Truck gun

As an FYI to those looking to traveling the grendel path (especially in the case of a pistol length barrel), it seems the sierra 130gr gamechangers may be a bit tough to expand at much distance in the aforementioned pistol barrel. Seems as though the 129 Accubond LRs or maybe even the 123gr SSTs might be a much better choice at grendel (at least pistol)speeds. Figured I'd throw it out there before you bought two boxes like i did.

That's good to hear they've stepped-up their game. Based on my prior experiences, I would be fairly leery of buying Howa, but that's only based on my own personal experiences.

I would probably get that new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel with the 22" threaded barrel, that uses AR mags.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html
Not a fan of mags hanging out where my hand goes on hunting rifles most the time, but as much as i like that little ruger american i have, I sure wouldnt mind picking up one of those either if the opportunity arose.

Not a fan of mags hanging out where my hand goes on hunting rifles most the time, but as much as i like that little ruger american i have, I sure wouldnt mind picking up one of those either if the opportunity arose.
The single thing that I dislike about the Howa Mini is the mag hanging down. I wish that there was a "BDL" bottom metal option for it. Hell, I'd take an "ADL" option over the current DBM. I am looking at possibly epoxying the mag body into the aftermarket bottom metal and then milling it all almost flat.

The single thing that I dislike about the Howa Mini is the mag hanging down. I wish that there was a "BDL" bottom metal option for it. Hell, I'd take an "ADL" option over the current DBM. I am looking at possibly epoxying the mag body into the aftermarket bottom metal and then milling it all almost flat.

With careful planing, Most mags can be cut down to fit flush with the stock. Obviously this reduces the capacity but it does make handier out of a window.

J E CUSTOM

In this case the simplest path in this direction will leave the mag's bottom plate full thickness proud to the bottom of the stock. This is far more a handling feel issue than anything else. The material that would be removed will scarcely make any impact of rifle weight. This rifle project was originally conceived to hold only 3 rounds in the mag, so it's not a loss.

I'm kind of surprised at how few times a lever gun has been mentioned. They are the original "truck gun" going back to before there were trucks. Were I more northern than I am a .375 Win M94 would be a good choice. Were there more varmints that direly needed dispatching I'd be looking at the previously mentioned Savage 99 in .250-3000 & wondering who I could find to rebarrel it in .22-250.

My 300 BLK 8.5" barrel, linear muzzle break, real fun to shoot and definitely a truck gun !
2412-2017-0549525189278202748.jpeg.jpg

2412-2017-0549525189278202748.jpeg.jpg

Yea, really hard to beat a well built and tuned AR for a truck gun.
Truth be known, my choice would probably be the gun I keep on go here at home. 16" barrelled AR that I built myself in 556. 30 round mag, 4-14 Burris mtac optics on top, Burris reflex sight on a 45* mount , match grade barrel and trigger. Light, collapsible, reliable, almost 1/2 moa accuracy with Black Hills 77gn factory reloads . Very effective at vermin control, 2 or 4 legged. Its the same basic outfit as far as firepower goes that wardens in polar bear country use to stop problem bears in the Indian villages of northern Alaska. There isn't much on this planet that has fur that can stand an accurate barrage of gun fire from a 30 round mag of 556.

Last edited:
Ive been throwing the idea around on building an AR pistol. I just back off when I think about the brace being mistaken for a stock by an uninformed peace officer and the hassle of going through all the crap to get my gun back after he/she confiscates it because I dont have a stamp for it.

Recent Posts