Show me your favorite Coyote gun

I wish I had your sponsor.gun)
That's a newly acquired status, both of these rifles were bought and paid for.
It's extremely humbling to have a rifle builder of this quality present us with this kind of opportunity.

I wish I had a lot more...but I (we) worked our butts off for this one.

Rem 700m VLS .22-250 topped by a Leupold 6-18 scope shooting Hornady 50 gr handloads.

second gun is Rem 700 VLS. 243 caliber with 6.5-20 Leupold. I fire 100 Gr Hornadys in it.

Both are heavy so I have backups that are Stiller actions with Brux barrels and stocks by Stocky's

Mine is kind of a plain Jane, but I like it. Kimber Montana in 17 Rem.
DSCF4350.jpg

Savage model 10 action, PTG Bolt Body, PTG bolt head, Shilen SS Select 6.5 Creedmoor 26", HS Precision stock, Rifle basix trigger, NSS Lug and Nut, Karstens comb, Dark Eagle Customs magazine, Valdada base, rings, & scope 6-24x50 Extreme MOA, Devcon bedded base and stock, Manson Reamed rings.

Here it is before all the modifications just a standard Model 10 savage 6.5 Creedmoor

I sold several other customs to built my ultimate coyote rifle, and ended up with this:

Melanited Bat VR action with integral recoil lug and picatinny base, McMillan Edge filled Classic stock, 22" Rock Creek 6mm 8 twist #3 contour barrel, Seekins rings, and a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce with the MOAR reticle, chambered in tight necked 6x47 Lapua, and throated for the 105 Bergers. Weighs an ounce or two over 8 pounds.

Shoots pretty good too......12" group at 1408:

I sold several other customs to built my ultimate coyote rifle, and ended up with this:

Melanited Bat VR action with integral recoil lug and picatinny base, McMillan Edge filled Classic stock, 22" Rock Creek 6mm 8 twist #3 contour barrel, Seekins rings, and a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce with the MOAR reticle, chambered in tight necked 6x47 Lapua, and throated for the 105 Bergers. Weighs an ounce or two over 8 pounds.

Shoots pretty good too......12" group at 1408:

Very nice!!

COMMING SOON:

Expecting delivery sometime in August on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor topped with my current Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 scope W/Horus 59 reticle.

The barrel comes threaded from the factory and I'll likely add a Surefire quick attach suppressor next year. Rumor and government testing has it that there is less POI shift with Surfires than most other suppressors.

Shot my favorite gun last weekend ( the one pictured in the original post). Shot 9 times at 500 yards. Not in a row. That was getting up, walking around, spotting for others, and everything else. I was more or less plinking with it for fun, but I ended up with a 3" group at 500 yards. Which I thought was pretty good for all the commotion going on and just plinking around. 55 grain bullets aren't be greatest at that range, but 99% of my coyote kills are inside of 300.

New to the forum, but love coyote hunting in E Wa. My gun is a Vanguard 25.06 with a McGowen 30' full bull barrel and Jewell trigger 1.0 lb pull on a Axom stock. Very heavy but a nail driver. I'm old so don't walk far LOL.

BRGUIDE,

I like your Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. I've ordered a Ruger American Predator (a varmint weight barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor for both long range competition and coyote hunting.

My proposed upgrades to the Predator:
1. fill butt stock and forearm with RTV or some other filler for better balance and recoil mitigation
2. Karsten adjustable cheekpiece
3. remove sling studs and replace with flush QR cups

Nice rigs and evidently quite effective. What state did you bag the 'yotes in?

I suppose I could use my 5.56 Steyr AUG for hunting 'yotes too. It has only a 1.5 X fixed scope bit it is good for fast, closer shots.

I need to begin looking for some good telescoping shooting sticks.

Thanks guys. They have done well for me.

Litehiker: you should give that rifle a chance. Low power should do fine. Even out a ways. I carry a monopod as well. Helps on the steeper downhill slopes.

I live in central Montana. Upper rifle is Savage 10 243 in a McMillan HTG stock. More of a long range dogger. Sure nice having the RR Coyote rifle for quick follow up shots or multiple dogs coming in on a stand.

Have another "snow camo" rifle being built in (17 Tac). Should be done just in time for this season.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.