Do you reload your own coyote ammo or shoot factory? Whats your favorite load?

I think I'm the only one here that hunts yotes with a 210gn Berger Hunting VLD from a 300WM :D.

Definitely overkill, and probably not for everyone, but I just use my big game load (and rifle) to hunt yotes.
My thoughts about it have always been to use coyote hunting (year round here) to prime for deer, elk, bear seasons so I use the same heavy *** gear for Wiley and his bitches too.
Less thinking. Since I'm confident where the VLD will hit for me at a given range in a given wind it just makes sense for me to use what I know.
The Berger folds em inside out leaving a massive cavity where it was hit. Like a grenade! If I do my part right they stay put. If I was worried about destroying the pelt I'd shoot a 60gn 223 but yotes, bless their little pureed hearts, just aren't purty like foxes and bobcats!

Practice=proficiency for me and this approach keeps me salty better than a static location and fixed bench does.

Take care.

I think I'm the only one here that hunts yotes with a 210gn Berger Hunting VLD from a 300WM :D.

Definitely overkill, and probably not for everyone, but I just use my big game load (and rifle) to hunt yotes.
My thoughts about it have always been to use coyote hunting (year round here) to prime for deer, elk, bear seasons so I use the same heavy *** gear for Wiley and his bitches too.
Less thinking. Since I'm confident where the VLD will hit for me at a given range in a given wind it just makes sense for me to use what I know.
The Berger folds em inside out leaving a massive cavity where it was hit. Like a grenade! If I do my part right they stay put. If I was worried about destroying the pelt I'd shoot a 60gn 223 but yotes, bless their little pureed hearts, just aren't purty like foxes and bobcats!

Practice=proficiency for me and this approach keeps me salty better than a static location and fixed bench does.

Take care.

Don't blame you a bit. If my coyote hunting wasn't so thick here I would have never bought the short 22-250s and shotguns I have now. I would would have been toting the 300 or 338 RUM I use the rest of the year. Practice with the same gun will surely keep you proficient with it. Those nearly 50" long guns are just not handy in the brush and with all the gear.

Soon as I get ta reloadin ill be sending 180g ballistic tips and possibly some 210 vlds at em outa my 300 wsm....as for now its 150 grain silvertips.....

Just sold my last varmint rig and bought another 22-250. Now shooting Hornady 50 gr spitzers backed by 36 gr of varget, remington brass, cci primers. Shot one yote with it at 50 steps. Entry, no exit.
Here is an interesting note: These bullets were given to me by my Father In Law. Three boxes of them. He bought them several years ago in the hopes of putting them to use. Price on the boxes was 6 dollars and change.

I've just started reloading 55gr nosler ballistic tip with 24 gr H335. 1 inch groups
from my DPMS panther ar-15. Have very good luck out to 300 yrds.
Started with 55 gr Vmax factory loads. Good round but better luck with my
reloaded nosler rounds.

Well I use a .308 or a .06. My fav is the 308 with a 165gr SPBT getting pushed by 44.1gr of IMR4064. Dont know what it does on coyote but if I hits a rib bone on the way in on a deer there is a big hole on the other side! its more like bang slam twitch LOL

Have not used factory ammo yet. We started using the .257 Roberts with 85 gr. NBT H4895 W-W case CCI 200. This bullet seems to hold up better in the wind and is plenty accurate for the distances we are shooting. It is not exactly a fur friendly load though. Got a yote trip planned in a couple weeks.

I got 2 rifles .308 & 30.06 both shoot 150gr fmj 150gr spbt IMR4064 or varget. Havent got 1 yet but I dont see any prob. Both shoot 200Y dead on.

i have shot over two hundred coyotes ,started with seventeen rem and 30 gr gold,then twenty tactical 33 vmax with mixed results alot of blow ups on shoulder shots, they go down after the shot then rite back up running on three legs hell bound. went with a fast twist 22-250 80 gr amaxes longest shot at 655yds two witnesses up the bung hole out right front rib,never lost a coyote with this load at any angle, also deadly on wild pigs,i shot that barrel out rebarreled to a 6x47 lapua shoot 107 pills with same results.the best combo is my 6.5 creedmore with 123 amaxes 20 shot semi auto target turrets out to 1000 very accurate and just like our local car dealer says no body walks away.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.