ballistic reticle or dial? illuminated? whats your favorite reticle for coyote ?

wc870

I just figured I would see what folks like and why, I had a scope go down and need to replace it. heres my choice, Leupold VXR CDS.
We can't hunt at night here in CT but that last 1/2 hr after sunset can get get pretty dark so the illuminated reticle is a plus, most shots around here are well under 300 yards so if they are farther i'll have time to dial. Just my 2c

All my varmint guns just have a standard reticle or basic ballistic reticle. I don't dial didily squat and just hold. We hunt with spot lights at night some times out to about 2-300 yards. 90 percent of mine have a Vortex Diamondback, VX1, Fullfield II.

Last edited:
I zero at 200y and with that, you can just hold center mass on everything from 50y to 250y, which covers 99% of applications. Then I memorize holds for 300, 350, and 400, which is pretty easy to do. If I'm in between those holds, I'll make a quick adjustment. FFP scopes and while I use a handful of different scopes and reticles, I prefer something that aids in holding, whether that be a modified mil dot or a full Christmas tree, as long as I can identify holds quickly. There just aren't many times when a yote will be in the same place long enough for you to range, glance at the dope, dial, get on target and shoot. I didn't say "never" but I think they are rare, at least where I live. Knowing my holds to 400y and shooting an ffp optic covers almost everything I encounter.

But, I still miss. I just want to put that out there. I saw a post a few days ago where several people were acting like they hit every coyote they see. Well, I don't. I wish I did, but I miss quite a few every year.

I zero at 200y and with that, you can just hold center mass on everything from 50y to 250y, which covers 99% of applications. Then I memorize holds for 300, 350, and 400, which is pretty easy to do. If I'm in between those holds, I'll make a quick adjustment. FFP scopes and while I use a handful of different scopes and reticles, I prefer something that aids in holding, whether that be a modified mil dot or a full Christmas tree, as long as I can identify holds quickly. There just aren't many times when a yote will be in the same place long enough for you to range, glance at the dope, dial, get on target and shoot. I didn't say "never" but I think they are rare, at least where I live. Knowing my holds to 400y and shooting an ffp optic covers almost everything I encounter.

But, I still miss. I just want to put that out there. I saw a post a few days ago where several people were acting like they hit every coyote they see. Well, I don't. I wish I did, but I miss quite a few every year.
I agree, all my rifles are zeroed at 200, being a former High Power shooter my brain is trained for that math. Ive never had to dial yet but the option would be nice. Miss? not me, lol. I have missed my fair share as well and its usually not the far ones! its usually the ones comin' in hot and catching me off guard.

Ballistic reticle for me , with wind holds and all sorts if info on notes ,on stock with packing tape.
Real piece of work , scope is a "fad buy" , had to have a vortex ,and can't count the times I looked down at the giant knobs and they had bumped on the brush or somthing, and were off!
So now I have a white mark on the knobs so I can tell if they have moved.
Another benefit of the knobs is you can hand your rifle to someone to use as a shooting stick,yeah that just rest their gun on one of the knobs.

For years I just ran a fixed 10 power scope with a duplex reticle . I still don't change the power on my scope for the most part I set it at the upper magnification and leave it there . But I don't live where you do my area is pretty open compared to some of the brushy or swampy areas some of you live in . For my calling rifle , a 223 bolt action wincherter model 70 , I zero it at 100 yards and leave it there as for calling most of my shots can be taken well under 100 yards so I don't set it at battle range of 200 yards because I tend to shoot over or under them when I set it at 200 yards . With the equipment I use I don't take shots longer then 300 yards because that's past my comfort zone with it . If I find the need to reach out on a specific coyote that won't come closer after a couple of attempts days of calling it , I change to another rifle , a 1973 , 30-06 winchester model 70 or a 6.5 x 284 built for those coyote . The 30-06 has a fixed 12 , and the 6.5 has a 8.5x25 mil dot reticle . Both of these rifles are zeroed at 200 yards .I don't like a very busy reticle and tend to believe in keeping it simple when I can . Nobody hits them all but do your best to stack the deck in your favor for calling think close shots under 100 yards seems to be the normal .

Last edited:
I
I just figured I would see what folks like and why, I had a scope go down and need to replace it. heres my choice, Leupold VXR CDS.
We can't hunt at night here in CT but that last 1/2 hr after sunset can get get pretty dark so the illuminated reticle is a plus, most shots around here are well under 300 yards so if they are farther i'll have time to dial. Just my 2c I like an illuminated reticle for sure, for me something with a dot works for me , I'm running a cheap but highly functional Vortex Crossfire 6-18X44 with the V-Brite reticle , a real sleeper given its' price point. However I may upgrade to a Sightron this spring, with a dot and illumination. I've run the Vortex a year now and absolutely spot on.

Went to ballistic and never use it coyote hunting.About 2 inches high at 100 and really close at 240.Hold center mass and send it,been working pretty good for me.22-250 Not always a lot of time to pull the trigger.

I agree whole heartedly on the K.I.S.S. theory, a simple duplex style always seems to be best and don't take crazy shots

Redfield 2X7 Accu-Range reticle (duplex crosshairs with a small circle in the center). It helps me get on target quickly when they pop out of the brush or are running. Zero for 200 yds.

I use 100 yard zero and a Mil R reticle. My brain works good that way, It's pretty simple for me. I never touch the turrets and I do like the elimination early in the morning and at the end of the day if need be.