Do you reload your own coyote ammo or shoot factory? Whats your favorite load?

I haven't shot any yotes with them yet. I sure have heard a lot of bad things about vmax's lately. I might have to make the switch. I'm thinking Berger...lightbulb
both were head on chest shots, they fell down and then jumped up and ran off, i was able to blood trail one in the snow but it eventually ran out and no coyote at the end

I'm mostly loading the 40 gr vmax for bobcat... I think I'm going to try something else for coyotes. Something a little heavier then 40.

I like a 50 grain vmax over 26 grains of N133 in a lake city case with a wolf small rifle primer. The manual says 3533 FPS from a 24" barrel. I haven't had an opertunity to test my new chronograph so I haven't verified that.

I just finished an AR build so I am tempted to work up something with a heavier bullet just to see what happens.

I use a .223 Ruger 77 MkII, pushing a 50 grain V-Max with Winchester 748, Hornady brass and CCI 450 primer at 3350 fps. 6 for 6 this winter. Now that the wind will start up, I will be using my .257 Roberts with 75 grain V-Max at 3500 fps or my .264 Win Mag. with 120 grain Barnes TSX at 3480 fps. All of these rounds have performed well.

If it is real tight cover, I use a 12 guage with 1 1/2 oz of copper plated BB, out to 50 yards it gets the job done.

MEV

.223, 50grn TNT, 24grns, H322, cci primers, 1-12 twist single shot H&R Ulrta Varmiter. This has been my load for 20 years and has put a few coyotes and other vermin on the ground. Shoots .75 MOA.

.223 AI 1x12 twist 55 vmax fed small rifle primer max load of Varget. .243 win 87 vmax fed large rifle primer 37.5 grains varget 1x10 twist .243 win 1x9 twist Hornady 87 bthp 37.1 IMR 4064 fed large rifle primer, Hornady reload manual load. .243 win 55 nbt 44.5 grains H4895 fed large rifle primer 1x10 twist. .243 win 55nbt accuracy load from Nosler reload manual for Varget 1x10 twist. Have been shooting 110 vmax with varget out of 1x10 twist .308 win. Dont remember load. Blows up 2 liter pop bottles full of water at 200 yards!:D

I don't think I've ever shot a coyote with factory ammo.

For several years now I have used Hdy. 50gr. Vmax. They have performed very well. My rifle likes them a lot and that makes me happy.

Favorite recipe:
Win. brass
CCI primer
36.7gr. Varget
50 gr. v-max

Yes, I know it's a hot load. It has performed well, and unfortunately my rifle performs best with this load. I've done several ladder tests at different charges and this is by far the best performer.

These are both warm loads and should be worked up to.
22-250 rem. 34gr IMR 3031, rem brass, cci 200 primer. 50gr Hornady SP.

22-250 rem. 35gr IMR 3031, rem brass, cci 200, 52gr Hornady Amax.

Both of these loads shoot under half moa to 300yds in my Tikka and have accounted for alot of coyotes bang flopped for my brother and I. I've replaced the 52gr Amax with the 52gr Hornady hpbt match bullet with the same accuracy, but not as quick of expansion as the Amax.

I also use 58gr vmax in my 243 win. with 43gr of Varget, federal brass, and rem 9.5 primers. This load will honestly shoot 3/8" at 100 yds with my Browning BLR. I've shot a dozen yotes with it since I got it this fall and it puts yotes down with authority.

Good luck!

Howdy,

For the last 40 years I have used a 257 Roberts. Most of my coyotes were killed with IMR 3031 or Hodgdon Varget and 75 gr. Sierra hollow points. I load to get right at 3000 fps. I can document over 2300 rounds through this rifle, and I can document over 1200 rounds with one of these basic loads.

In this rifle, this load still shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards. When I first developed this load, it would shoot right at 3/8ths inch. Part of the increase in size is most assuredly my eyesight and age. Still, I paid off my college loans with coyotes and these loads.

Best to you and good shooting.

Coach

Out of my Rem. Sendero VSSF II in 220 swift, I use 55 gr Nosler BTs with 38 gr of H380. Only goes 3500 fps which is mild for the swift but my barrel is gonna last a little longer!

My new fav. go to gun for coyotes is my 6.5 Grendel AR. I have it pushing a 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip behind 29.5 gr of H322. It knocks the crap out of the coyotes no matter where I hit them! I am fixing to work up a load with the 120 gr Noslers next.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.