Scope Mounting Options?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I will soon be purchasing a Bergara B14 Hunter that will be paired with a Gen I Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50.

What are some recommendations for mounting? Ring recommendations? Should I do a picatinny rail and if so, 0 moa or 20 moa? Also, with the rail, if my scope is in mils, do I just need to make the moa to mil conversion if I do use the 20 moa base?

Thank you!

For your consideration ...

Burris XTR sig rings.JPG

Are you on a budget or price not a factor? You can get a set of tally lightweight 20 moa from midway for under $70 right now

The Bergara B14 Hunter action is basically an M700 model including that stupid two diameter rear ring. The only thing this brings to the table is the fact that there are so many options for accessories because of the multitude of M700s in the hands of shooters. It could have been a same diameter rings as the front ring, creating no problems and solving some mounting eccentricities.

upload_2019-4-3_8-49-48.png

Should I do a picatinny rail and if so, 0 moa or 20 moa?

I like the rails from the standpoint of adjusting the ring spacing and position on the action based on the scope. However, unless you intend to shoot at 1,000 yards all the time, I'd stick with the 0 MOA rail and skip all the thinking about the 20 degree rail. Those of us who shoot LR or ELR often need the angled rails to help with getting on target at extreme ranges but in general, the hunters here in the U.S. can do without the increased elevation.

All the variations in rings above are great. Spuhr are my favorites but they can be a little heavy when compared to either the Burris or the lighter Talley alloy rings. When hunters are trying to shed ounces, I'll suggest the Talley's.

Enjoy!

If you already have, or plan to have in your future, other high power rifles, it is nice to keep similar mounting systems on each.

I always take 2-3 rifles on a hunt. All of my rifles have a Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail, and Seekins alloy rings hold each scope I own. If, for some reason, I ever damaged a scope, it is quick and easy to swap.scopes from one rifle to another. Zero will need to be readjusted from one rifle to the next, but are always fairly close. Most rifles and cartridges do lot need 20MOA rails to get to 1000 yards. In fact, probably none that would retain the energy and velocity needed to take game at 1000 yards need 20MOA rails unless you have some oddball scope that has very little elevation adjustment.

The Vortex PST Gen 1 4-16×50 has 21MIL of elevation. Meaning approximately 10.5MIL if you went with a 0MOA Picatinny rail. Most cartridges will easily get to 1000 in 10.5MIL. If you go with a 20MOA rail, that adds about 5.8MIL of elevation adjustment. Meaning you would have about 16MIL of elevation to use. That should get you to 1500 yards in a lot of cartridges. Probably not for hunting, but for ringing steel or smacking rocks.

If the Bergara uses a standard Rem 700 mounting setup (I know the action's footprint and design is based off the 700), use an EGW HD 20MOA base, and Seekins Precision 30mm Low rings.

Noted. Now, dumb question... A 20 moa base "gives" you an additional 20 moa of adjustment, correct? Do you still just mount the rail, the rings and sight in as normal? What exactly does a 20 moa rail do?

If you already have, or plan to have in your future, other high power rifles, it is nice to keep similar mounting systems on each.

I always take 2-3 rifles on a hunt. All of my rifles have a Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail, and Seekins alloy rings hold each scope I own. If, for some reason, I ever damaged a scope, it is quick and easy to swap.scopes from one rifle to another. Zero will need to be readjusted from one rifle to the next, but are always fairly close. Most rifles and cartridges do lot need 20MOA rails to get to 1000 yards. In fact, probably none that would retain the energy and velocity needed to take game at 1000 yards need 20MOA rails unless you have some oddball scope that has very little elevation adjustment.

The Vortex PST Gen 1 4-16×50 has 21MIL of elevation. Meaning approximately 10.5MIL if you went with a 0MOA Picatinny rail. Most cartridges will easily get to 1000 in 10.5MIL. If you go with a 20MOA rail, that adds about 5.8MIL of elevation adjustment. Meaning you would have about 16MIL of elevation to use. That should get you to 1500 yards in a lot of cartridges. Probably not for hunting, but for ringing steel or smacking rocks.

So, what is the sight in process of a 20 moa rail? How do you use a 20 moa rail? Trying to understand this all! Does this mean my scope is already adjusted 20 moa? Explain please, would be much appreciated!

In a nutshell, 20 moa rings or a 20moa rail give you an additional 20 moa of vertical (elevation)adjustment . It also helps keep your internal lenses centered in the tube instead of pushed too the edge of adjustment, usually making tracking a bit more accurate!

In a nutshell, 20 moa rings or a 20moa rail give you an additional 20 moa of vertical (elevation)adjustment . It also helps keep your internal lenses centered in the tube instead of pushed too the edge of adjustment, usually making tracking a bit more accurate!

Ok, I understand the part about giving you an extra 20 moa... my confusion comes in regarding how to utilize this? As in when determining vertical drop data, how do you find your true "dial to" on the elevation turret considering you have a 20 moa rail installed?

Say your scope has 60 moa total adjustment.30 up, 30 down from optical center. You use 5 of that up too get dead on at 100. Now you have 25 of up adjustment left. say you wanna shoot at 900 yards and your dope is 32 moa up! You don't have it! Now the same scope in a 20 moa mounting system adds 20 moa up too your 25 and you now have 45 moa total elevation too use for the same shot. Understand?

20 MOA rail is chanted down in the front. Meaning not in plane with the bore.

Like stated above, you now have to dial an additional 20MOA up to zero your riflescope. You are now not zeroed in the center of your adjust.ent range, but 20MOA from center. Now, if you are shooting at a distant target that requires 20MOA of elevation adjustment, you are just getting to center, and you still have half of total adjustment available.

With 0MOA rail: Scope w. 60MOA of total adjustment=30 up, 30 down
With 20MOA rail: scope w. 60MOA of total adjustment=50 up, 10 down.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.