New Scope Options

taylorjones20

I currently have a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50 but I am looking for something with a little more elevation and that is either MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL, not MOA/MIL like this one.

I am shooting a Savage LRH 6.5-284 norma and would like to get out to 1000 yards without any elevation issues.

What's your opinions?

I currently have a weaver 20 MOA base. I will be upgrading base and rings as well.

Opinions on those as well are welcomed.

20 MOA base + your scope's internal elevation adjustment (55 MOA total or 27.5 MOA from zero) should easily get you to 1000 yards. 20 + 27.5 should give you "ideally" ~ 47.5 MOA of elevation from zero.

Are you just looking to upgrade scope, base, and rings?

I currently have a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50 but I am looking for something with a little more elevation and that is either MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL, not MOA/MIL like this one.

I am shooting a Savage LRH 6.5-284 norma and would like to get out to 1000 yards without any elevation issues.

What's your opinions?
That is a very underrated scope.

What's your opinions?

These are great scopes and will be hard to beat by any scope makers but very pricy . No tools required to zero these scopes , the glass is on par or better then the big names out there .
Tangent Theta

20 MOA base + your scope's internal elevation adjustment (55 MOA total or 27.5 MOA from zero) should easily get you to 1000 yards. 20 + 27.5 should give you "ideally" ~ 47.5 MOA of elevation from zero.

Are you just looking to upgrade scope, base, and rings?

Especially w/ the 6.5x284 lazer!

Do you have your base on backwards??? :D

The Weavers are pretty good scopes for the money, especially the Super Slams on sale at Natchez Shooters, you've got to love their pull up locking turrets needing no tools to rezero them, but they only have ~50MOA travel. With a 20 MOA rail that is plenty to get to 1,000 yards. You should be pretty close with 25 MOA. A good upgrade might be the VX-6 4-24x52, with the new HD line coming out there will probably be some of the "old" ones on sale. I think the have ~70 MOA and in the 22oz range.

Ok ok, you don't like your MOA/MIL and want same units, but why the need for more elevation?

Also we need your budget

Ok, so here is my drop chart. Shooting 2800 fps

My scope maxes out at 37.25 MOA which is under 900 yards.

I am not 100% positive that the scope tracks back to zero properly. I have it sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 yards. I checked to see how much MOA I could get out of the scope and that's when I noticed it stopping at 37.25. I shot it after going back to zero and it now shoots dead on at 100 yards instead of 1.5" high...

Attachments

• MOA Chart.jpg
    MOA Chart.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 105
A few things; 2800 is slow for the 6.5x284 unless you have a true 0.1" load you should be well above 2900 and more like the 3000fps range.
Even at 2800 fps you stall aren't at the drops you are showing, I think you need to recalculate something.
"are you sure you don't have the base on backwards ?"
LOL

Hmmm... My 6.5 Creed when run at 2800 fps with a 140 ELD, puts me at 1000 yards with right about 30 minutes of elevation from a 100 yard zero.
Something just doesn't seem right with your data. Are you sure you're running 2800?

A few things; 2800 is slow for the 6.5x284 unless you have a true 0.1" load you should be well above 2900 and more like the 3000fps range.
Even at 2800 fps you stall aren't at the drops you are showing, I think you need to recalculate something.
"are you sure you don't have the base on backwards ?"
LOL

Yeah I'm sure the base is mounted correctly.

I don't have a 0.1" load. I am shooting 52 grains of H4831SC, Berger VLD 140, Nosler Brass. 2800 fps.

I used the gunwerks ballistic program. The farthest I have shot it is 450 yards and the moa was on then... Not really sure what could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.