New Scope Options

A few things; 2800 is slow for the 6.5x284 unless you have a true 0.1" load you should be well above 2900 and more like the 3000fps range.
Even at 2800 fps you stall aren't at the drops you are showing, I think you need to recalculate something.
"are you sure you don't have the base on backwards ?"
LOL

Agreed!

Agreed w/ the above.

Figure out how much total elevation your scope has compared to what is advertised, could be a problem and I'm sure millett will take care of you.

You shouldn't be getting CM velocities out of a 284 case.

I've shot it through a chronograph and the average was right around 2800 fps.

I thought that was pretty normal with the H4831SC... ?

I have a friend that has the exact same set up. Same gun, same loads, same scope, base, and rings. He can't get past 28 moa on his scope.

You should google scope base bedding. That way you and your buddy can check and see if your base is actually giving you 20 Moa.
Some need needed in the rear.

I've shot it through a chronograph and the average was right around 2800 fps.

I thought that was pretty normal with the H4831SC... ?

I have a friend that has the exact same set up. Same gun, same loads, same scope, base, and rings. He can't get past 28 moa on his scope.

What bullet are you using? Are you sure you have a 20 MOA? Unless there's something wrong with your scope, its internal up elevation adjustment of roughly 20-25 MOA should get you to 1000 yards.

What bullet are you using? Are you sure you have a 20 MOA? Unless there's something wrong with your scope, its internal up elevation adjustment of roughly 20-25 MOA should get you to 1000 yards.

Berger VLD 140 Hunting

Yes I am sure it's a 20 MOA base.

I just looked at the Nosler Match Grade factory ammo and it shoots 2750 fps

There must be something off with the ballistics. What's a trusted program/app I can use to check my current results against?

Hmmm.. I'm shooting every bit of that out of a 284win pushing 180's.

How about this... shoot your gun further than 450yds and give us a report.

I'm not sure how much this has to do with anything but I am in West TN and the Altitude is around 500. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Ok, so here is my drop chart. Shooting 2800 fps

My scope maxes out at 37.25 MOA which is under 900 yards.

I am not 100% positive that the scope tracks back to zero properly. I have it sighted in at 1.5" high at 100 yards. I checked to see how much MOA I could get out of the scope and that's when I noticed it stopping at 37.25. I shot it after going back to zero and it now shoots dead on at 100 yards instead of 1.5" high...

Berger VLD 140 Hunting

Yes I am sure it's a 20 MOA base.

I just looked at the Nosler Match Grade factory ammo and it shoots 2750 fps

There must be something off with the ballistics. What's a trusted program/app I can use to check my current results against?

Go here >>> Ballistics | Berger BulletsBerger Bullets and plug in your load data, and compare it with yours ... 37.5 MOA is plenty for 1000 yards. However, looks like you're being short change on the scope's internal adjustment of ~25-27.5 MOA from zero.

Oh boy... I think I found the problem. The ballistic coefficient was on G1 and I entered .313. It was supposed to be on G7 .313. The drop data looks MUCH better!

Oh boy... I think I found the problem. The ballistic coefficient was on G1 and I entered .313. It was supposed to be on G7 .313. The drop data looks MUCH better!

You should be getting something like this based on the info you provided ...

Attachments

• 6..5x284 norma.JPG
    6..5x284 norma.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.