Ruger MK11 stock options

Ruger tang safety stocks, leave the center screw only finger nail tight, or it will pull the center of the action down creating horrible harmonics for accuracy.

Also, very important to "float" the magazine box between the trigger guard and mag box. The mag box should be loose. You can often file some off the bottom of the mag box or touch the mag box to a belt sander, but this is critical when you want these Rugers shooting 1" and less at 200 yards.

Last edited:
Yea I got him near Laramie. What part of Wyoming do you live?
N/W Cody
I used to hunt N/E of Larimie near Chugwater from 1983 to 1987 on a ranch. Nice mulies and saw some monster whitetails there. Biggest I shot was a 9 pt. The river ran thru property. Where the Whitetail hung out. Lots of lopers there also. I'd draw a general tag for Muley or Whitetail. get a limited quota Whitetail tag. Doe tags. Buck lope tag. Doe tag. If didn't draw a general deer tag I'd get two limited Whitetail. . I'd come home with 3 deer and two lope every year. Could of got more doe tags but only had so much room !

Last edited:
I am real old & have done lots of stock work. I like Ruger 77 MKII's & Richard's Micro Fit Stocks.

I epoxy bed last 2 inches of barrel shank, recoil lug area, & tang. I go for hair line fits between wood & metal and spend a moderate amount of time scraping wood & use inletting black. I replace the front large angled slotted receiver screw with an allen head screw (Midway about $3) and apply about 60+ inch pounds of torque (real tight) the other screws are tightened up just enough so they won't back out. Ruger M77 receivers are real stiff but avoid flexing them with screw tension. I also coat the stock magazine well with a light coat of epoxy. The sheet metal magazine is shortened so it won't bind when screws are tightened (no "pillar bed" with magazine box).

Favored epoxy is J-B Weld Steel, one set 1 oz each epoxy & hardener enough for 1 job. Shoe polish works real good for release agent. Simple tools - 1/4 & 1/2 chisels, 3/8 gouge, gun line multi disk 5/8 barrel scraper, & large & mid size 1/2 round cabinet files. Use a wood rasp for extensive shaping. Keep edged tools real sharp with diamond hone. I like a slight negative pitch so I cut stock & attach recoil pads. I use Minwax Satin Poly Rub to finish stocks. Sand flat surfaces real flat with 150 grit obital power sander, then 220 grit & finish with 320 grit. I like the new blue colored sand paper. Nice wood having a moderate figure with good grain flow in grip area makes me happy. Bastogne walnut is my favorite solid wood.

I also like laminated wood. I can shape the wood exactly to my liking with a wood rasp & files. When shooting a big kicker like my .375, the light weight plastic stocks feel egg shell thick against the recoil slam. I guess a high price plastic stock would not be like tupper ware.

I like to shoot distant rodents & a hit over 1/4 mile away make me happy - real high hit probability at 400 & under. The laminated stocks don't warp. Scratches on finish serve as momento's of happy hits on the distant rodents but sanding & refinishing is no big deal.

I am real old & have done lots of stock work. I like Ruger 77 MKII's & Richard's Micro Fit Stocks.

I epoxy bed last 2 inches of barrel shank, recoil lug area, & tang. I go for hair line fits between wood & metal and spend a moderate amount of time scraping wood & use inletting black. I replace the front large angled slotted receiver screw with an allen head screw (Midway about $3) and apply about 60+ inch pounds of torque (real tight) the other screws are tightened up just enough so they won't back out. Ruger M77 receivers are real stiff but avoid flexing them with screw tension. I also coat the stock magazine well with a light coat of epoxy. The sheet metal magazine is shortened so it won't bind when screws are tightened (no "pillar bed" with magazine box).

Favored epoxy is J-B Weld Steel, one set 1 oz each epoxy & hardener enough for 1 job. Shoe polish works real good for release agent. Simple tools - 1/4 & 1/2 chisels, 3/8 gouge, gun line multi disk 5/8 barrel scraper, & large & mid size 1/2 round cabinet files. Use a wood rasp for extensive shaping. Keep edged tools real sharp with diamond hone. I like a slight negative pitch so I cut stock & attach recoil pads. I use Minwax Satin Poly Rub to finish stocks. Sand flat surfaces real flat with 150 grit obital power sander, then 220 grit & finish with 320 grit. I like the new blue colored sand paper. Nice wood having a moderate figure with good grain flow in grip area makes me happy. Bastogne walnut is my favorite solid wood.

I also like laminated wood. I can shape the wood exactly to my liking with a wood rasp & files. When shooting a big kicker like my .375, the light weight plastic stocks feel egg shell thick against the recoil slam. I guess a high price plastic stock would not be like tupper ware.

I like to shoot distant rodents & a hit over 1/4 mile away make me happy - real high hit probability at 400 & under. The laminated stocks don't warp. Scratches on finish serve as momento's of happy hits on the distant rodents but sanding & refinishing is no big deal.
I went thru a search today for Rem 700 ADL short action. I usually check out Stockys. Not much out there. Found a B&C on ebay. Put a bid.

Should be something there - time to ship is about 8 weeks for custom order, lots of variety and options like wood/laminates, recoil pads, comb height, forend width & such - then stock work. Specials and in-stock ship real quick but selection limited.

I made this Ruger M77 MKII (.22-.250, push feed M77 MKII) from a uninletted but rough shaped stock intended for a S/A Rem 700. Huge amount of picky work but that stock was used as a pattern for other stocks that were easy to complete. That situation would be to find somebody to shape & machine inlet, using an existing stock as a pattern & risk damage or loss. This gets into thinking of buying a duplicator ($$$) to copy stocks or just make it easy and buy the stock - use Richard's site to select stock then provide credit card number & wait 8 weeks. Buyng a ready made stock & attaching the barreled action has appeal. The stock shown was designed by an old time Seattle area gunsmith well known for custom rifles and shooting/hunting abilities.

IMG_1417.JPG

Last edited:
Should be something there - time to ship is about 8 weeks for custom order, lots of variety and options like wood/laminates, recoil pads, comb height, forend width & such - then stock work. Specials and in-stock ship real quick but selection limited.

I made this Ruger M77 MKII (.22-.250, push feed M77 MKII) from a uninletted but rough shaped stock intended for a S/A Rem 700. Huge amount of picky work but that stock was used as a pattern for other stocks that were easy to complete. That situation would be to find somebody to shape & machine inlet, using an existing stock as a pattern & risk damage or loss. This gets into thinking of buying a duplicator ($$$) to copy stocks or just make it easy and buy the stock - use Richard's site to select stock then provide credit card number & wait 8 weeks. Buyng a ready made stock & attaching the barreled action has appeal. The stock shown was designed by an old time Seattle area gunsmith well known for custom rifles and shooting/hunting abilities.

View attachment 371482
Very nice !