Remington 700 stock options?

lightbulbYou can thank Savage technology and innovations for that! Probably one of their most technological advancement in nearly 6 decades.lightbulb

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/1/2/the-remington-783/

I still hate the barrel nut design...Regardless of who produces the rifle. If I were to build a 783, I would remove the nut, and use a crush-fit design like the 700.

I also wouldn't stress to call it a "technological advancement"...I'd just call it a "uniquely identifying characteristic". Just my personal opinion.

I still hate the barrel nut design...Regardless of who produces the rifle. If I were to build a 783, I would remove the nut, and use a crush-fit design like the 700.

I also wouldn't stress to call it a "technological advancement"...I'd just call it a "uniquely identifying characteristic". Just my personal opinion.

... and you're certainly entitled to that while others (both Remington, Savage, and Ruger barrel nut owners) are raking the benefits.

Friendly question as I hear this from a lot of people.

WHY do you hate the barrel nut design?

Ugly?

Don't have to spend $ with a gunsmith to swap a barrel?

You can adjust headspace AFTER barrel install?

Too easy to swap calibers or even run switchbarrel rigs?

Too fast to assemble? I can swap a nut barrel in about 4 minutes.

Stud versus bolt/nut juncture superiority?

Increased effective tenon length?

I have had a lot of conversations in person with guys who hate the NUT but never have gotten a real good explanation other than some references to stud superiority which I find to be a little hard to believe since any rig with a recoil lug the interface essentially functions as a nut/bolt versus a stud anyway.

I wonder if it isn't just mainly UGLY and BRAND LOYALTY

I'm not loyal to the Savage brand, now that the Remage system is being served by some barrel makers I will probably move to a Remmy footprint for stock availability, though I'm not a fan of action screw location.

I am LOYAL to the NUT though. Once I retire and have a lathe in my garage I may change but until then I will be building 3X the number of rigs I could afford without a NUT.

And please keep in mind most of us don't have a machinist buddy who will build a rifle for peanuts and have it done in 2 weeks. That is an ANOMALY not an AVERAGE.

Curious as to the HATE is all. I don't HATE Remmy's, Rugers or Winny's, just don't like being tied into a certain caliber or having to rely on someone other than myself to work on one.

Thanks in advance for your reply

... and you're certainly entitled to that while others (both Remington, Savage, and Ruger barrel nut owners) are raking the benefits.

More power to them. The main reason I don't like it, is because while it is "cool" and DIY-friendly, it is also eliminating the need for a gunsmith...Which the more DIY stuff comes out, the more gunsmiths will become obsolete. For those of you who don't have one nearby, or don't really know your gunsmith on a personal level, like I do, you don't get that same respect for them as a person, as you would if you went to their shop, saw them work, shot the bull, and really got to know them as a person. Most folks just think of them as that dude in another state, who's taking a year to build my rifle that he's gonna charge me a fortune for his time and labor.

It's just 1 more step into doing away with true craftsmanship, IMO. Gunsmiths are artists. And the more we eliminate the need for them, the more that art form will die. And when it's dead, it will eventually become extinct. And then it becomes a **** shame to see that technology has traded-off true craftsmanship and skill, for any random idiot in a garage with a monkey wrench and a vise. No offense to anyone, just using that as an analogy.

While I am all about DIY, and learning to do everything I can. I am/was a metal fabricator by trade, and was for most of my life, and I have watched how robotics and technology have basically killed-off the job market for people with my skills. I don't want to see the same thing happen for gunsmiths...But that's the direction we're heading.

More power to them. The main reason I don't like it, is because while it is "cool" and DIY-friendly, it is also eliminating the need for a gunsmith...Which the more DIY stuff comes out, the more gunsmiths will become obsolete. For those of you who don't have one nearby, or don't really know your gunsmith on a personal level, like I do, you don't get that same respect for them as a person, as you would if you went to their shop, saw them work, shot the bull, and really got to know them as a person. Most folks just think of them as that dude in another state, who's taking a year to build my rifle that he's gonna charge me a fortune for his time and labor.

It's just 1 more step into doing away with true craftsmanship, IMO. Gunsmiths are artists. And the more we eliminate the need for them, the more that art form will die. And when it's dead, it will eventually become extinct. And then it becomes a **** shame to see that technology has traded-off true craftsmanship and skill, for any random idiot in a garage with a monkey wrench and a vise. No offense to anyone, just using that as an analogy.

While I am all about DIY, and learning to do everything I can. I am/was a metal fabricator by trade, and was for most of my life, and I have watched how robotics and technology have basically killed-off the job market for people with my skills. I don't want to see the same thing happen for gunsmiths...But that's the direction we're heading.
Great answer and thanks for the honesty.
That is something I hadn't considered. My main issue with gunsmiths is that many are terrible at time management or are just plain swamped. If I had a great smith in my pocket I would see that as a viable option.
This is like buying at Cabelas or Bass Pro or Walmart
I hate not supporting my LGS and will pay more to do it, if we don't.....THEY WILL BE GONE.....and then where are we? Academy Sports telling me about his buddies SNIPER 6.8SPC that will kill a deer at a mile and shoots under .001 at 100 yds.

I'm a DIY guy in just about everything I do, I will always hit a local store and spend my $$$ versus buying online, but I like being able to do my own work. The sense of pride it gives me, ability to fix something if it breaks and OPTIONS. I also don't like waiting. My wait for a build is 100% dependent on ME. If my gun already has a barrel on it, and I order a new barrel, my gun stays operational until my new barrel arrives, then its down for about 5 minutes as I switch. I also like that.

You are right though, if WE don't support gunsmiths............there wont be any and I don't think anyone wants that.

Another thing to think about though is that barrel nuts MAKE A LOT OF GUNSMITHS. This can do nothing but strengthen the 2nd amendment, also any barrel that I buy, was worked on by a gunsmith, he didn't screw the whole gun together but he certainly chambered it.

Anyone can screw together a barrel nut rig, I like that, I am sure HRC doesn't.

Great answer though Mudrunner, I will have to keep that in mind next time I tackle a DIY project that would probably be best left on the plate of a smith anyway.

Friendly question as I hear this from a lot of people.

WHY do you hate the barrel nut design?

Ugly?

Don't have to spend $ with a gunsmith to swap a barrel?

You can adjust headspace AFTER barrel install?

Too easy to swap calibers or even run switchbarrel rigs?

Too fast to assemble? I can swap a nut barrel in about 4 minutes.

Stud versus bolt/nut juncture superiority?

Increased effective tenon length?

I have had a lot of conversations in person with guys who hate the NUT but never have gotten a real good explanation other than some references to stud superiority which I find to be a little hard to believe since any rig with a recoil lug the interface essentially functions as a nut/bolt versus a stud anyway.

I wonder if it isn't just mainly UGLY and BRAND LOYALTY

I'm not loyal to the Savage brand, now that the Remage system is being served by some barrel makers I will probably move to a Remmy footprint for stock availability, though I'm not a fan of action screw location.

I am LOYAL to the NUT though. Once I retire and have a lathe in my garage I may change but until then I will be building 3X the number of rigs I could afford without a NUT.

And please keep in mind most of us don't have a machinist buddy who will build a rifle for peanuts and have it done in 2 weeks. That is an ANOMALY not an AVERAGE.

Curious as to the HATE is all. I don't HATE Remmy's, Rugers or Winny's, just don't like being tied into a certain caliber or having to rely on someone other than myself to work on one.

Thanks in advance for your reply

As a metal fabricator and someone who's done a lot of other random construction and industrial jobs in my short life, I can tell you that I do not like the push-pull design of the barrel nut. It reminds me of a stud-collar, or a linkage collar, and I've seen those loosen-up over time and bumping around (like recoil). IMO, a torqued crush-fit right-hand threaded (and rifled) barrel is a more guaranteed fit, and will also not come loose (not saying the barrel nut does, just saying that it COULD). The less moving parts the better. Simplicity in design without the nut.

As to my other reasons, I would rather not get into it, because most of them are personal reasons based on my hands-on experience with the rifles, dealing with supporters and Remington bashing, and such.

Remember, I also used to like Weatherbys, too...Till I owned one, and learned my lesson.

These days I stick with the 700's, Model 7's, and Browning A-Bolt II's. Still got a few old M77 MKII rifles and some other random stuff, but they mostly sit.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion. DIY has it's place and so as custom. I probably have more access to competent and reputable gunsmith than most. I have 6 in an hour's drive one of which is 2 miles from my home; Kirby is 20 minutes away.

Despite my DIY's, I still have a full custom done. Most used to take almost anything gun related to a gunsmith, that is not the case anymore, otherwise it'll be too expensive for gun owners to run into a gunsmith anytime we have a problem. A gun DIYer is no different from a home mechanic trying to squeeze a buck or two doing their own oil change, etc... Of all people you should know.

IMHO, a good gunsmith knows or at least should know that these things are going on (I know my go to gunsmith does) and should plan accordingly to be competitive and remain in business. I don't anyone of us would like to see any gunsmith or mechanic to be out of business. As we all know, there used to be a member (not sure if he still is) that did some excellent gunsmithing work but failed in the business said of the endeavor.

To the OP, my sincere apologies for getting the topic off track and being part of it.

Good luck on you project. Cheers!

Last edited:
As a metal fabricator and someone who's done a lot of other random construction and industrial jobs in my short life, I can tell you that I do not like the push-pull design of the barrel nut. It reminds me of a stud-collar, or a linkage collar, and I've seen those loosen-up over time and bumping around (like recoil). IMO, a torqued crush-fit right-hand threaded (and rifled) barrel is a more guaranteed fit, and will also not come loose (not saying the barrel nut does, just saying that it COULD). The less moving parts the better. Simplicity in design without the nut.

As to my other reasons, I would rather not get into it, because most of them are personal reasons based on my hands-on experience with the rifles, dealing with supporters and Remington bashing, and such.

Remember, I also used to like Weatherbys, too...Till I owned one, and learned my lesson.

These days I stick with the 700's, Model 7's, and Browning A-Bolt II's. Still got a few old M77 MKII rifles and some other random stuff, but they mostly sit.
Guns are kinda like the Ford vs Chevy thing. Drag racing was my other love and I was a Ford guy before it was cool to be one. Brand preference is a funny thing. I don't have any. I have been around the car business since I was a kid, KIA used to be a real pile of junk....now they are made in Bama and decent cars. Chevy went thru rough times, Ford and Dodge too. Now Hondas are supposedly superior and yet new American iron is within degree of error as good.
I started out on barrel nuts and have stayed with Savage mostly. I have owned others, ARs, but I'm not a FAN of any of them. Companies build quality and pricing cycles. I closely look at the current state of quality design and aftermarket support before I buy. It changes over time.

I used to be a Ford guy. Now I have owned pretty muchly every marque out there and they have all been great, that's not because they are ALL great, but I am in the business and know which yrs, motors, drivetrains and electronics are stout and have good resale and which don't.

A lot of the gun market is AFTERMARKET SUPPORT. Remmy is vastly superior in this area and why I am really thinking my next build rig after I use up my last good Savage stock will be a Remmy clone custom action with a nut and one of the 897660 different stocks you can get for them.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion. DIY has it's place and so as custom. I probably have more access to competent and reputable gunsmith than most. I have 6 in an hour's drive one of which is 2 miles from my home; Kirby is 20 minutes away.

Despite my DIY's, I still have a full custom done. Most used to take almost anything gun related to a gunsmith, that is not the case anymore, otherwise it'll be too expensive for gun owners to run into a gunsmith anytime we have a problem. A gun DIYer is no different from a home mechanic trying to squeeze a buck or two doing their own oil change, etc... Of all people you should know.

IMHO, a good gunsmith knows or at least should know that these things are going on (I know my go to gunsmith does) and should plan accordingly to be competitive and remain in business. I don't anyone of us would like to see any gunsmith or mechanic to be out of business.
Kinda funny, the last time I sent a Savage to a smith it came back with a shouldered barrel and NO NUTS lol. I was like ***?
Thing is it shot lights out and still is according to the guy who bought it from me.

Kinda funny, the last time I sent a Savage to a smith it came back with a shouldered barrel and NO NUTS lol. I was like ***?
Thing is it shot lights out and still is according to the guy who bought it from me.

I hear you ...

Attachments

• .270 AI.jpg
    .270 AI.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 61
My apologies to OP R700Ultra for hijacking his thread. Didn't mean to drag you into a discussion about Savage vs Remington vs Barrel Nuts, etc. That's generally considered bad manners.
But I will add (and close with) the fact that I am blessed with the availability of three excellent professional gunsmiths within forty miles. While I am curious about the barrel nut design in rifles, I've never owned one.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/members/r700ultra-99450/

My apologies to OP R700Ultra for hijacking his thread. Didn't mean to drag you into a discussion about Savage vs Remington vs Barrel Nuts, etc. That's generally considered bad manners.
But I will add (and close with) the fact that I am blessed with the availability of three excellent professional gunsmiths within forty miles. While I am curious about the barrel nut design in rifles, I've never owned one.

Likewise ...

I probably have more access to competent and reputable gunsmith than most. I have 6 in an hour's drive one of which is 2 miles from my home; Kirby is 20 minutes away.

To the OP, my sincere apologies for getting the topic off track and being part of it.

Good luck on you project. Cheers!

Do you guys think a Boyd's thumbhole stock will be good enough for long range shooting? The money you can't beat them. Any thoughts?

OP...get the bell and Carlson M40 stock on stockys. It's less than $300 shipped to your door and is an extremely comfortable bolt in design with an aluminum bedding block and clean looks. It'll also support up to a sendero barrel contour, but still has enough meat to open it up for larger contours.

Also remingtons rule and savages don't!!

Jk...I own both. :D

I'm OK with laminates on a rifle as it doesn't rain in my truck. However that looks like a lot of stock for the $$$. I am a Savage guy but stuff like this has got me wanting to start putting barrel nuts on Remmy's for sure. Must be nice to run an action as well supported as the 700.
After you get it properly fitted rub it down with tung oil every day for a week and then seal anyplace you sanded or cut through the factory finish with minwax or some sort of shellack. Buff it all out good with bronze wood till you're happy and finish it off with some soft sheepskin and a little more tung oil.

You'll never have to worry about it warping again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.