Remington 700 stock options?

R700ultra

Do you guys think a Boyd's thumbhole stock will be good enough for long range shooting? The money you can't beat them. Any thoughts?

R700, I've bedded a lot of Boyd's stocks. They are very strong and rigid. Some say they are a bit heavier than carbon fiber, but the fact they won't flex, are impervious to moisture, cold and heat coupled with the still low but increasing cost they are a good buy. I've read some bore holes into the butt of these stocks to remove weight. Just my opinion, a Boyd's definitely needs the inletting checked for tight spots and bedded. Having said all this, I don't own a Boyd's since I only own Weatherby's which have a unique style I like and Boyd's doesn't have that style. If I needed a stock for anything else I'd take a look at the Boyd's, especially the Pro-Varmint model although the thumb hole is said to be more stable. You should purchase the stock you will be happy with, no matter who doesn't agree. You asked for thoughts, these were mine. Good luck

Yes a properly bedded Boyds will shoot just fine at LR AND wont break the bank. I would love to own a Manners, HS, Mcmillan or chassis, but I am a titewad and would rather spend that $$$ on brass, glass or ***.
Get a Boyds and roll.

You can beat the Boyds stocks, just simply my personal opinion. I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just not really a fan of laminate stocks on centerfire rifles.

For the money, it will be hard to beat these...

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ck-remington-700-new-spider-web-finishes.html

I'm OK with laminates on a rifle as it doesn't rain in my truck. However that looks like a lot of stock for the $$$. I am a Savage guy but stuff like this has got me wanting to start putting barrel nuts on Remmy's for sure. Must be nice to run an action as well supported as the 700.

I'm OK with laminates on a rifle as it doesn't rain in my truck. However that looks like a lot of stock for the $$$. I am a Savage guy but stuff like this has got me wanting to start putting barrel nuts on Remmy's for sure. Must be nice to run an action as well supported as the 700.

It is...You should try it sometime... The Remington 700 is Americana. It is what all rifles over the last 55 years have strived to be. Look at how many copies it has out there. There is a reason why it still is exactly what it is...And why it always has been, what it always will be. :cool:

It is...You should try it sometime... The Remington 700 is Americana. It is what all rifles over the last 55 years have strived to be. Look at how many copies it has out there. There is a reason why it still is exactly what it is...And why it always has been, what it always will be. :cool:
LOL when I was a kid the pre-64 Winny was the Americana and the 700 was a poorly made upstart, made for mass production with no craftsmanship. Most of those gun writers are dead alas and now the 700 is THE RIG.
Of course when I was in elementary school there was supposedly an ice age coming so IDK.

LOL when I was a kid the pre-64 Winny was the Americana and the 700 was a poorly made upstart, made for mass production with no craftsmanship. Most of those gun writers are dead alas and now the 700 is THE RIG.
Of course when I was in elementary school there was supposedly an ice age coming so IDK.

Careful our friend MudRunner. I don't know when you were a kid but I remember circa 1962 when the Remington 700 in 7mm magnum was the flatestest shooting "I gotta have one" rifle on the market. The action on mine was smooth as glass and, since then, I've see Rem. 700 clones pop up in so many venues that the list of copy cat blures my vision. Remington has had it's problems but, on the whole and as far as I can find in my research, it's the most immitated American action in the world.
The pre-64 Winny was touted as one of the best (Model 70) you could find. But AFTER 64 it couldn't compete with any (ANY) quallity rifle on the market because of its poor quality and stamped (impressed) checkering.
Compare it to the Smith & Wesson history pre- Sigma. The Sigma, with it's 1/4 mile trigger reset and forty pound trigger pull (exagerations of course - but it represents my disappointment in this "low cost" hand. S&W had a perfectly good 9mm that started with the model 459 and blew it with the SW9VE.
Even, IMO, Remington's rush to compete in the market in recent years produced some poor quality rifles for a short time, their basic design that's been copied countless times, remains the same. Today their attention to quality control is much improved.
Can you tell I'm a fan of the Remmy? :D

I'm glad to hear you guys say Laminates are a viable option on a LR rig as I detest a plastic handle on a rifle. I've owned a coule and never could talk myself into acquiring a taste for them. Ended up trading them off.

+1 on the Remmy. I'm a big fan myself. Put a barrel nut on one and the possibilities could be endless. Just need an interchangeable bolt head now...

Careful our friend MudRunner. I don't know when you were a kid but I remember circa 1962 when the Remington 700 in 7mm magnum was the flatestest shooting "I gotta have one" rifle on the market. The action on mine was smooth as glass and, since then, I've see Rem. 700 clones pop up in so many venues that the list of copy cat blures my vision. Remington has had it's problems but, on the whole and as far as I can find in my research, it's the most immitated American action in the world.
The pre-64 Winny was touted as one of the best (Model 70) you could find. But AFTER 64 it couldn't compete with any (ANY) quallity rifle on the market because of its poor quality and stamped (impressed) checkering.
Compare it to the Smith & Wesson history pre- Sigma. The Sigma, with it's 1/4 mile trigger reset and forty pound trigger pull (exagerations of course - but it represents my disappointment in this "low cost" hand. S&W had a perfectly good 9mm that started with the model 459 and blew it with the SW9VE.
Even, IMO, Remington's rush to compete in the market in recent years produced some poor quality rifles for a short time, their basic design that's been copied countless times, remains the same. Today their attention to quality control is much improved.

I agree, the 700's, especially the early ones are great. Most accessories, most applications, more barrels available, most stocks available, and on and on. But you have to agree their 770 is a tu*d. What were their designers thinking. My son's friend, just out of the Marines with 3 tours bought one and it can't shoot at all. He thought since the Remington name was on it he had a winner. His dad, my son and I went together and gave him $600 to buy a better quality rifle for Christmas. Told him if it says Remington, make sure it's a 700. If you own a 770, my apologies.

Last edited:

Well said, oftentimes, it's not how they started or how long they've been around but how they are today. There are quite a few rifle companies that step up their game.

I agree, the 700's, especially the early ones are great. Most accessories, most applications, more barrels available, most stocks available, and on and on. But you have to agree their 770 is a tu*d. What were their designers thinking. My son's friend, just out of the Marines with 3 tours bought one and it can't shoot at all. He thought since the Remington name was on it he had a winner. His dad, my son and I went together and gave him $600 to buy a better quality rifle for Christmas. Told him if it says Remington, make sure it's a 700. If you own a 770, my apologies.

The 710 and the 770 were garbage... And should have NEVER been created. Who the hell press-fits a barrel to an action??? They must have had Special Fred working for them in their R&D department. Even having the 7 as the first digit in their model number is an insult to every 700 ever made.

I hear good things about the 783, but no experience with them myself. So, I think Rem learned from their mistakes on the 710 and 770. They're like Remington's version of a Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.