Stock cheek weld options

Korhil78

I am going to pick up a McMillan Game Warden stock for a new rifle (most likely a 28 Nosler) but thought I would ask you all a few questions first.

My other McMillan stocks all have the built in cheek rest riser. I really like it a lot but it adds a lot of weight to the stock. I am trying to keep this rifle at a lighter weight for packing around. This rifle will mostly be shot in the prone position.

Should I fore go the built in riser and see how the cheek weld is on the bare stock? There is also the option of getting a cheek rest bag to slap on there.

I have also been thinking about getting the McMillan stock in the carbon fiber and use a #5 contour barrel. The carbon fiber stock is a little lighter than the regular fill stock. it will be a long range rig but I want to keep it at the 9-10 lb range with a scope. Would the carbon fiber stock make it TOO light?

What do you guys think?

Twenty years ago I built my first true LR gun off a Sendero in 300 WBY. I kept the stock and reworked the action, new trigger, BBL, ect.... I found that the gun liked to be held hard, but hated it when I rested my cheek on the stock. So.... I developed an "akward" shooting style that has served me VERY well since.

The trick for me is to hold my head off of the stock and pull my head back far enough from the scope to where the sight picture gets way smaller. I only can see about the middle 1/2 or less of the of the sight picture. This does three things for me.....1st, I know that I ALWAYS have my head in the exact correct (center of the reticle) spot. If my head was out of position I could no longer see the target. 2nd, it makes having the paralex adjustment EXACTLY dead on unnesesary. Third, when the gun recoils, it slides the scope back into a position where I now have 100% field of view.

Obviously this is not for offhand or shooting at a moving target, but works well weather on the bench or laying prone. I also adapted this method into my benchrest and "F"class shooting. Those results speek for them selves!!!!

Good luck,
Tod

Korhil, I picked up a Precision Stock Works "Rifleman" stock.
Made by Mcmillan, carbon shell with edge fill. I chose this for the same requirements
As you are looking for. I wanted a lightweight build & wanted a stock that I could get good cheek weld without the weight of an adjustable cheek pc.
Take a look at them, might be an option for you.
The guys at Hill country rifles can help you out.

I am going to pick up a McMillan Game Warden stock for a new rifle (most likely a 28 Nosler) but thought I would ask you all a few questions first.

My other McMillan stocks all have the built in cheek rest riser. I really like it a lot but it adds a lot of weight to the stock. I am trying to keep this rifle at a lighter weight for packing around. This rifle will mostly be shot in the prone position.

Should I fore go the built in riser and see how the cheek weld is on the bare stock? There is also the option of getting a cheek rest bag to slap on there.

I have also been thinking about getting the McMillan stock in the carbon fiber and use a #5 contour barrel. The carbon fiber stock is a little lighter than the regular fill stock. it will be a long range rig but I want to keep it at the 9-10 lb range with a scope. Would the carbon fiber stock make it TOO light?

What do you guys think?
I have one custom bolt gun and one custom AR each with the built in adjustable cheek rest and while they have their place, like shooting from the bench or prairie dog hunting I've found that I very much prefer the stock packs/cheek rests. I really like having a few extra rounds handy and a zippered pocket for keeping a drop chart and databook along with even a few more rounds, pen, brass etc.

When you consider all of that plus the cost and weight it's really an easy sell at least for me.

What do you guys think?
This is my lightweight .300 Rum, it runs about 8.5lbs scoped. The stock is an old McMillan M40 fiberglass I found on Ebay. Right now it's shooting right at .5MOA with handloads, just under one MOA shooting Hornady Precision Hunter with the 220gr Eld-X.

Below it one of the stock pack/cheek rests I've gotten partial to, they run around 20.00 on Amazon. With the M40's I find that this is all I need and on the others that don't have quite as much of a riser it's easy to slip some foam under the rest to get it to the exact height I need.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ong-range-5r-have-i-lost-my-mind-img_7669.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...ong-range-5r-have-i-lost-my-mind-img_7667.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone. I do believe that I will go the route of a cheek rest bag and save some weight.

Now to just decide if I want to go with the carbon fiber stock or the regular!

4xforfun,,,, that's about the craziest thing I've read all day, way better ways to eliminate paralax, get good cheek position than reducing your field of vision by 50 percent....but hey they are your "results", but fairly a typical.

To OP, I've been playing with kydex for cheek risers. Cut to shape, heated and draped over stock to cure. Super light weight, problem is attachment. Best and lightest is some aluminum inserts and screws, downside is its only for a specific scope height, and mod to stock,, Been thinking about a spacer and just one screw to hold it down,,, I also build my own stocks, can also do a separate cheekpiece, been using the loggerhead hardware, which is awsome, but I also want to get my hands on some suitable magnets to try too. With individual spacers

As long as $ is not an issue go with edge fill. You can go with a heavier scope and rings, even weight the stock if it's too light. Hard to go the other way around. The fabric style cheek risers are good too. A good buddy uses them, I've shot his rifles. If nothing else they are very comfortable

Super low tech, light and cheap is good old cut foam and tape. Works great but if you leave it on you have to take off scope to clean. Been thinking about this a bit using fabric and velcro

Meant to say with foam you have to take stock off. Also LRI makes a lightweight adjustable hardware. A bit spendy though

Meant to say with foam you have to take stock off. Also LRI makes a lightweight adjustable hardware. A bit spendy though
Not really, unless the scope is mounted way far back there's no need to build up the foam far enough forward to interfere with pulling the bolt.

I have stock packs on all but one of my bolt guns and I don't have to remove them to clean any of the rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts