Add On Cheek Weld Reccomendation

rangerman

I need to raise the comb height on my HS Precision stock and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good add-on cheek weld product that would allow me to raise the height about an inch or so. I think the adjustable one like Definsive Edge would work well but I just can't make myself drill two holes in my expensive stock!
I was looking at the strap on type that is made by Black Hawk but have noticed that it has mixed reviews. Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

The karsten cheek piece is the way to go. I just put one on my HS Precision stock last week. It was easy and works great. I was using one of those strap on things that has a small bag for bullets or what not. But, the problem with them is that they do not slide consistently on a rear bag which was causing me to have some vertical from time to time.

I have a eagle stock pack and happy, I didnt need much,but you can form a shim under pack if you need more. I also have a dedicated high comb rig gun for just shooting fun

I have three of the Defensive Edge units. The Karsten would be similar. To drill the holes, I urge you to use a drill press. I did mine freehand, and got it done, but it would have been much easier to get nice straight holes with a press. My stocks are laminated wood, which tends to trap the drill bit, your synthetic may actually be easier to work with. Just remember, "measure twice, drill once". Also make certain the cheekpiece ends up being parallel with the bore.

Attachments

• DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 012.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 012.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 137
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 014.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 014.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 111
I put the Karsten on one of my rifles and have been very pleased with it. It's easy to adjust and comfortable to use. The wasn't to bad either.

IMO, you have two choices. Drill or cut holes into your expensive stock, or use something that attaches to the stock without holes.
Drilling holes in a composite stock can be tricky. The stock has to be aligned to get holes that are in correct alignment; straight through and perpendicular to the stock's longitudinal center. It is also important to use the proper, very sharp drill bit at the appropriate speed. If the drill bit catches the composite stock tears and a JB Weld repair has to be considered.
With the Eagle Stock pack there are no holes to drill. Strap it on, tighten it down and shoot. I use one on one of my stocks. To get the height I needed I simply cut a piece of high density foam to the required dimensions, tucked it under the pack and bingo ... problem solved.

I was not going to pay the $85 for a piece of plastic, so a made one out of a plastic chopping board, just milled four slots using a hand router and used a hot air gun to bend it over a piece of tube the same width as stock, two 5mm coach screws wing nuts job done.

Give this a thought.

I shaped leather (could use wood or other appropriate material) to get proper height. Then cut a piece of hair on cow hide (again could use material of your choice) to the shape of a delrin cheek piece. Then use Velcro to secure it.

Works great.

I'm not to be trusted drilling holes in a stock especially a McMillan A-5!

Easily removable for cleaning as it's too high for cleaning rod clearance.

I'm on wiffie's computer or I'd attach a pic.

I have both Triad Tactical and Karstens. Like them both, use Triad on hunting rifles and Karstens on bench guns.

Another vote for Triad. No permanent modifications to the stock, comes with plenty of hook and loop to raise your comb height to what you want, stays in place like you'd desire, and you can get internal or external shell loops. I really like mine. They are kind of aggravating to get installed perfect (or was for me), but when you do you won't be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts