Range Finder Advise

PS: I just remembered a second animal that took a follow up shot over 600. Both were done and still standing or got back up. They were done but I wanted it over quickly and sent a second shot. Both were over 800 yards, and both follow up shots were good as well.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for your open and honest reply. You do sound like someone who has spent many hour's shooting to get to where you are. Right now Im were you were years ago. I hope that in the future im able to spend at least half of the time you have to get to where you are today. I would venture to say that you are probably in a glass all to your self on this sight. Like that old saying goes, 5% of the hunters take 90% of the game.
You see for me most veryone I know or have I ever talked to has ever come half way to what you have .................That's really saying a lot.

In your honest opinion What distance capabilities would a .243 Ackley shooting the 95gr Berger VLD, assuming good accuracy, topped with a Leupold 4.5 -14 have in the real world used by someone like yourself.
It would seem to me that for you to take a 1500 yard shot you would have to be shooting something that has all the built in capabilities to perform at that distance.
I resect who you are and your open honesty.

GD

Greg, I do shoot a 6mm (.243) it is in 6mmbr and I limit it to 700 yards on game with 107 SMK's. It has taken antelope and yotes at this distance on several occations. I feel your rifle with proper drops and wind dope would be a consistant killer at this distance and even to 800 with your added velocity on deer sized game. Would it take a deer at 1000? You bet, but I prefer a much heavier bullet at that distance. Game past 1000 yards I will be using my .338 with 300 gr bullets. That is my personal choice.

Greg, I am not in a class alone here nor do I feel I am. I have shot with many shooters on this site and many are great LR shooters. Let me tell you that BignGreen is no ameture. And neither is his wife. A few weeks ago at a long range shoot. I looked through my scope at the 12" round steel target hanging at 880 yards. There were hits all over it. I said " Man, some one has been wearing that 12" steel out" BnG said, yeah, my wife..:D

My point is, it is real, and it can be very consistant. The trick to not wounding game is this. and I quote Shawn Carlock from his advanced class. "If I do not feel I will be amazed if miss this shot, I will not take the shot at game"

Below is a target from one of our shoots. In fiels conditions where every shooter got one shot. The point of aim was the white corner of hair. The target was at 757 yards. As you can see all of the hits were in an area to kill the goat. Two shooters missed completely. Pretty good odds for some guys from this site just having fun. I was the lucky guy with a .338 LM in the hero pic.

If you stick to LR shooting and aquire good equipment that works for you, you will soon see how effective you too will be at 1000 yards.

But you are correct, it does take pratice, and lots of it.

Thanks
Jeff

DSC03049Small.jpg

Jeff

Im impressed to say the least................I know of NO one ever until now who can shoot like this. This is a subject, where Im from, that no one ever talks about...................So you can see where Im coming from.
You are a great source of information because now I know your for real...............do you have an email address................its would be simpler for me to just ask you the questions I need to ask rather than trying to sort out all of the information that I have received and have gotten confused by.

Questions like

What twist rate do you need in your .243 to shoot the Sierra 107gr and is that a hunting bullet?

What did you say your LR deer rife is chambered for ? What would you recommend for a LR Deer and Elk...................what would be your minimmum?

Is that your LR rifle in the Picture............? What muzzle break do you recomend?

Thats a start...................

Jeff, you have my attention now...................Thanks!!

Greg

Jeff

Im impressed to say the least................I know of NO one ever until now who can shoot like this. This is a subject, where Im from, that no one ever talks about...................So you can see where Im coming from.
You are a great source of information because now I know your for real...............do you have an email address................its would be simpler for me to just ask you the questions I need to ask rather than trying to sort out all of the information that I have received and have gotten confused by.

Questions like

What twist rate do you need in your .243 to shoot the Sierra 107gr and is that a hunting bullet?

What did you say your LR deer rife is chambered for ? What would you recommend for a LR Deer and Elk...................what would be your minimmum?

Is that your LR rifle in the Picture............? What muzzle break do you recomend?

Thats a start...................

Jeff, you have my attention now...................Thanks!!

Greg

Greg I will pm you my e-mail address

Jeff

My Leica 1600 ranges the 1000 yard LR targets right at 1000 (on average) at my range.....and 600 at 600 and 300 at 300 and so on.

I like my Leica a lot and feel it is very accurate but it is very hard to hold it steady when ranging long distances. I wish it had an adaptor hole for a tripod.

I have not had an opportunity to range any deer yet, but I range trees, sand dunes and farm equipment while on stand prior to any game coming out into view. Where I hunt, the deer are pretty easy to pattern and I know where their trails are, so I simply range objects like those mentioned above that are near their where they are going to be.

Greg, all I can hope is that you do not post another thread on LRH. Rarely have I seen someone pose a question, receive five pages of replies and proceed to disrespect and lecture the members of this forum.

Opinions .......................everyone has one. Its best not to let them get you upset, but rather to ignore them, in the end we all go to sleep a lot happier

Greg, trust me, Broz is the real deal man and he has helped a good number of us. You'll be surprised to find out just what is possible if you get solid advice and hit the range, take notes and look for the reasons you miss not just make a quick correction and fling lead. The PLFR is a big bite, I'm working on getting one my self, if you can buy a tested and true Leica 1600 it would be a great choice till you decide it does what you need or you want to take it all the way. A bad range blows everything, including your confidence in all of your gear! Hang in there, your about to get a serious addiction gun)

Opinions .......................everyone has one. Its best not to let them get you upset, but rather to ignore them, in the end we all go to sleep a lot happier

The issue here is not whether or not everyone has an opinion, rather how one responds to those opinions. In this case, you chose to disrespect the members of this forum by telling them that their opinions were meaningless rather than taking your own advice and just ignoring those replies that you considered to be opinions.

What's more, when the issue of your disrepsect was raised, you did not acknowledge it in any real way. Most people would have apologized and attempted to rephrase their statement or question. You have done neither of these.

What's more, when the issue of your disrespect was raised, you did not acknowledge it in any real way. Most people would have apologized and attempted to rephrase their statement or question. You have done neither of these.

trebark,
Greg's got a huge learning curve ahead of him, should he chose to learn. I'm not convinced he's willing to invest the time or money. The truth is, all of the information and education he needs to become a proficient long range hunter is already available if he was willing to spend the time and energy to research this Forum. The rest is up to him; his willingness to spend some money to get the right equipment, and his willingness to learn how to use it. Which is why my response consisted of two short sentences. "You wanna learn? Or you wanna lecture?"

The only correct information he's posted to date is that a person can't grab the first factory rifle that falls into their hands, the first batch of factory ammo, the first scope buried in the closet, and shoot 1/2 moa groups at 1000 yds. If that's the crowd he hangs with, he should have the decency and restraint to not paint others with the same paint brush, and to not criticize others that choose to hunt and engage game at ranges greater than 600 yds. Especially on a Long Range Hunting Forum.

If he really wants to become proficient, all it takes is time, education, practice, and money. It's up to Greg - at this point...

Last edited:
trebark,
Greg's got a huge learning curve ahead of him, should he chose to learn. I'm not convinced he's willing to invest the time or money. The truth is, all of the information and education he needs to become a proficient long range hunter is already available if he was willing to spend the time and energy to research this Forum. The rest is up to him; his willingness to spend some money to get the right equipment, and his willingness to learn how to use it. Which is why my response consisted of two short sentences. "You wanna learn? Or you wanna lecture?"

The only correct information he's posted to date is that a person can't grab the first factory rifle that falls into their hands, the first batch of factory ammo, the first scope buried in the closet, and shoot 1/2 moa groups at 1000 yds. If that's the crowd he hangs with, he should have the decency and restraint to not others with the same paint brush, and to not criticize others that choose to hunt and engage game at ranges greater than 600 yds. Especially on a Long Range Hunting Forum.

If he really wants to become proficient, all it takes is time, education, practice, and money. It's up to Greg - at this point...

Well said. Especially...

"You wanna learn? Or you wanna lecture?"

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.