Range Finder

Leica hasn't exactly been a shining star when it comes to warranty, either, so I wouldn't let that make the decision for you.

If I were making the decision again, I would simply decide if you want a separate RF along with your regular bino, or if you want an integrated pair of RF/bino. If you want a separate RF, then go Leica CRF1600. If you want a pair of affordable RF bino that way out-perform their price tag, then the Bushnell is the way I'd go. I wanted a RF/bino, so I got the Bushnell. I don't regret the decision for a second.

One thing to add- the one thing I'm disappointed about, when it comes to the Fusion, is that they lack a hard, protective lens coating that many new optics come with. Some gentle cleaning with a lens pen caused some light surface scratches on the objective lenses of my unit. Not bad enough to hurt performance, but visible if you hold the bino up in the right light.

Jordan, was this the Leica CRF or an older 1200 (flat model) ? If it was a CRF I feel you might have had a bad one. I just an hour ago used my CRF 1200 to range a target ( 14"x20" plate) at 1000 in a flat pasture.

Jeff

I'm referring to both models- the LRF and the CRF. Both were about the same in ranging ability. I feel like there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. My Leicas were fantastic at ranging things all the way out to 1200 yards. Sometimes I could get readings on trees beyond that, and I had a few readings out to ~1330 yards, but that was about it. The readings from the Bushnell were always within a yard or two of the Leica and Zeiss readings, and as soon as I got over 1000 yards, the Bushnell was consistently more reliable in giving back readings. Beyond 1350 yards, and even the Zeiss starts to come up empty handed, while the Bushnell keeps on going all the way out to beyond 1800.

I'm definitely not trying to speak ill of the Leica 1200 units. They're both very good. In fact, I used the LRF 1200 to make a cold-bore shot on a coyote at 942 yards, on a sunny day with the ground covered in snow (about the most difficult conditions for that RF to function in). It's a great unit, but it doesn't go past 1200 yards with any kind of reliability. About 1000 yards was what I could usually range deer at with them.

Anyone looking to get a good 1600yd accurate rangfinder you might can learn a bit from my R & D on the Leica CRF 1600.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/buying-insurance-timber-accurate-range-73823/

"the Demo was hitting 1200-1500 and the 1695 on almost every pop!!! That was free hand / across parking lots in bright sunlight.

Try it out before you buy and get a good one, or have a deal that they will take it back next week for another one if it is a crapper!

Good luck.

I'm definitely not trying to speak ill of the Leica 1200 units. They're both very good. In fact, I used the LRF 1200 to make a cold-bore shot on a coyote at 942 yards, on a sunny day with the ground covered in snow (about the most difficult conditions for that RF to function in). It's a great unit, but it doesn't go past 1200 yards with any kind of reliability. About 1000 yards was what I could usually range deer at with them.

Thanks for the clairification, I was misunderstanding. We are on the same page with this unit.

Jeff

If you can afford them the Zeiss Victory 10x45 RF are great! I just picked up a pair a week ago and couldn't be happier with them!

Just playing around with the Victory PRF 1200 on the deck to see how finicky the divergence is.

It is relatively thin vegetation around here but I was able to pick up a rock behind and between a couple of elm trees down by the Gunnison (maybe 15' apart?) @ 1476, the trees read 1465 (which seems about right). Not scientific by any means, but so far I am happy with this RF.

I really like the design of these too, they feel like compact binoculars, very comfortable to hold and keep steady.

I found a new in the box Leica 1200 CRF-Y for $499 is this a good deal?

Im not anywhere near where most of you guys are ..................for me my goal is to be able to connect on a coyote at 600 and a deer at 400 so Im guessing that this RF will give me accurate readings at tdistances..............I stepped off 400 yards the other day and ......I have never shot anyting at that distance...............

I did buy a custom built Rifle .243 AI so its a start................

I want to thank all of you guys for taking the time to help me out and to get past all of my misconceptions .................

G

Yes, used ones are going for $425 or so. And yes this RF will do what you are asking and do a good job at it easily. One thing o know about these easy to carry small CRF's. Watch where your little finger is. My finger has slipped in front to block the laser before. I was wondering what was wrong with my RF...:rolleyes::D

Jeff

Im not anywhere near where most of you guys are ..................for me my goal is to be able to connect on a coyote at 600 and a deer at 400 so Im guessing that this RF will give me accurate readings at tdistances..............I stepped off 400 yards the other day and ......I have never shot anyting at that distance...............

I did buy a custom built Rifle .243 AI so its a start................

I want to thank all of you guys for taking the time to help me out and to get past all of my misconceptions .................

G
it will do what you are asking easily. i just used the crf 1200 to range the red side of a stop sign down the street at 993-994 yards and a speed limit sign at 980 every time

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.