Range Finder

Jeff

Thanks.....................Just one more question.

Would the 105's be better past 400 yards or would you still stick with that distance .

That depends on the game size. I have taken coyotes, antelope and small deer to 650 plus with the 107 SMK. But if I was to go after a large buck I would limit the 6mm to 400 yards where I feel I could keep them all in an apple. There has been plenty of large deer and even elk taken past 400 with a 6mm, but I am just stating my personal limits for this caliber in case something goes wrong.

Jeff

I was torn on this recently myself, the Bushnell I had was a ***. I was trying to decide between the Leica 1600 and the Zeiss Victory PRF. I ultimately decided on the Zeiss because of price and the design, I like that they are more like using binoculars. Since they are 8X I will likely use them like a monocular as well.

Bushnell 1600arc, they are not like their other models, plus, if you buy these now and decide they dont perform as expected, Bushnell will give you a full refund. Dont buy the 1500, again, these 1600's are on another level.

I had their 850's, and as per usual with most all these sub $700 units, you get about half that on trees and unfortunately the animals won't stand next to my truck.

I bought the Bushnell 1600arc monoculars, I have ranged treelines to over 1800yards, they consistently and easily hit trees to over 1500 & quick. Put them on brightness setting one and I've ranged yard lights over 1,000 yards in the dark. These are overacheivers, absolutely stellar. These will give you what you want and more for sub $500.

I've got a buddy with a leica RF, I think it is their 1,000 or 1200 yd model, I told him about this Bushnell unit, let him try them.

He says; " I can't believe I'm saying this, but I may have to upgrade my leica to a Bushnell"

For the price, this 1600 mono is a great value, just makes life easy.
Note: Make sure you have them on brightness setting 4 during bright daylight, or you'll think they're off.

How do the Bushnell's do ranging non reflective game animals........? or in early morning light ? They give you readings in yards? I will check them out.....

Thanks

Yes, your right the 1600 replaced them.....................

How do the Bushnell's do ranging non reflective game animals........? or in early morning light ? They give you readings in yards? I will check them out.....

Thanks

Yes, your right the 1600 replaced them.....................

Remember to compare the Beam Divergence. You will want to range just the deer, not brush 50 yards closer.

Jeff

Bushnell 1600arc, they are not like their other models, plus, if you buy these now and decide they dont perform as expected, Bushnell will give you a full refund. Dont buy the 1500, again, these 1600's are on another level.

I had their 850's, and as per usual with most all these sub $700 units, you get about half that on trees and unfortunately the animals won't stand next to my truck.

I bought the Bushnell 1600arc monoculars, I have ranged treelines to over 1800yards, they consistently and easily hit trees to over 1500 & quick. Put them on brightness setting one and I've ranged yard lights over 1,000 yards in the dark. These are overacheivers, absolutely stellar. These will give you what you want and more for sub $500.

I've got a buddy with a leica RF, I think it is their 1,000 or 1200 yd model, I told him about this Bushnell unit, let him try them.

He says; " I can't believe I'm saying this, but I may have to upgrade my leica to a Bushnell"

For the price, this 1600 mono is a great value, just makes life easy.
Note: Make sure you have them on brightness setting 4 during bright daylight, or you'll think they're off.
+1

I've ranged deer, first thing in the morning, at over 1300 yards, which is the farthest that I've had the opportunity to try the Bushnell on deer. Got a reading first try, immediately. I also have no trouble ranging tree lines out to about 1875 yards, and getting a reading on a lone tree, large rock, etc, out to 1800 isn't much trouble at all.

Ranging a cow at 1800 yards usually comes back on the first try, but sometimes takes 2 or 3.

The Bushnell (speaking of the Fusion 1600 Arc) has various modes, called target and brush modes, which enable you to get a reading on the closest target in the beams path (target mode), or the farthest thing in the beam's path (brush mode).

I've owned cheaper and older Bushnell RF's before, and they sucked. Plain and simple. I've also owned the Leica 1200 and I've used my father's Zeiss PRF a bunch. This Bushnell Fusion 1600 blows them all out of the water. I think Bushnell finally hit a home run, and figured out RF technology like the other big players.

I don't range reflective objects much outside of just pure curiosity, I range trees or rocks or hills, bushes etc... I'm also not a deer hunter

So, the furthest it will hit a deer, idk, it isn't an issue for me, I've hit cows to 800 without an issue.(I'm a coyote hunter, sometimes I get bored). I want to say I've hit deer to just over 700 as I've had them in front of me yote hunting as well, but I can't remember that number 100%.

It also has multiple modes to give you the distance through some brush, or to hit that brush, it has exceeded my expectations. Thing works incredibly well in low light.

But I'm not the end all be all answer guy, it is simply another option I thought worth mentioning, like I said, they have the bulletproof warranty, so save the receipt and if at anytime, inside a year, you feel they let you down, get your money back.

I've used this warranty on a scope, it works and is painless.
Honestly, the idea of even spending $150 on a rangefinder made me nauseous, so spending this $500 wasn't easy for me, I have no regrets, it just performs.
P.S.
The only complaint I've heard on these is the display is hard to see in bright light. That is why I commented on having it on brightness level 4, but in very bright conditions it can still be faint. Now if your IQ exceeds that of your shoelace, you're fine, you'll read it without a fuss.

Oops I was typing while Jordan responded, seems he knows better than me on game like that, like I said, I don't hunt big game, so it isn't my focus.

I almost bit on a Fusion as I've used and us some other Bushnell range finders, but I've found that the beam deliverance is absolute key, the Bushnell range finders have a 2x4 mil beam which is great for getting a range but what are you ranging? If you have a deer in sage brush at a 1000 yards half your 72in deep beam may be on game may be on sage brush or air, I've had and used a couple Bushnell rangefinders and love them for bow hunting or regular hunting but for long range hunting for me it's proven to be a shot in the dark at best as to weather your getting a good range.

Last year the Bushnell cost me a cold bore hit on a bull because it was ranging of a lower part of the hill and I shot way low, I didn't have my Leica which would have tapped him with ease so I had to wait for him to get near a tree which was big enough to get a solid range on, with the right range the next shot drilled him right at the water line at 865 yards!!

I almost bit on a Fusion as I've used and us some other Bushnell range finders, but I've found that the beam deliverance is absolute key, the Bushnell range finders have a 2x4 mil beam which is great for getting a range but what are you ranging? If you have a deer in sage brush at a 1000 yards half your 72in deep beam may be on game may be on sage brush or air, I've had and used a couple Bushnell rangefinders and love them for bow hunting or regular hunting but for long range hunting for me it's proven to be a shot in the dark at best as to weather your getting a good range.

Last year the Bushnell cost me a cold bore hit on a bull because it was ranging of a lower part of the hill and I shot way low, I didn't have my Leica which would have tapped him with ease so I had to wait for him to get near a tree which was big enough to get a solid range on, with the right range the next shot drilled him right at the water line at 865 yards!!

I bought the Zeiss PRF and I am a little concerned about the divergence, but so far just playing with it in my back "yard" it doesn't seem prohibitive. I am able to range a house down the hill @ 1250 and there is the edge of another hill in the foreground, I have experimented to see what it takes to have it read that instead, you have to be wobbly or really on the edge, and the edge of the hill is 750.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.