Range Finder

leupold could come out with a 4000 yds range finder for 50 bucks and i wouldnt look at it. they have already tricked me 2 times. i bought a 750yd range finder that i can range teh side of a bright reflectivve truck at 500 somtimes and a rx3 that i cant range 650 with on the same truck. both were off of a tripod for added stability.

i send both back for leupold to check and was told "both products meet our standards"

What Range finder would you recomend ...............................

I dont want to be ranging a nice buck and find out that I was not getting a correct reading and missed..............

would I be safe with the Leica 1600 ....................

For me a 600 yard shot is really long...................Would any of the Leica Range finders Range out to 600?

I have no experiance with a RF or Have I ever used one so I could use a lot of feed back from those who do

the leica would defintally work, but to be honest i dont know. the next range finder im trying is the vortex ranger. i dont think them giving you the wrong reading is a issue, i think the main problem is no reading

Now that would not only be frustrating but also down right mean......................then your back to guestimation. Equipment failure at a time when you have waited five year for a deer tag.............................

Wow.

i know ive learned my lesson on buying cheapo scopes that dont function. but im not to that point yet with range finders. im still hoping to find one south of 500 dollars that will range 1000 yds. from what ive heard the vortex will do that, but its cheaper than the last leupold i bought so im sceptical. i guess the only way to find out is to buy one and either hit a home run or chalk it up as yet another lesson in buying medium grade equipment

Leica 1200 CRF-Y for $425 used (what I have seen them sell for) would do you fine.

Or, step up to the Leica CRF 1600 which goes for $700 ~$750 new.

Jeff

Jeff

How have things been going for up in Montana? How was your summer?

I have talked to you in the past and you have been very helpful..........
I received my .243 AI Not sure of the hunting bullet I should use, what do you think of the 105 Amax over the Berger. My rifle has a 1x9 and Im not sure if I could shoot either of the 105 with that twist rate........

I had intended on using the 95 berger....

As for the Range finder ............you think that the Leica 1200 CRF-Y would serve a beginning ? Right now 600 yards would be amazing. Would the Leica range a non reflective object at 600?

I appreciate all the info you have given me in the past and have directed me in the right direction.

Thanks

Greg

Greg, Nothing wrong with the Leica RF, but I'd take a close look at the Zeiss Victory PRF for what you want it for.

Jeff

How have things been going for up in Montana? How was your summer?

I have talked to you in the past and you have been very helpful..........
I received my .243 AI Not sure of the hunting bullet I should use, what do you think of the 105 Amax over the Berger. My rifle has a 1x9 and Im not sure if I could shoot either of the 105 with that twist rate........

I had intended on using the 95 berger....

As for the Range finder ............you think that the Leica 1200 CRF-Y would serve a beginning ? Right now 600 yards would be amazing. Would the Leica range a non reflective object at 600?

I appreciate all the info you have given me in the past and have directed me in the right direction.

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg, Things are great here in Mpontana, Thanks! I am not sure they will sabilize in a 9 twist but might be worth a try to get some 105 VLD's and also some 107 SMK's. I use the SMK's in my 8 twist 6br but you will have so much more velocity it just might work out.

Yes, the Leica 1200 CRF (if you can snag a used one) is the best bang for the buck. You being from Nevada I would assume you will be shooting deer and yotes in Sage Brush and other gound clutter. That is where the smal beam divergence will kick butt on the other units with a much larger beam. I use a PLRF10 Vectronix, but my back up unit or the one I grab for out to 800 or 1000 is my old tried and true Leica CRF 1200-Y

Jeff

I have a Leupold RX3. I will agree with the other thread. It is garbage. The class is inferior and the rangefinder is not consistent. I bought the Leica 1600 and it is in another class all together. I have long been a fan of Leupold products but cannot stand the rangefinder.

Look for sales on the Leica. Recently thanks to a thread on this forum I picked at 1600 for $550 and no shipping. It is well worth the money.

Thanks for the feed back Jeff...........I will start shopping for the CRF 1200

For Deer what are your feelings about the 95gr. VLD? Would the 105gr. be that much better?

Greg

For Deer what are your feelings about the 95gr. VLD? Would the 105gr. be that much better?

Greg

Well I use the biggest bullet that shoots accuratly from all my rifles. I do it for the BC and wind bucking capailities. But for your 600 yard max distance both will do if you place them well. If I am goin after large buck mule deer or white tails I will be packing a larger caliber or real the 6mm in to 400 and go for the heart.

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks.....................Just one more question.

Would the 105's be better past 400 yards or would you still stick with that distance .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.