Range Finder

****, they have the operating temperature on the BR4 website only going down to -4 F. Surely it can operate in colder weather than that or am I reading something wrong here?

FFF95E37-3806-496F-A7F6-E5A024D2DCDE.png

The 10X magnification of the BR4 is what made me want to check it out. No regrets. Excellent ballistic calculating long range hand held rangefinder.

****, they have the operating temperature on the BR4 website only going down to -4 F. Surely it can operate in colder weather than that or am I reading something wrong here?

View attachment 360528
These are the operating ranges of the 2 most expensive ranging binos.

Swarovski EL Range 14 - 131 Deg F
Zeiss 10x42 Victory -22°F - + 145°F

I guess they are all over the place. Maybe if its -4 you might not be making a long range shot .... ? don't know, don't hunt in those temps.

I just saw a comparison of two range finders left over night in near zero weather here.

Not in the negative 20 range but still an indication.

I just saw a comparison of two range finders left over night in near zero weather here.

Not in the negative 20 range but still an indication.
I'm amazed they worked at all. Cold weather makes bad stuff happen t electronics and batteries.

I'm not sold on giving them an easy way out. Surely if it was military equipment you would expect it to work no matter how cold. It's not the 90s anymore.

Interesting that these guys have the same operational tolerance-20c=-4F but storage -40c=-40F.
8AD072B0-1F5E-44E0-A913-D2B828C6DBEA.png

I do a lot of sub zero hunting. My practice with ANY electronic/battery driven device, and regardless of the specs, is to keep them located closer the your body warmth when exposed for extended periods. This works well, and I haven't found myself being unable to get a range with my BR2 and Sig2400. The negative effects from extreme cold are generally slower response from the displays(note: I understand that this factor determines the manufacturers temp spec), and of course, shortened battery life/power. Liquid Chrystal systems like the Kestral seem to be more easily affected by low temps then the LED systems. I will say that frozen fingers and funky ballistic(ammo) have been more problematic then RF's for me when LR hunting in low temps🙄.

Last edited: