Range Finder Advise

Hey guys...................I do appreciate what you have said, and like I told Jeff, you need to understand where I came from to maybe understand my remarks which I can understand why you reacted the way you did, I dont blame you.
Everyone I know or who im around would say ******** to the kind of shots you guys make. No one that I know of has ever heard of the kind of shooting you guys do. Until Jeff sent me two vidoe's of a 485 yard and a 800 yard shots on Antelope.................. I thought that was only something from Star wars. Yes, I do have a lot to learn, I realize that I had to get past my ignorance, missinformation, and bias based on old world thinking. I dont have any idea of the time you guys have spent working up loads for your rifles or the days of shooting and honing your skill, I want you to know that for me I have to get past a few things, and Like I told Jeff today, im still having a hard time convincing my self that anyone can make accurate shots at 800 yards.
So bear with me, Im still going to have a lot of questions...............make a few more mistakes and spend a lot of time shooting. By the way I did learn that there is a range in my area that is devoted to guys like you who shoot at up to 1000 yards, never knew it existed. Im leaning somthing everday and leanring to recognize when Im putting my foot in my mouth.

Thanks............

Greg

you need to understand where I came from to maybe understand my remarks

I do understand where you came from - a place of ignorance and bias.

I dont blame you.

Really? You want to open with WE need to understand YOU and YOU don't blame US for responding to disrespect in the way we did?

Everyone I know or who im around would say ******** to the kind of shots you guys make. No one that I know of has ever heard of the kind of shooting you guys do. Until Jeff sent me two vidoe's of a 485 yard and a 800 yard shots on Antelope.................. I thought that was only something from Star wars. Yes, I do have a lot to learn, I realize that I had to get past my ignorance, missinformation, and bias based on old world thinking. I dont have any idea of the time you guys have spent working up loads for your rifles or the days of shooting and honing your skill, I want you to know that for me I have to get past a few things, and Like I told Jeff today, im still having a hard time convincing my self that anyone can make accurate shots at 800 yards.
So bear with me, Im still going to have a lot of questions...............make a few more mistakes and spend a lot of time shooting. By the way I did learn that there is a range in my area that is devoted to guys like you who shoot at up to 1000 yards, never knew it existed. Im leaning somthing everday and leanring to recognize when Im putting my foot in my mouth.

Thanks............

Greg

Don't need your thanks. Need YOU to own your previous statements. That starts with an apology to this community. I'll even hold your hand and start you down the path....

Dear Longrange Hunting Forum Members, I apologize for....

Then, if you want to learn from and join this community, rephrase this...

By the way I did learn that there is a range in my area that is devoted to guys like you who shoot at up to 1000 yards

to say.....guys like us...

greg,
let me tell you a true story that happened to me that may help you realize that this world does exsist. A few years ago (about 9 yrs)after watching a 225 inch mule deer at 800 yards and not be able to get any closer,I came home and went on a quest so that if this ever happened again that buck would be dead, long story short after gathering much info I got my first long range set up,and I was hooked ,800 yards does become rather easy. So I was off looking to build another rifle.

I often went to a pawn shop where I looked for a action to build a long range set up off of, after numerous times in the shop and telling the owner what I was doing he call Bu----it and the challenge was on. He told me that he would give me $200.00 if I could hit his truck at this distance,I happly excepted the challenge.

The day came for us to do the shoot and when I showed up and He took one look at my rifle I could see the concern in his eye, and told him if he wanted he could move it back to 1200 yards he said no, a deal is a deal, as he pulled his 1990 chevy extra cap in great condition I might add out to the 1000 yards I almost felt guilty,(almost) as I was about to put a 169.5 grain 270 bullet through the side of his truck.

As I prepared for the shot I asked him where he would like his .277 hole and he told me to try and hit the bed area which he had tapped a red 8'' circle. As he reminded me that I had to hit his truck somwhere with only one shot , his brother replied I think your in trouble.

long story short I hit the red circle about 1 '' high and 3'' right of center and to this day he still has that hole in his truck,

I am sure there are pleny of guys on this fourm that would take you out and show you just how well you can really shoot with good equipment and knowledge all you would have to to is ask nicely without belittling the sport.

good luck P.S I have witnesses

270winshort

That was a great story....................I was sent a picture of a rifle that was set up to shoot the way you described, and I would have been worried to. I realize that I was jumping to far into the future, so for me I need to step back and just work up a load that will give me an average of under .500 Then I can work out to 200. In the past I have never shot paper at 200, so that is my goal.......then on to 300. I have no dought, NOW, after others have shared similar stories and video's.
I'm still waiting on my custom .243 Ackley, so when it does arrive I will be at the starting point.
I understand your feelings on the buck at 800 yards. I shot at a really nice antelope a few years back..................held to the top of his back and hit the dirt between his legs..............at that point I had no idea what to do next, other than hold way high. I would guess the distance at about 450 yards.
This is all just an eye openning experiance that I had no idea existed a year ago.......................So how big was the Red Dot..........?

Could you give me the details in how you put together your rifle.........?? Barrel, stock, etc. Scope, do you shoot Berger Bullets?

270winshort Thanks for the example...................Im going to print it out just so hunters I know can read it and see what their reactions will be ............

Could your recomend a Range Finder.............Im learning more and more, and feel that the Leica 1600 will probaby be what I go to ............Past that and My wife will be wanting a new Car.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts