Range Finder Advise

Potomac River Group - Welcome
The PLRF 10 will cost you around $3750, a background check, and a 6 week wait. My swaro was unable to accurately range deer ON FLAT GROUND at 700+ yds DUE TO THE LARGE BEAM DIVERGENCE. The Leica 1600 was much better, but the PLRF 10 is pure magic! Yes, it is expensive, but a $5,000 long range rifle is worthless without an accurate range. Where the terrain is not flat and/or there are trees, rocks, etc. near your target, the other range finders are fine.

This is a very true statement. I have been in the very same situation with flat ground and the big beam RF's and what jett says is true. Very true.

Jeff

maybe 4k inst affordable for everyone, but most people think lr shooters are crazy when we spend 2k plus on optics or 800$ on a stock....

as others here have stated, it really makes a differencs on what kind of terrian your going to be using it in,I would spend the $200 extra and get the leica 1600, I also have a bushnell elite 1500 arc that works wright along side of my leica in high country or if there are ceader trees present, in open country the leica seems to work better, last year I ranged a muley buck for my buddy in wyoming high country with the bushnell at 1048 yards(actually ranging a bush next to the deer) how do I know it was the wright range you might ask, because when he dialed the range he hit it his first shot,if you go with the higher power say the 1600 leica it will work well out to 800 to a 1000 yards in pourer conditions the 1200 will do well out to 600 to 800 yards in pour conditions,I actually like my bushnell 1600 arc elite the best where I hunt it works well in high country and has a tripod mount, I also like the arc feature for extreme angle shots, the bushnell costs about $450.00 buy the best that you can afford and go from there.

The only thing about long range shooing is that everyone tells you about the one that did not get away but few if any tell you about all the ones that did or did limp away.................I saw Grey wolf at the Reno Elk show and when he showed them shooting Elk at 1000 yards I asked if they had any videos of the ones that they missed or wouned. He had a comeback that pretty much said Move on and go some place else. Ultra long range shooting is best left to those who train every day not the guy that goes out once in a while............I can understand 500 600 yards ..........maybe 700 at the most but beyond that the success rate is like the guys who carry around a one hole five shot group ....................but have yet to repeat it. I can tell you about the one time I jumped a covey of Chukar and dumped five with five shots but I cant tell you the time I did it again................My son trained with Special Forces while in the Army and he said that all these guys did was train train and train ..............................................

Its all great in theory but reality in the field is something different.

Potomac River Group - Welcome
The PLRF 10 will cost you around $3750, a background check, and a 6 week wait. My swaro was unable to accurately range deer ON FLAT GROUND at 700+ yds DUE TO THE LARGE BEAM DIVERGENCE. The Leica 1600 was much better, but the PLRF 10 is pure magic! Yes, it is expensive, but a $5,000 long range rifle is worthless without an accurate range. Where the terrain is not flat and/or there are trees, rocks, etc. near your target, the other range finders are fine. My terrain here in eastern NC is absolutely flat agricultural fields which extend for miles. The PLRF 10 was a must for me. Hope this makes my earlier post more clear.

A background check for a range finder ?

I can understand 500 600 yards ..........maybe 700 at the most but beyond that the success rate is like the guys who carry around a one hole five shot group ....................but have yet to repeat it. I can tell you about the one time I jumped a covey of Chukar and dumped five with five shots but I cant tell you the time I did it again. Its all great in theory but reality in the field is something different.

You Sir are definatly uninformed. Your post shows you are lacking in actual knowledge of the success rate and consistancy of the experienced long range shooter / hunter that possesses good equipment and knows how to effectively use it.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Last edited:
The only thing about long range shooing is that everyone tells you about the one that did not get away but few if any tell you about all the ones that did or did limp away.................I saw Grey wolf at the Reno Elk show and when he showed them shooting Elk at 1000 yards I asked if they had any videos of the ones that they missed or wouned. He had a comeback that pretty much said Move on and go some place else. Ultra long range shooting is best left to those who train every day not the guy that goes out once in a while............I can understand 500 600 yards ..........maybe 700 at the most but beyond that the success rate is like the guys who carry around a one hole five shot group ....................but have yet to repeat it. I can tell you about the one time I jumped a covey of Chukar and dumped five with five shots but I cant tell you the time I did it again................My son trained with Special Forces while in the Army and he said that all these guys did was train train and train ..............................................

Its all great in theory but reality in the field is something different.

Are you asking for advice on rangefinders? Or looking to lecture the members of this Forum?

$$$$ 4,000 are you serious. Thats nuts, even the federal gov cant afford that.

So will the Leica 1000 give me accurate readings out to 800 yards? Or will I need to pop for the 1600

Hey, Im new at this ................shooting anything at 800 is a long long way out there...............Seem to me anything much past that distance would end up gut shot at best.

GD

Range finders are very terrain and sun sensitive, so if your ranging on flat ground in sun and you want to hit targets like antelope at 800yrds plus it's going to get rugged even with a Leica 1200. If your trying to hit elk on a hillside in the morning I can usually tap one easily out past a 1000yrds even out in the 1200yrd range. Unless you step up to the PLFR, there is some learning curve like if your getting a range how to make sure your getting a range on the animal or the sage brush 60 yrds in front of it, ya your getting an accurate range but of what. The plfr is dead nuts! Do you need one right out of the box not really.
Once you start shooting with gear that can perform and you wear a barrel out you'll find out 800 yrds isn't that big of an issue, and that gut shooting something at range is a wind dope or trigger yanking issue not a range issue. If range is blowing your mind wait till you start trying to dope a variable wind, that's the challenge!!!

i live and hunt in the mountains, i use a leica 1600 and it is pretty awesome, also have tried the bushnell elites and they worked well also, i was ranging deer on snow covered ground at 1300 plus yards and can range hillsides over 1700. But for the average shooter save yourself the money and check out the bushnell, plus the bush has a tripod mount making the longer ranges easier when your huffing and puffing from hiking.

Just for the info the Bushnell has a 4mrad beam, it's the largest beam divergence out there so it had better range but in some conditions you sure could be bouncing of something at a significantly different range. In close I love the little Bushnell.

Jeff, you see this whole sight is all about peoples opinions, just like me, you have an opinion to. Its like this whole thing on Range Finders, its all about people's opinions. Ive seen opinions on $4000 range finders and those who love Bushnell who say not to waste our $$$ on Leica's. The thing is they are all right when it comes to what each person likes and what works for them. Its also true about Longe Range shooting ........Tell me Jeff, how many animals have you missed over 600 yards? or how many have you wouded over that distance. If your honest your going to have to tell me that you have missed and you have to admit that its a strong possibility that you have wouded some. Sure in the hand of someone who spends hours and hours practicing sure we can all get better but for most of us we dont have the time to be what we all want to be. Most military snipers will tell you that shots over 600 are few, read the book The History of Snipping. Hey we are guys and our biggest problem is our ego's they get in the way, to often. I cant begin to tell you haw many guys have factory rifles that shoot .250 out of the box with factory ammo...........I dont know what it is about .250. Then there are all the Bucks taken at over 500 yards, without ranging first..................So you see we all have our opinions. I respect yours ..........................

GD

Greg there are opinions and there are facts. Lets respect each others opinons and lets talk about facts.

Fact is, some Rf's are better than others and it is usually reflected in the price. Thats not to say that the less expensive one will not work well for some shooters, it all depends on the facts of how they hunt and to the conditions as to which is best and which will work.

Another fact is the internet is full of misinformed people who state some things are "the best" and they have not even tried some of the others. If is works for them that is their choice.

I have missed one antelope at distances over 600 yards. 1520 yards to be exact. I missed my wind call. I watched the bullet splash and chose to not try another shot in the existing conditions.

I am proud to say I have recovered every animal I shot at beyond 600 yards. And only once, to the best of my memory, took a follow up shot. Never wounded an animal at long range. God as my witness, and I pray I never do at any distance.

You see, I grew up in a state that required you hunt deer with slugs. I also spent my share of time in an ajoining state hunting with rifles at shorter distances. So I have seen way way more deer wounded at close range than at distances over 600 yrds. The experienced long range shooter applies way more time to a single shot than one at 50 or 100 yrds in tight timber or on the run. I have seen all the mamed or non recovered deer I hope to ever see, and they were all close.

Thank you for the suggestion on the book about sniping. But I have no interest. I am not a sniper and I do not calim to be, nor do I have any intention to mimic a sniper. They are highly trained for what they do and they do it well. I know what works for me, I practice my technique often and it is working well for me also.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.