Question on restocking a BOSS rifle

kfrye

Curious if anyone out there as ever restocked an A-Bolt or Model 70 with a BOSS system on it. My research shows that the BOSS rifles had a rubberized type of bedding compound to help in reducing the barrel harmonics (along with the BOSS itself).

I'm wondering if the rifle was restocked with a HS or McMillan fiberglass stock with either pillars or just a skim bed, if the BOSS could be properly tuned or if everything would then be out of whack and a rebarrel job would then be in order?

As the BOSS unit only serves to tune barrel harmonics, any restock that left the barrel free-floated should be fine. Obviously, the BOSS settings may change from one stock to another.

That is my thinking too. The sweet spots would most likely change, but hopefully not to the point where you could tune it in.

A phone call to a Browning Tech guy didn't reveal much- just that putting a better stock should not hurt the system in anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.