Question on restocking a BOSS rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by kfrye, Oct 28, 2010.

1. kfrye

kfrye Well-Known Member

Curious if anyone out there as ever restocked an A-Bolt or Model 70 with a BOSS system on it. My research shows that the BOSS rifles had a rubberized type of bedding compound to help in reducing the barrel harmonics (along with the BOSS itself).

I'm wondering if the rifle was restocked with a HS or McMillan fiberglass stock with either pillars or just a skim bed, if the BOSS could be properly tuned or if everything would then be out of whack and a rebarrel job would then be in order?

2. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

As the BOSS unit only serves to tune barrel harmonics, any restock that left the barrel free-floated should be fine. Obviously, the BOSS settings may change from one stock to another.

3. kfrye

kfrye Well-Known Member

That is my thinking too. The sweet spots would most likely change, but hopefully not to the point where you could tune it in.

A phone call to a Browning Tech guy didn't reveal much- just that putting a better stock should not hurt the system in anyway.

4. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member