Novice Question on Rifle Performance

KC- Both rounds are capable of killing deer at long range ( over 500 yards). the groups they need to shoot; the rifles may not be capable of ; around a .5" at 100 , 1-2" at 200, 6 inch at 600 . How do they shoot at these ranges? the scopes you have are fine.

KC- i rarely shoot factory ammo. i shot fed triple shocks out of my 300wm. the groups were .2" at 100 yards. i would have been comfotable shooting that out to 1000 yards had that particular hunt required it. the bull i killed was 26 yards.

KC, the best way to find out the effective range for these rifles and loads is to shoot them over a chronograph and plug in the velocity and BC into a ballistic calc. And then actually shoot them for accuracy potential and drops to various distances out to where the bullets should be reaching about 1800 fps, which is probably their effective opening velocity. You should be able to find that info on the manufacturers web sites. Take their BC with a grain salt. I would say 800 yds is probably pushing it with the 300 WSM and the Barnes bullets.

The 300 WSM is probably shooting 180's in the 2950-3000 fps range. HSM has some Berger 185 hunting VLDs they list @ 2990 fps. You might try a Hornady Superformance load for better velocity.

I have used Black Hills with good luck. Shoots 1 inch groups with a Cooper but 1 inch is not gong to cut it at 700 yards, that is what I mean by distance. But good enough for woodchucks at 150.

I would try brands mentioned above, you might want to start a specific thread on this topic. I would pick one caliber. I only work on 1 caliber a year. I have a friend who is working on multiple calibers all the time and he scares me. "Change one variable at a time, that was you can see cause and affect". I don't care what anyone say, this sometimes is rocket science, at least for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.