Anybody put a BOSS on a custom barrel?

nksmfamjp

I wonder if these would help the accuracy of a custom barrel, say a Brux or Kreiger? Anybody ever put one one a custom rifle?

wm_3443544.jpg

Harmonic tuners do work but if putting one on a custom barrel, I wouldn't go with a BOSS.

John

If you're shooting the same load at different ranges, you'll need to record the brake's setting for each range.

Browning's explanation of how it works is wrong. So was their original one years ago. Tuners are set for all bullets to leave on the muzzle axis upswing such that faster ones leave at lower angles above the line of sight slower ones at higher angles. That angular spread has to be larger for longer ranges because bullets drop angle spread is greater.

Last edited:
I hope you're not suggesting that a tuner has to be set different for every range.
I suppose you could map out an average setting per POI, but how would it be useful at all?

In the past (when I had a Boss barrel) I load developed as normal(with Browning recommended tuner setting for cartridge), and simply tweaked it from there for tightest grouping. Likely put muzzle release on a knee of swing.
This last option not being available without a tuner.
Worked as advertised IMO

Easiest way I've found is bottom it out to start them you only have to go one direction to test I have 2 bars one 243 and a 270 with the 243 and 87 grain vmax a running coyote is in trouble wasn't fair went back to my bot guns. David

You can dial it in where the gun will shoot very well I was getting groups that made some of my bolt guns jealous I was shooting hand loads the gun has never had a factory shell in it don feel you should need one on a custom barrel though but wouldn't sell the guns I have with them on it. David

I have an Old A-Bolt .243 with the BOSS and it is a fantastically accurate rifle. Back when I shot factory ammo, I'd tweak between settings for 80 grain (chucks) and 100 grain
(Deer) bullets. Factory stuff shot .5 to .75 MOA all day long. I replaced the ported BOSS with the BOSS conventional recoil (CR) attachment to quiet it down and still got the same results. It shoots even better with handloads but I never had to mess with the settings. I guess finding the node within a charge ladder obviated the need to adjust the BOSS, so I just leave it alone now. Still a good system but probably "Old" technology at this point.

I have an Old A-Bolt .243 with the BOSS and it is a fantastically accurate rifle. Back when I shot factory ammo, I'd tweak between settings for 80 grain (chucks) and 100 grain
(Deer) bullets. Factory stuff shot .5 to .75 MOA all day long. I replaced the ported BOSS with the BOSS conventional recoil (CR) attachment to quiet it down and still got the same results. It shoots even better with handloads but I never had to mess with the settings. I guess finding the node within a charge ladder obviated the need to adjust the BOSS, so I just leave it alone now. Still a good system but probably "Old" technology at this point.
They have been around for a while but nobody is doing anything with them. It complicates my hunting rifle, or I might move it to the hunting rifle....somehow I think the Brux barrel will be a better choice!

They have been around for a while but nobody is doing anything with them. It complicates my hunting rifle, or I might move it to the hunting rifle....somehow I think the Brux barrel will be a better choice!
I guess what I've found out is that if one is a handloader, there is really no need for such a system.

I hope you're not suggesting that a tuner has to be set different for every range.
Yes I am.

How else can two bullet's trajectories with a given velocity spread cross at two different ranges? The slower bullet's trajectory is always above the faster ones before tuned range; below after tuned range.

I'll make a chart with Sierra software to easily show why.

I didn't play with powder charges I just picked a powder to het the velocity I was after and started adjusting the boss takes fighting different powder charges mostly out of the equation. David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.