Anybody have a barrel rebored?

Oldschool280

I have been wanting a rem 760 in 35 whelen for a while now. I see the all black 7600 limited run carbine's on gunbroker but not to crazy about them. I see a fella in oregon is reboring these rifles for a reasonable rate. This rifle bugholes at 100 yards currently. Is it a waste to have this barrel worked on? If the new bore is incapable of similar accuracy i would be very very unhappy. Would i be rolling the dice?

Last edited:
I'd always wanted to do this too. Very reasonable price, I think. I though of doing the same thing with an 8x57 (to 9.3mm though).

It's not like you can't get 760s anymore either. You could probably find one and have it bored for less than what the 35 Whelen factory 7600 rifles go for.

I wasn't being smart I think because you posted 2 things..It shoots good now
And you would be unhappy if it doesn't shoot as good after. So keep it just how it is and look for something to play with? ..Used?

I was thinking of buying a seperate barrel and having it headspaced to the same as the 06 barrel to then have an interchangeable set . I have to call the guy when they open to see if it is a reasonable request. +1 on the buy another and not shoot it before shipping it out. Exactly what went through my mind before i found new barrels available seperate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.