Rebore a barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by truck driver, Dec 5, 2013.

1. truck driver

truck driver Well-Known Member

I'm looking to having a barrel rebored to .358 and would like some input from those who have had a barrel rebored.
    I plan on having JES do the work and he likes the 3 groove design but also offers 4 and 5 groove. I understand the 3 groove is least expensive to do but have read that for larger calibers it's not recommended. Lija uses a 3 groove on barrels .30 and under.
    What are your thoughts or experience with rebored barrels?lightbulb

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Rebore a barrel aint cheap. I looked into reboring my shot out 270 wsm and was left with the question: why?

I think barrel making is as much art as science. And to me a brand new, hand lapped bore is worth the $150 more than a rebored hand lapped surface.

You do understand that $150 is all you're going to save over a new barrel?
    And with a little careful shopping you could spend even less, cutting that savings to less than $100.

So I'm back to my original question: why?

All in all, its your decision, you pays your money and you takes your choice. :D

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.

4. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Sort of like an original Sendero SF barrel... :D

I can't wait to get my .25-06 A.I. off the ground, but I really would love to convert it to a 6.5 Sherman with that barrel...Unfortunately, the 0.007" difference in caliber diameter might not be enough to bore the barrel and re-rifle it. LOL

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I was thinking more in the line of an original pre '64 Winchester 70 or a custom wood stocked rifle made by a long passed gunsmith of notoriety from days gone by. I would do the Winchester just to make it useable again, not to try to turn it into a 'tack driver', although it could well be. Other than that, I'd not bother to send a hammer forged barrel for re-boring and rifling.

6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Well, my Sendero SF's mean alot to me, so I guess when I burn out the .25-06 A.I. barrel, I'll have it rebored and 5R rifled as a .284 1:9 barrel for my .280 A.I.

7. beretzs

beretzs Well-Known Member

I had a 338 Win Mag rebored/rechambered to 35 Newton. Cost 250.00 from doorstep to doorstep by JES. Pretty tough to beat that price for any barrel, let alone getting a smith to put it on.

Not saying it is better than a full custom job, but it is 3 groove, cut rifling and it is shooting very well for me so far.

If you have question, give JES a call. Very user friendly and great work from what I can tell.

8. truck driver

truck driver Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's on my list of things to do.

9. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

yes- a pre garcia sako or a pre 64 model 70 . or the others shotgrass mentioned. the barrel makers i know say it is easier and better to just get a new barrel .

10. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

It may not always be cheaper to buy a new custom barrel vs re-boring/re-rifling the existing barrel.

I have two #5 fluted SS liljas that cost quite a bit of money. One is longer than standard offering the other has a brake. They will be re-rifled when they wear out fitting the rifle perfectly and will cost far less than installing a new barrel with same characteristics.

I have had Dan Pederson do a 30" #7 lilja SS from 7mm to .338 a few years ago and am very happy with the accuracy and low cost.