Rebore a barrel

truck driver

I'm looking to having a barrel rebored to .358 and would like some input from those who have had a barrel rebored.
I plan on having JES do the work and he likes the 3 groove design but also offers 4 and 5 groove. I understand the 3 groove is least expensive to do but have read that for larger calibers it's not recommended. Lija uses a 3 groove on barrels .30 and under.
What are your thoughts or experience with rebored barrels?lightbulb

Rebore a barrel aint cheap. I looked into reboring my shot out 270 wsm and was left with the question: why?

I think barrel making is as much art as science. And to me a brand new, hand lapped bore is worth the $150 more than a rebored hand lapped surface.

You do understand that $150 is all you're going to save over a new barrel?
And with a little careful shopping you could spend even less, cutting that savings to less than $100.

So I'm back to my original question: why?

All in all, its your decision, you pays your money and you takes your choice. :D

I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.

I have had Danny, at Classic Barrel Works, bore and rifle several for me, and, I will have him do more in the future. The only ones I have had done have been those originally made by one of the custom makers (Krieger, Hart, Shilen, etc.). I would not bother to send a 'factory' barrel to have it rebored and rifled unless it was to restore a valuable piece that I wanted to keep in original configuration.
Sort of like an original Sendero SF barrel... :D

I can't wait to get my .25-06 A.I. off the ground, but I really would love to convert it to a 6.5 Sherman with that barrel...Unfortunately, the 0.007" difference in caliber diameter might not be enough to bore the barrel and re-rifle it. LOL

Sort of like an original Sendero SF barrel... :D

I can't wait to get my .25-06 A.I. off the ground, but I really would love to convert it to a 6.5 Sherman with that barrel...Unfortunately, the 0.007" difference in caliber diameter might not be enough to bore the barrel and re-rifle it. LOL
I was thinking more in the line of an original pre '64 Winchester 70 or a custom wood stocked rifle made by a long passed gunsmith of notoriety from days gone by. I would do the Winchester just to make it useable again, not to try to turn it into a 'tack driver', although it could well be. Other than that, I'd not bother to send a hammer forged barrel for re-boring and rifling.

Well, my Sendero SF's mean alot to me, so I guess when I burn out the .25-06 A.I. barrel, I'll have it rebored and 5R rifled as a .284 1:9 barrel for my .280 A.I.

I had a 338 Win Mag rebored/rechambered to 35 Newton. Cost 250.00 from doorstep to doorstep by JES. Pretty tough to beat that price for any barrel, let alone getting a smith to put it on.

Not saying it is better than a full custom job, but it is 3 groove, cut rifling and it is shooting very well for me so far.

If you have question, give JES a call. Very user friendly and great work from what I can tell.

I had a 338 Win Mag rebored/rechambered to 35 Newton. Cost 250.00 from doorstep to doorstep by JES. Pretty tough to beat that price for any barrel, let alone getting a smith to put it on.

Not saying it is better than a full custom job, but it is 3 groove, cut rifling and it is shooting very well for me so far.

If you have question, give JES a call. Very user friendly and great work from what I can tell.

Thanks, that's on my list of things to do.

yes- a pre garcia sako or a pre 64 model 70 . or the others shotgrass mentioned. the barrel makers i know say it is easier and better to just get a new barrel .

It may not always be cheaper to buy a new custom barrel vs re-boring/re-rifling the existing barrel.

I have two #5 fluted SS liljas that cost quite a bit of money. One is longer than standard offering the other has a brake. They will be re-rifled when they wear out fitting the rifle perfectly and will cost far less than installing a new barrel with same characteristics.

I have had Dan Pederson do a 30" #7 lilja SS from 7mm to .338 a few years ago and am very happy with the accuracy and low cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts