Anybody put a BOSS on a custom barrel?

Just a note on the BOSS. My wife has a stock Browning A-bolt, 7mm RemMag, with a Browning BOSS. She loves it and it, as mentioned above, tunes factory ammo well for the distances that she shoots, BUT reloading for the rifle with the BOSS is cumbersome. This is especially true in working up loads for accuracy. My 50+ year old stock Rem M-700 is much easier to load for, and shoots as well as the Browning in her hands. She is the better shot. I don't mind because I taught her to shoot.

Barrel harmonic frequencies are fixed for a given barrel profile and tuner setting regardless of recoil forces. Only their amplitude changes with recoil force changes.

That is true, but when you add weight to the muzzle it also changes the harmonics. and the effective profile/contour. :)

J E CUSTOM

If you don't reload then the boss will help tune factory ammo to shoot better. It does not do very well at recoil reduction though. also it will not guarantee tight groups because the ammo it's self
is not that good in many rifles. But it can help accuracy with factory ammo.

Best results are when you install a highly efficient muzzle brake (The lower recoil reduces many of the harmonics that cause poor performance) on a custom barrel and work up loads for it. This way you have the best of all things.

Even with Quality ammo and a barrel they may not have the range of adjustments to improve certain loads.

J E CUSTOM
IF you can't handle the recoil get a smaller gun don't like muzzle brake on any rifle

IF you can't handle the recoil get a smaller gun don't like muzzle brake on any rifle

You may be right, :) I tried shooting my 50 BMG without a brake and I couldn't handle 118 ft lbs of recoil, so I designed a brake for it so I could handle the recoil. I shoot my 416 Buff with out a brake and after 50 rounds the fun has gone out of it. But It only produces 69.5 pounds of recoil. my limit for 2 or 3 shots seems to be around 85 Ft/Lbs.

J E CUSTOM

BUT reloading for the rifle with the BOSS is cumbersome. This is especially true in working up loads for accuracy.
Do you have a basis for this notion? What is cumbersome in tuning with a barrel device that you don't even have to pay attention to (if you don't want to)?
You could screw the tuner in all the way and develop the load with the BOSS functioning as no more than a flash hider.

Bart, what competitors do at fixed ranges is not what hunters do in the field.
Browning's BOSS procedure is for hunters.

I find it kind of strange that the tuner on one of my 600 bench rifles got tuned at 100 yards and never had to be changed for 600 yards. 🤔 Not only that, it has shot a few 2-2.5" groups at 600 in IBS registered matches. I dunno....maybe I'm doing it wrong.

If you don't reload then the boss will help tune factory ammo to shoot better. It does not do very well at recoil reduction though. also it will not guarantee tight groups because the ammo it's self
is not that good in many rifles. But it can help accuracy with factory ammo.

Best results are when you install a highly efficient muzzle brake (The lower recoil reduces many of the harmonics that cause poor performance) on a custom barrel and work up loads for it. This way you have the best of all things.

Even with Quality ammo and a barrel they may not have the range of adjustments to improve certain loads.

J E CUSTOM
More than just the "unknown" about the BOSS on a Browning BAR .338 caused me to have enough concern to not purchase it and go with the Weatherby .340 MAG with Accumark. Glad I did now. Every positive feedback you read about the Accumark is true. I don't know if you can get it on a custom barrel or not. If you can that would be my recommendation.

Do you have a basis for this notion? What is cumbersome in tuning with a barrel device that you don't even have to pay attention to (if you don't want to)?
You could screw the tuner in all the way and develop the load with the BOSS functioning as no more than a flash hider.

Bart, what competitors do at fixed ranges is not what hunters do in the field.
Browning's BOSS procedure is for hunters.
My basis is that I don't have a lot of time to shoot, reshoot, and keep reshooting to tune a load. Also I have to tune the BOSS for each load and then recheck it. It is a personal preference, not for everyone, as are most procedures.

My tuning solution...I use the RAS Tuner system. I start by tighten down the brake on my barrel and twist/turn the Tuner sleeve clockwise until it stops. It comes with adhesive stickers with 1/64" spaced lines that attaches to the barrel while tuning and comes off when done. (These 'lines' give me an on going point of reference when tuning.)

I pick a favorite load and start shooting in groups of two shots. After shooting 2 rounds, I move/turn the Tuner sleeve one line counter-clockwise and shoot 2 more rounds. My groups will either tighten up or get larger. As the groups tighten up, I am approaching a barrel harmonic "node". To fine tune a "node", I move the Tuner sleeve 1/2 line one way then the other until it's the best group at this "node". If the best group at this "node" is 1/2" MOA (let's say) and I want a 1/4" MOA group, I go to the next "node". Every 6-7 lines on the Tuner is another "node". Many times the best "node" may not be the first one...could be the second, third, etc.

Based on a remark from JE CUSTOM, there are some rifle/ammo combinations that aren't compatible, no matter what you do. Rarely can you take a hunting rifle, add a RAS Tuner and get a Precision shooter. BUT...what you will get is the best shooter that the hunting rifle is capable of.

If you have an interest, I've got some pictures of my rifles/tuners. Just drop me a text and I'll send them to.

312-617-4711
Don

I pick a favorite load and start shooting in groups of two shots. After shooting 2 rounds, I move/turn the Tuner sleeve one line counter-clockwise and shoot 2 more rounds.
Are 2-shot test groups as statistically significant as 10-shot ones? That is, the same size?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts