Historical long range shooters.

Everyone has a good day occasionally!šŸ˜. He was very condescending towards myself and and a friend in Dallas at a NRA convention. Made several remarks about dumb a@s people from the South that ask stupid questions. Maybe we did, asked about him blowing up revolvers, maybe he had been asked that one time to many.
I'm sorry you had that experience, and I'm not condoning bad behavior, but for whatever reason I think we have all had those days when somebody ticks us off and we take it out on the whole world.

There was a little known article written many years ago entitled "How to Shoot Your Pistols Accurately at Extremely Long Range" by Ed Woszika out of CA where he expounded on Elmerś lined front sight system--like 12 pages of info that awoke the mathematical monster in me, and I started researching it myself and still have the addiction to this day. There was another guy (can't remember his name) who wrote several articles in Precision Shooting mag. years ago that was awesome as well detailing shooting big revolvers out to 1000 yds. Great stuff really!

Well, let's see, USMC Scout Sniper Chuck Mawhinney, M14 with PVS-2 Nam "the river crossing" 16 headshots in 30 seconds at night, aggregate the yards with hits and time for score and distance, winner šŸ˜‰ Chuck was a very fine gentleman, sorry he's gone. Me, my son, and Chuck....on the range. Cheers

View attachment 571815
View attachment 571814
What I would like to know is how he did it because I thought those Starlight scopes were supposed to flare out from the muzzle flash.

during the days of Jesus Christ he was entering a town where the people were about to stone a women to death for sleeping with a man she was not married to, Jesus said he who is without sin cast the first so in this case you say its ok for the man who talked down to people he felt was beneath him so he through the first stone at who he considered to be the sinner was ok but he was the sinner for judging them in the first place that is for god alone,

What I would like to know is how he did it because I thought those Starlight scopes were supposed to flare out from the muzzle flash.
I can't really say in Chuck's situation, I've used the AN/ PVS-2 in the Army on both the M14 and the M16 with nothing more than their standard flash hider and never found them to be a problem. Yeah, if you put enough light on them they'll blink on you, Chuck may have had the PVS-1 but I don't think so. I know some of the guys used suppressors on the M14 and the M16 back then. You might pick up Chuck's book, The Sniper by Jim Lindsay it might shed some light on it for you. Cheers

I can't really say in Chuck's situation, I've used the AN/ PVS-2 in the Army on both the M14 and the M16 with nothing more than their standard flash hider and never found them to be a problem. Yeah, if you put enough light on them they'll blink on you, Chuck may have had the PVS-1 but I don't think so. I know some of the guys used suppressors on the M14 and the M16 back then. You might pick up Chuck's book, The Sniper by Jim Lindsay it might shed some light on it for you. Cheers
I have read his book, but it didn't say anything about flaring out or he wouldn't have been able to do what he did.

Well regardless of opinions, In the hunting world he was always looking at how to get farther with what was available, and improving what we had. His .338 KT doesn't get much notice these days, but coupled with a custom scope with multiple dots, it would still be effective for most.
441460482_3361446790815817_1028599907660044990_n.jpg

I also think Army Sniper Sgt. Ed Easton in his shoot-out on the crashed Huey used the same model PVS-2, on an M14... I think that's right??? Cheers
Remember seeing a history channel documentary about him. Refusing to leave the pilot to die alone. Scope knocked off in the crash, seeing the bullet impact and adjusting to it. Amazing story.

I refurbish a old win94 in 25-35
And in during some research about the 25-35 I believe their is a story about Elmer Keith using one at a deer at over 300 yards and not having enough penetration to get into the second lung. And another time shooting a coyote at 400 yards and not being able to dispatch it effectively. Anyway he definitely was quite the marksman. I'm lucky to hit a 12" plate with those 120 year old sights . That front blade is so thin I need magnifying glasses šŸ¤“. Maybe that's why he favored big bullet's.

I'm sorry you had that experience, and I'm not condoning bad behavior, but for whatever reason I think we have all had those days when somebody ticks us off and we take it out on the whole world.
Yup all is it takes me is getting on the freeway. Not that I take it out on the whole world but it sure doesn't help my blood pressure.