Anybody put a BOSS on a custom barrel?

If you don't reload then the boss will help tune factory ammo to shoot better. It does not do very well at recoil reduction though. also it will not guarantee tight groups because the ammo it's self
is not that good in many rifles. But it can help accuracy with factory ammo.

Best results are when you install a highly efficient muzzle brake (The lower recoil reduces many of the harmonics that cause poor performance) on a custom barrel and work up loads for it. This way you have the best of all things.

Even with Quality ammo and a barrel they may not have the range of adjustments to improve certain loads.

J E CUSTOM

Best results are when you install a highly efficient muzzle brake (The lower recoil reduces many of the harmonics that cause poor performance) on a custom barrel and work up loads for it.
Aren't bullets clear of the barrel before the muzzle brake starts reducing recoil?

Aren't bullets clear of the barrel before the muzzle brake starts reducing recoil?

To a small degree they actually start working because some of the powder charge exits with the bullet but before it has enough effect on the bullet to effect the accuracy. the lower the recoil, the lower the harmonics/vibrations, and the less they effect accuracy. Normally the greatest improvement is shooter skill because he can concentrate on better trigger control and position, because he is not anticipating the recoil and flinching. The efficiency of muzzle brakes depend on many design factors. that Is the reason there is such a difference if muzzle brake performance.

The Boss is simply a adjustable weight with holes in it.

In the 80's A system on an adjustable weight was very popular, the running boar competitions, the adjustable barrel weight was common and they were simply an adjustable weight that screw on the muzzle end and was used for tuning the rifle, These devices were normally 1 to 2 pounds and were very effective for many reasons for the 500 meter off hand contest.

J E CUSTOM

I feel like a tuner is very useful where you have less control over load results (without a tuner).
Also, where your plan is centered on an OCW load, with lowest ES/SD, but it turns out that grouping is not tightest with that load (again, without a tuner).
Competitors use tuners for this and dial in best at fixed ranges.

Bart, would you explain what you mean -for hunters in the field (who might shoot at any range)?

The Boss and the Harrell's precision adjustable break are very similar. I put one on a Compass 7 mag and have been able to get 3 shot groups consistently under 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards all day with various loads. The recoil reduction properties are astounding. It's like shooting a 243.

Had a browning 375 h&h with a boss on it. It did reduce recoil alot. Figured it was no worse than my 06 and it turned in really well. Only thing I hated was the noise. Never have any muzzle brake again. Hard on ears. Now using a suppressor.

I can't fathom placing one on any custom made rifle I have. I suppose that I would attempt to place one on a barrel that doesn't shoot below a 1MOA group but that would be a cost vs reward issue for me. Because all of my customs shoot sub MOA I feel a harmonics damper serves a better purpose
But, again, just my opinion.

Bart, would you explain what you mean -for hunters in the field (who might shoot at any range)?
First, a 50 fps velocity spread can cause a 1/10ths inch/MOA vertical spread in drop at 100 yards. At 1000 yards, its 20 inches; 2 MOA.

If the vertical spread at 1000 needs to be reduced to 1/10th MOA, the slowest ones have to be fired about 2 MOA higher above the LOS than the fastest ones. Tuners set for this situation change the muzzle axis vibration frequency so bullets leave across a 2 MOA vertical spread. Only a 1/10th spread is needed for 100 yards.

Best place on the muzzle axis upswing is near its top. The least amount of angular change per microsecond of barrel time is next to the high and low point. Most is when the axis is half way between its upper and lower limits. Muzzle axes vibration frequencies are several hundred cps.

I had a Browning ABolt in 300 Winchester with the BOSS. It would shoot most 180 gr. factory loads into 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I shot my first antelope with it and several others out to 500 yds. I eventually switched to the CR device with reloads and got the same accuracy. I do not have the ABolt any more but still have the BOSS. My son is going to rethread it to fit a T/C Compass 308. If you want to try it go ahead. You can always take it off if you don't like it.

I understand how tuners can change POI.
But if I just shot a groundhog at 325, and my next ranges at 670, are you suggesting that I would need to adjust my tuner for this different range?
I wouldn't, obviously, without a tuner

I understand how tuners can change POI.
But if I just shot a groundhog at 325, and my next ranges at 670, are you suggesting that I would need to adjust my tuner for this different range?
I wouldn't, obviously, without a tuner
Yes. Smallbore rimfire 22 competitors using tuners use one setting at 50 yards, another at 100. Check out these 2
3 link's web pages:

Some folks think computer software cannot calculate bullet trajectories very precise. NASA's computers calculated launch and flight ballistics to land a rover on the planet Mars.

Last edited:
I wanted a very light rifle. The barrel maker cooperated with my desire and made a 22" barrel taper on a 26" barrel. It was a guaranteed two MOA shooter. I installed an adjustable brake and brought it down to 1" at 300 yards.

The case volume matched a .300 Wea. firing 150 grain Barnes.

To a small degree they actually start working because some of the powder charge exits with the bullet but before it has enough effect on the bullet to effect the accuracy. the lower the recoil, the lower the harmonics/vibrations, and the less they effect accuracy.
Barrel harmonic frequencies are fixed for a given barrel profile and tuner setting regardless of recoil forces. Only their amplitude changes with recoil force changes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.