Questions on a custom rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rdmega, Jul 30, 2009.

1. rdmega

rdmega Active Member

I have a .308 that needs a new barrel soon. It is a savage 10fp. I was leaning towards rebarreling it to a 7mm-08 until I read a little about the straight .284 win. I really want this now for under 800 yard work but I dont know what the mehcanics are?

Is the bolt face of the .284 and .308 the same allowing me to use the same action with a new barrel?

Is the difference between the 7mm-08 and the .284 as good as I read here:

7mm Cartridge Guide

thanks guys,
    Newbie!

2. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

3. rdmega

rdmega Active Member

Awesome. Thanks so much, I searched for the answer but I guess I put in the wrong key words!! thanks

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The bolt face is the same size (.473 ).

But the cartridge overall length of the 284 is .130" longer and may not work in a short
    action.

The 7/08 will fit and feed without any Modifications and is capable of extreme accuracy.

Many 1000yard match's have been won using the 7/08 and you wouldn't be giving up much
    velocity.

The Savage action may be a little longer than the Remington and if it is then the 284 will work
    and it is a proven round also.

I hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

5. rdmega

rdmega Active Member

Great information, this is why I love this site. I would most likely be happy with either round especially over my .308 (I am a 7mm fan) but I have read numberous places about the additional 75-125 fps the .284 can provide and that would really help with pushing some 180g VLD's

I will be building a 7mm WSM to really push them this winter but I want the extra barrel life and low recoil for weekly practice.

thanks again