Questions on a custom rifle

rdmega

I have a .308 that needs a new barrel soon. It is a savage 10fp. I was leaning towards rebarreling it to a 7mm-08 until I read a little about the straight .284 win. I really want this now for under 800 yard work but I dont know what the mehcanics are?

Is the bolt face of the .284 and .308 the same allowing me to use the same action with a new barrel?

Is the difference between the 7mm-08 and the .284 as good as I read here:

7mm Cartridge Guide

thanks guys,
Newbie!

I have a .308 that needs a new barrel soon. It is a savage 10fp. I was leaning towards rebarreling it to a 7mm-08 until I read a little about the straight .284 win. I really want this now for under 800 yard work but I dont know what the mehcanics are?

Is the bolt face of the .284 and .308 the same allowing me to use the same action with a new barrel?

Is the difference between the 7mm-08 and the .284 as good as I read here:

7mm Cartridge Guide

thanks guys,
Newbie!

The bolt face is the same size (.473 ).

But the cartridge overall length of the 284 is .130" longer and may not work in a short
action.

The 7/08 will fit and feed without any Modifications and is capable of extreme accuracy.

Many 1000yard match's have been won using the 7/08 and you wouldn't be giving up much
velocity.

The Savage action may be a little longer than the Remington and if it is then the 284 will work
and it is a proven round also.

I hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Great information, this is why I love this site. I would most likely be happy with either round especially over my .308 (I am a 7mm fan) but I have read numberous places about the additional 75-125 fps the .284 can provide and that would really help with pushing some 180g VLD's

I will be building a 7mm WSM to really push them this winter but I want the extra barrel life and low recoil for weekly practice.

thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.