Boss on x bolts

In addition to my earlier post I forgot to mention that there a system that works better and
without the muzzle brake. it has been used for a long time (Before the boss system) but was
not a factory option,

I used one when I shot running boar because there was a weight limit on the rifles (7.5
pounds scope and all) and the light barrels were not allways able to shoot target accuracy.

So what you had was a non tapered muzzle of about 6 inches and weights were added to it
in different combinations and in different locations to improve accuracy without exceeding the
weight limit.

It was very effective in changing the harmonics but looked like crap.

A heavy barrel will improve performance the same way, so the easy way to improve accuracy
and tuneability is to install a heaver barrel . Also heaver barrels seem to be easier to find
accurate loads for.

J E CUSTOM

JE it sounds like you're more experienced in disabiling tuning, than understanding it.

What basis is there behind a heavier contour barrel performing the same function as a tuner, or being easier to tune than a light contour barrel?
How is barrel weight in itself a tuning adjustment?

JE it sounds like you're more experienced in disabiling tuning, than understanding it.

What basis is there behind a heavier contour barrel performing the same function as a tuner, or being easier to tune than a light contour barrel?
How is barrel weight in itself a tuning adjustment?

I not only understand how they work and also why. I think they should be avoided if
possible. if you want to shoot factory ammo of any type in a light weight barrel then they
can offer some advantages but will have to be tuned for each and may still not shoot some
ammo well at all.

And the reason a heaver contour works better is that they are not only stronger and resist
any whipping/flexing better. Also the weight prevents more movement than a light contours
during firing.

A short barrel has the same effect compared to a long barrel of the same contour.

You will never see a #1 or #2 barrel on a bench rifle but with some match weight restrictions
a lighter barrel is a must, so weight is added to the muzzle end where it will have the
most effect for the weight added. In other words you can take a light barrel and with weight
added to the end it will act more like a heaver contour.

Most bench rifles are very heavy strait barrels that are very short in order to take advantage
of this weight and length. they also normally glue the action to the stock to add more of the
total weight of the rifle and reducing the harmonics even more.

Harmonics are the main cause of poor accuracy and any way that you can reduce or make
them predictable and consistant shot to shot, the better and more consistant it will be.

Light weight/contoured barrels can be made to shoot very accurately but they are also more
sensitive to load differences, so they are harder to find an accurate load for and normally
only like one load.

Good Bedding and Gunsmithing are critical on all rifles but even more important on the light
weight rifles and the tuning systems may improve those that are lacking in both, but you
will never see a boss system on a heavy barrel because they are not nessary.

A heavy barrel will be easier to find a accurate load for and they will normally shoot everything
well, and will have many good load possibilities.

I don't know if I can explain it any better than that.

A light weight barrel has only one advantage "Light weight". A heavy barrel has only one dissadvantage "It is heavy" everything else is an advantage.

If there is a reason to go with a light weight barrel you must except the consequences and
deal with them. But like many things that only address the symptoms(Like tip pressure, tuners,
excessive barrel floating and more) instead of the real issues Hanging something on the end of
a barrel to make up for there deficiencies instead of building it right in the first place is the
easy/cheep way out in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.