Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

I love my Sendero 7mm Mag, easily my favorite rifle to shoot at the range or at ground hogs out past 300 yrds. I have the older version as well. Spider web HS stock with aluminum block bedding, all black finish. But I must say the new model Sendero rifles with the stainless fluted barrels and extreamly nice looking.

My only problem with it now is the barrel is just about gone. The only thing I done to mine was add a removeable stainless break on the end. Adjusted the trigger to 3.5lbs and added decent glass. Konus M30 25x with mil-dot reticle.

Rifle easily shoots a sub 1 inch 10 shot group at 100 yrds. After about 4-5 shots, they are all in the same hole. Cant ask for a better out of the box rifle honestly...

I like it so much im going to turn it into a 338 Ultra Mag next year. Add a stainless barrel of some sorts and a few other things, my goal is for it to shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Then 500 yrd hunting shots will be where the true purpose of the rifle will be used.

Jacob,
I've had a G1 Sendero 300WM for close to 20+ years and getting toward end of life on barrel. My advice would be buy one and shoot it before deciding what to do next . Mine shot 1/2 MOA out of box with 200AB @ 2950 fps and on a really good day that I didn't drink coffee for at least 3 days it would do better or should I say I would do better. It is by far the best out of the box rifle I have had and although new ones may not be the same, I would still go ahead and buy it, shoot it and then decide what to do. I put a Timney trigger in mine first thing and that is all I have done to it and it shoots just fine. If you decide you need more work to shoot long range like past 600 yards or so then yeah, I would invest in the usual upgrades. If you shoot less than 600 it may and probably will do just fine out of the box. The trigger may be something to consider right away and is simple to replace.

I've got over 1200 rounds through mine and it still shoots well under MOA. A .264WM is no different than a 300WM that you really need to cool your barrel down to ambient temps after every 3 shots to maintain barrel life at its fullest. I have done that since day 1 and it still shoots after 1200 rounds so you can get decent life span out of them.

Yes, they are heavy but I would take something out of my pack first before losing the weight. I still carry mine at 9-10K ft and I am 70 years young. Sometimes the weight is more mental than actual consideration. Learn to carry it with pack or really good sling and the weight becomes a non issue IMO. When you are lining up for a shot the weight helps calm down your yips and get off a good killing shot.

Adam32,
I am looking at getting a 264 win.mag. I don't even know what the 700P is. I looked around for it, but did not come up with any results. If you could fill me in that would be great. Thanks for all the comments so far, all the input is great.

Jacob
Hi Jacob,
I have a 270 Win Sendero, I bought the Rifle new in 1995, probably my best Rifle investment. Extremely accurate. Originally I only adjusted the Trigger and I had the action bedded. As the recoil pocket in the stock was a little wide.
I've taken maybe a Hundred Deer with it over the years, but I shot it a lot, it was capable of 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards or less if I did my part.
Well as time went on the Barrel became toast, too many hot loads and light 130 grain SSTs .

I decided to rebarrel the Rifle with a pre-chambered Lothar Lothar barrel in exactly the same profile as the original Barrel. I had the action Blueprinted, barrel Thread for a moderator. A larger recoil lug fitted and the Rifle completely re blued. The barrel this time is a higher grade of Stainless Steel. I got all that done for $ 800, that's a deal if ever there was one.
It's very accurate, not sure exactly how accurate, it's putting 3 rounds into almost one hole on a good day, I haven't really played with loads. I settled on a 150 grain Sierrra GK.
so if you find a Sendero jump on it, particularly the older ones, they were known for accuracy.

In order to touch my lands I'd have to be 1/2 inch over max COAL witch, is impractical and the bullet would hardly be held in the case....

Anybody else have crazy deep lands with the Sendero barrel?
Yes mine goes on for about a month ! If I use the Stoney point tool to measure Ogive, the bullet just ends up outside the case. The Original barrel was almost the same. However the Rifle is very accurate and at least you won't have bullet induced pressure issues by seating then into the lands as you cannot reach them.

Someone named Jacob probably just woke up because his phone lit up with notifications from some forum that he doesn't remember subscribing to. :D
Some guy named Jacob probably read that and looked at his collection of custom actions and rifles with high end scopes and remembered how much things have changed and how much his hobby ended taking over his life!😂😂

1994, one of the first Senderos that hit town. Excuse the notation about Culver measure. Back then when we exchange powder charges we use the number of clicks on the Culver. Old benchrest thing.

20240201_002507.jpg

Last edited: