Pros and Cons of the Remington Sendero

Jacob Johnson

Hey Guys,
I have been looking at a Remington Sendero as an alternative to having a custom gun built. I would like to hear some feed back from anybody that owns one. What do you like? Dislike? Where there any modifications that needed to be made? How is the accuracy? Are these rifles a good alternative to a custom rifle? Any input would be great.

Thanks, Jacob

Last edited:
Jacob, the Sendero line of Remington rifles are good, however, need some work to be great. A bedding and trigger job would be the first thing I would do to the Sendero. If you had more money to spend, I would have the actioned trued.

The good things about the Sendero are;
1. You have an action that can be turned into a great action
2. It comes with a good H&S stock
3. The trigger is easy to work on
4. The rifle is pretty accurate out of the box. However, if your wanting the most accurate rifle out of the box for the price, I would look at the Savage 12 Series rifles.

The dislikes;
1. The price, way too much.

Wildcat

Jacob

The Sendero is one of the best factory rifles at the price and
make a good platform for a custom rifle,And if you decide later to
biuld a custom rifle all you have to buy is a quality barrel and
have the smith blueprint the action.

I have had at least 6 senderos and only one did'nt shoot sub MOA's

So if you are willing to take a chance that you will get a good shooter
then buy a Sendero if not then get a full blown custom with an accurace
guarantee.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Adam32,
I am looking at getting a 264 win.mag. I don't even know what the 700P is. I looked around for it, but did not come up with any results. If you could fill me in that would be great. Thanks for all the comments so far, all the input is great.

Jacob

Adam32,
I am looking at getting a 264 win.mag. I don't even know what the 700P is. I looked around for it, but did not come up with any results. If you could fill me in that would be great. Thanks for all the comments so far, all the input is great.

Jacob

Jacob,

Remington Law Enforcement - Rifles - Model 700P Standard

The 700P is the Law Enforcement version. I have one in .223 and its a shooter. No .264 Win Mag though...

I've enjoyed the heck out of mine.

The first thing I would do is lower the trigger to 2 pounds. The Sendero is an excellent factory platform, great candidate for upgrades.

I have the older style, before they changed the stock. I have never bedded it holds zero and shoots fine, with the aluminum bedding block.

If your not stuck on one caliber, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. You see them for sale all the time.

Jacob,
I like the Sendero's because they shoot. The first thing I do to any rifle I get is adjust the trigger to about 2lbs. If it won't adjust down to that level, I put a after market trigger in it.
The Sendero's have good actions, Remington 700. It's not a custom, but alot of "custom" rifles have been based on this action. The barrel is standard Remngton factory. I don't think they do anything special like lap it or use any special cutting process. That's luck of the draw, but I've had good luck three times! The stocks are made by HS Precision for Remington. They are synthetic with an aluminum bedding block so they are very stable, consistent and do not shift POI, normally.
I've owned two of the original style with solid blued barrel. One in 7mmRM and the other in .300WM. Both shot lights out and consistently connected on remote, small targets. Good glass is required.
I now have a 700P in 7mmRM and a Sendero SF in .25-06. The 700P is just getting broke in and the last three groups were .8, .6 and .4 (62.5/63.0/63.5gns IMR4350/150gn NBT/CCI BR2). I haven't chrono'd them yet but I'm pretty sure they're fast!
The .25-06 shoots everything very well. It shoots the Sierra 75gn HP (coyote load), 100gn TSX and NBT and 115gn NBT and 117gn Sierra spitzer all into sub .5" groups.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They flat out deliver. Heavy, that's subjective, like recoil. Both of the 7mags that I have/had were used. The guys that got rid of them said they were too heavy. I say cowboy up. It's not intended to be a mountain rifle or to be used to shoot bobwhites and running cotton tails! They were the first "speciality" rifles, designed for the general public, intended for long range shooting/hunting. JohnnyK.

I am also interested in the sendero. Can any one else tell Jacob and I more about the sendero? What group sizes and what work needed to be done?

Thanks,
Levi

Levi,
About the only thing that I have ever done on mine is adjust the trigger down and do a proper barrel break-in (another lengthy subject with many opinions). I only shoot handloads, so ammo is usually tailored to the rifle. Install the best glass you can afford. Learn your set-up and practice. Have fun. JohnnyK.

Levi

I have a factory barrel and stock 300 Rum Sendaro. The rifle has been bedded using Steel Bed, Jewel trigger, Custom brake and of course a thicker Recoil lug. Now that may sound like allot but the rifle shoots sub 1/4 MOA @ 100. It loves the 185 VLDs & Retumbo. My smith has talked me into building a new big 30, and I do not know why I agreed, but all well it is good to have a variety.