338 Allen Magnum

A friend of mine has a ranch in Wyoming. We were visiting him and he has the 338AM in a beautiful rifle with brake. We were Prairie Dog shooting and he brought it out to show us. I got the pleasure to fire it a couple of time at 500 yds with 300 gr bullets. Exceptional accuracy and not bad at all on recoil. Shot twice and hit both. At the time each round was $3.⁰⁰ to load. I bet it cost a lot more now.
(I believe it was built by Allen and look like a Lazzeroni rifle topped with a Leupold 8.5-25x50 Long Range scope. Loaded ammo looked like .50BMG's little brother.)

Ok I see other threads on calibers that guys are building and I love that they do. I have learned more by ready posts on here in the last two years than I have shooting all my life. Yes I'm not perfect or claim to be. I'm still learning and finding out about new stuff all the time. I know there's a bunch of 338 guys on here and come to be really good friends with some off you all. Well I started out 16 years old with my dad's 308 norma mag. Shortly after that I had enough pig money to buy my first rifle a 30-06. As I got in to loading about the same time I ended up getting a 338 win mag around 19. That became my favorite rifle and we have taken many game together from mule deer to antelope. Years go by and I venture in the 270 and 7mm realm where I'm still at. Some of you ive had a lot of conversations with about them. Well two years ago I decided to venture back in the 338 realm and ordered a 338am. I know there's not alot of information on them so I decided to start this thread on it and my finds with it. So follow along and I'll post my progress as it happens. Thanks for reading along with me and sorry it turned out a little winded.
Shawn Carlock built me a 338 Allen Mag over 16 years ago right after Kirby had developed it. If I remember correctly Kirby had only produced a couple of them at that point and since he and Shawn were friends, there was an agreement to let Shawn chamber them as well. I didn't have it long as I was offered way more than it cost to build at the time and I already had an Edge which would shoot way past my hunting distances so I pockets the extra and put it into a 7WSM and a 260 for comp. The Allen Mag was a shooter and even back then, 2k was a long ways but easily achievable. Shawn and Kirby have probably done more for the long range community over the last 20 years than any one else and continue to be at the forefront. Shawn does and will continue to build all of my rifles. I have never had one fail me. You will love that AM. Better get a good spotter for how far out you can go!

Here's some more information. This is when Kirby was putting together a load for the 300gr Berger's.

Screenshot_20240429_095856_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_095647_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Not sure how i missed this original post other then when it was originally posted, was just running ragged. The 338 AM along with the 7mm AM are probably to date my favorite of my wildcats. Its simply amazing how potent the 338 AM is ballistically while being WARM and FUZZY to shot from a recoil standpoint. 1000 yard hits can only be described as easy…. Hate to say that as it sounds cocky but that has been a quote from many of my 338 AM customers. With the newer projo designs, even more potent. Just give that barrel plenty of time to cool and limit to three shot string MAX. Thanks for the report. Most can not believe the flight time at ranges past 1000 yards until they experience them first hand!!😳

Shawn Carlock built me a 338 Allen Mag over 16 years ago right after Kirby had developed it. If I remember correctly Kirby had only produced a couple of them at that point and since he and Shawn were friends, there was an agreement to let Shawn chamber them as well. I didn't have it long as I was offered way more than it cost to build at the time and I already had an Edge which would shoot way past my hunting distances so I pockets the extra and put it into a 7WSM and a 260 for comp. The Allen Mag was a shooter and even back then, 2k was a long ways but easily achievable. Shawn and Kirby have probably done more for the long range community over the last 20 years than any one else and continue to be at the forefront. Shawn does and will continue to build all of my rifles. I have never had one fail me. You will love that AM. Better get a good spotter for how far out you can go!
I had been building the 338 Allen Mag for several years when Shawn asked if i would be willing to sell him a reamer so he could build them. That is the ONLY APS wildcat reamer in use outside of my shop. That should speak volumes as far as my thoughts and respect for Shawn. I know him, i know his attention to detail is same as mine and i know his rifle quality will allow the 338 AM to reach its full potential. Have had literally hundreds of requests from builders to purchase my wildcat reamers but thats the only one i sent out the door.

Not sure how i missed this original post other then when it was originally posted, was just running ragged. The 338 AM along with the 7mm AM are probably to date my favorite of my wildcats. Its simply amazing how potent the 338 AM is ballistically while being WARM and FUZZY to shot from a recoil standpoint. 1000 yard hits can only be described as easy…. Hate to say that as it sounds cocky but that has been a quote from many of my 338 AM customers. With the newer projo designs, even more potent. Just give that barrel plenty of time to cool and limit to three shot string MAX. Thanks for the report. Most can not believe the flight time at ranges past 1000 yards until they experience them first hand!!😳
Yes Sir!! And thank you for jumping on and talking about it a little. And I can attest to the 1000 yard comet. That was the first time ever shooting past 800 yards. And let me tell ya it won't be the last lol 😆

Yes, still have the ones you made me. I've only got 18 rounds on her so far.
When you get those used up we will get you some of the new peterson brand brass……. Its like putting a super charger on that thing!! Dramatically stronger brass handles much more pressure even with much higher brass life!! Easily lapua brand strength and quality and best yet, American made!!!

When you get those used up we will get you some of the new peterson brand brass……. Its like putting a super charger on that thing!! Dramatically stronger brass handles much more pressure even with much higher brass life!! Easily lapua brand strength and quality and best yet, American made!!!
Hell Ya!!!

Can confirm! Very limited experience but I have LOVED the Peterson brass in my boring old savage 300 win mag. I've used both Peterson and Lapua, I'd call it a draw, six of one half a dozen of the other. The Peterson in .300 win has a bit less internal volume, not necessarily a good or a bad thing, it's just something to note

Have used it exclusively in all my Stalker wildcats (300 norma mag) Allen Magnum wildcats (338 lapua and 408 cheytac based) and in my Raptor wildcats (turning the 33xc back into the beast if was originally designed to be with my 300, 338 and 375 Raptor chamberings. As mentioned, full equal to the lapua brand brass in every way. Will also be using them on my new Prowler line…..oops!!….. said to much!!😳😁

Recent Posts