Deciding between a few rifles....Pros/Cons?

I have several Savage rifles, and they are very accurate. I also have a TC Venture that is the most accurate rifle I have. That meaning I don't have to find a bullet it likes.... I can count on it shooting what ever I want to shoot under a inch. I have worked up loads from 150 grain to 215 grain bullets. (30-06) It shoots them all sub MOA. As far as future work on the Venture, it will be no different than swapping a barrel on a Remington 700.... But my Savages are hard to beat for the convenience of barrel swap... Plus they are very accurate...

Well here is what I have ended up with. I found a person on a local forum who has a Remington 700 sps in 300 WSM for sale. The rifle has not been shot much, he tells me it shoots well and that he is just selling a bunch of stuff to buy Christmas presents. It comes with a bunch of new Winchester brass (he says a bag and a half, I assume that means 75), a box and a half of Federal Fusion, and RCBS dies. All of it for $475

Well here is what I have ended up with. I found a person on a local forum who has a Remington 700 sps in 300 WSM for sale. The rifle has not been shot much, he tells me it shoots well and that he is just selling a bunch of stuff to buy Christmas presents. It comes with a bunch of new Winchester brass (he says a bag and a half, I assume that means 75), a box and a half of Federal Fusion, and RCBS dies. All of it for $475

Buy it and run!

Gives you plenty of wiggle room to upgrade the trigger and anything else you may need. I'll take a Rem over a savage all day, I have a few savages and though they are adequate there is still A LOT to be desired.

After owning tikka, remington, and custom actions the savage will quickly fall to the bottom of your list just over the ruger americans.

x2 on buying it! I would take the savings and plan on getting a Timney for it. At that point, see how it shoots. My SPS was a 1 MOA gun with the factory stock and trigger. Upgraded with a Bell and Carlson stock that I bedded along with a Timney and it's a 1/2 MOA gun now with the factory barrel.

First I'd shoot it. Then put a jewel on it, then watch for a mcm or manners to pop up and re-stock it. Then a new tube.... then if you want a little bit more get a ptg bolt.

Thanks again for your help. I do plan to shoot it as is for a bit and see what it will do. Hopefully I got a decent one to start with and won't feel rushed to have to do anything.

I plan to make sure the barrel is floated in the factory stock, is there any use trying to bed the factory stock? Or just use it as is until I can throw it away for an upgrade?

Bedding that stock can be difficult because the bedding agent won't stick to the stock very well from my understanding. You can certainly try though! If you do, I would be sure do sand the surface a bit to rough it up. That should help the bedding stick better.

Bedding that stock can be difficult because the bedding agent won't stick to the stock very well from my understanding. You can certainly try though! If you do, I would be sure do sand the surface a bit to rough it up. That should help the bedding stick better.

Dremel would be better. If you bed it I would DIY, like I mentioned you will find a stock for it in no time depending on how pick you are. If I were you I'd already be deciding on which stock I want and starting my search.

Dremel would be better. If you bed it I would DIY, like I mentioned you will find a stock for it in no time depending on how pick you are. If I were you I'd already be deciding on which stock I want and starting my search.

I eventually want to go with the Magpul stock, but yeah I will start looking for an interim stock.

Yeah, you aren't going to find much in the way of a decent stock for a lot cheaper than the magpul. Probably best to just save for the magpul.

I eventually want to go with the Magpul stock, but yeah I will start looking for an interim stock.

I would handle one of these stocks before you get balls deep. You can pick up a used mcmillan or manners for $1-200 more than the magpul. In a pinch the mcm or manners resale value will far outweigh the magpul, just something to consider.

I would handle one of these stocks before you get balls deep. You can pick up a used mcmillan or manners for $1-200 more than the magpul. In a pinch the mcm or manners resale value will far outweigh the magpul, just something to consider.

True. Are there any other stocks in that price range with detachable magazines though?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.