pros and con for 6mm284 and 6mm/06

oldfamily

Need some help with what I want to have built. I am planning on a new project for a yote gun. These are the two that are catching my interest, BAD. 80 to 100 grain or so bullets. # 5 barrel contour. 28 to 30 in what would be the strong points for the 284 based round and faults? same question for the 06 based round. This kind of thing drives me nuts. I know the brass for the 284 would be of better quality, one strong point just that this will be a carry gun and jack around gun. thanks for your help Oldfamily

I have both. I prefer the 6mm-06 for a repeater because it feeds abit better than the 6mm-284. Case capacity is about the same on both with the 6mm-06 having a slight edge. Brass quality will be better on the 6mm-284. I had Kirby Allen build me a 6mm-06 with a 28 inch barrel and it shoots consistantly in the .2s and .3s with just about any bullet. Nice, very nice. Completely hammers dogs .

don't count the 06 brass out !! Lapua makes it as does RWS both are as good or better than any of the 6.5-284 brass.

Both would need to be builton a long action , yea I know , the 6-284 can be built on a short action but you might run into trouble with seating the bullets to deep.
The 06 case will probably feed a little smoother but you will have more case streching and probably shorter barrel life.
unless your looking to shoot heavy bullets as fast as possible I think that you would be better served with a 243Ai , you can drive a 75gr V-max out to around 4000fps out of a 26" barrel and that does the damage at 400yds that a 220 Swift does at 200. Again you can use Lapua brass , it'll feed well out of a short action and the barrel life will better than the 6-284 or the 6-06 and the velocity differance is minimal, again unless your wanting to drive some heavy bullets out realy far

4000 FPS with a 75 gn V Max in a 26 inch barrel .243 AI ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You're a braver man than I !
Case capacity is around 7 - 8 % higher than a standard .243 . That equates to velocities about 2 - 3% higher .3700 FPS is hotter than I'd care to go in mine on a regular basis (I have tried).

oldfamily,
In my opinion (someone who has shot out more than his share of 6mm barrels) the only way to have either the 6mm284 or 6mm/06 is with a 1-8" twist to shoot 95-107gr VLD type of bullets with anything other than a 3 groove barrel.
If you want to shoot 70-90gr bullets use something with a smaller case capacity (243,243AI,6mmRem) and enjoy a much extended barrel life.
UB

I've had both I probably would prefer the 6-284 because of being able to use a short action.

JD is right about bullet seating depth. If your going to spend your money and want a 6-284. I picked out a few bullets I wanted to shoot seated them, made sure they fit in my magazine, sent case with bullet seated, and had a custom reamer made. It's not that much more money than a standard reamer. You could have had my reamer, but I can't find it sorry. I got out of the wildcatting. Why not a 243 wssm?

The 243wssm is nearly identical in capacity as the 243 winchester but feeds very poorly. I havent been impressed with any of the wssms. But hey thats just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.