Opinions wanted......

Re: Opinions wanted, again.....

Kirby
I didnt mean barrel blocking the 243,we've both got the big sixes covered!.What I ment to ask is would putting a barrel block on the 6-223 help keep it cool enough to use all day long?Be easier and maybe more productive than switching guns evry time one gets hot?
As for makeing a reloadable HMR +P Your idea should work great in the Ruger and am very interested to se if this works as planned!
As for a +P HMR I was lookin at the 5.7x28mm round for a doner case??

Fiftydriver,
jonpol on Saubier has a set of Redding form and f/l reloding dies for a 17 squirell for sale for $240 shipped. Hope this is of intrest.
Regards.
hjl

I was just looking at a 223 shooting a 50grain V-max, compared to a 6x45 shooting a 70 grain TNT.

223; 3400fps
6x45; 3100fps

They both have equal drop out ot 500 yards. The question is, wich one will be better in killing the game. There is a 300fps difference in speed, but will the 6mm open up more, and do more damage? Or will the speed of the smaller bullet be more violent?

Oh, and the 70grain TNT is cheaper. So over the barrels lifetime, say 10,000 rounds, you will save $4-500 if you buy in bulk.

But, you have other options out, like the 75V-max that will outperform both!

everything you have stated screams 20 VT or 6br....I have both and shot both A LOT thats my 2 cents. I could elaborate on both however you are probably familiar with both... and it stinks typing on these things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The TAC20 would be an excellent choice.

Brass is now available from Nesika and Dakota Arms.

Cooper is selling loaded ammo.

For the uninitiated, it's essentially a necked down 223. Very similar to the 204 Ruger, but with some subtle differences. I don't know what they are off the top of my head. Velocity is right at about 4100 to 4200. Powder consumption is on par with light loads for 223. Around 22-23 grains I believe. (Guessing a little here)
Small primer.

They hammer with Lilja barrels, I know that much. The Predator routinely shot in the low "ones" with ammo loaded in mass quanity. Tossed charges, etc. . .

Granted, this was only 100 yards, but it was a good sign.

When hosting the Dakota Arms spring prairie dog shoot, several journalists came out to fuss over the "predator" a single shot light varmint rifle Dakota experimented with for a short time.

These guns were abused by the magazine guys. I mean really abused. To the order of 1000 rounds plus per day at almost a sustained pace. Just breaks for lunch and gab sessions.

These rifles were not cleaned at the end of the day.

We had one rupture during the whole time. A guy left the gun loaded for five minutes and then cooked it off. that poor little case was broiled in a gun that had about 800 or so rounds through it before being fired.

It smoked the primer pretty good.

The cartridge shoots remarkably well. the BC's on the bullets are in the happy zone and they are devastating on muts. I've seen this personally.

Guys at this shoot connected in excess of 600 yards. Seriously. I realize you are pushing a feather when we talk about little 20's, I didn't believe it either until talking with Ward Dobler. Probably the most honest person alive. Give him a call at Dakota Arms if you'd like to learn more about the cartridge.

one word of caution.

Avoid load data published in older issues of Small Caliber News. Your bolt face and eye balls will thank you for it.

Chad Dixon

[ QUOTE ]
The 308-155 Scenar is actually longer than the .308-190SMK, and has a BC that is equal to the 190...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very curious as to where you get that idea. I shoot them both regularly and have concluded very different results.

Some facts about the 190 SMK and the 155 Scenar.

190 SMK = 1.365" long (average).

190 SMK published BC = .533

155 Scenar = 1.280" long (average).

155 Scenar published BC = .508

So as you can see, the 155 Scenar is shorter than the 190 SMK and the 190 SMK also has a higher BC than the 155 Scenar.

Out of one test rifle I found the Scenar bullet to match my RSI program (I am using RSI in this case for an un-bias comparison) on the G1 scale at .499 and the 190 SMK at .564 G1. I have yet to test these in my 300 RUM 12 and 11.27x barrels.

meichele, Now your not playing fair. Someone took there ball and went home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Orinially posted by Dan B #137302 - 01/15/07 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked old bear's suggestion of the 6T/CU but with your "cold form" requirement, this is out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought I saw 7tcu brass for sale.
Does necking it down put it outside of the requirements ?
The stuff I saw was nickle plated though, might be a deal breaker.

[ QUOTE ]
.....or maybe a 7.62X39 necked to 6mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

JFYI, that is exactly what a 6mm PPC is. Don't know if anyone pointed it out, but the parent case is the .220 Russian, which was parented directly by the 7.62x39. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kirby how about a plain jane 204 ruger with a 1 in 9 twist to shoot the 50 grain berger? No recoil, easy brass prep, and no fire forming. The 20s are pretty impressive in a dog town. Or how about a 6mmx47 lapua?? That lil case looks pretty neat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.