New Special Project, Opinions wanted

Alg,

Yes, that is what i meant by the Wby style bolt, or should we say "full bolt style" My titanium actions are built in this order, 2 or 3 lug systems (both are solid lugs). The 3 lug has the quickest and shortest bolt lift.

The 6,5x47 Lapua is on my hot list. I have the reamer prints on the way.

The "260 Rem AI" was mentioned, looks very good, but fireforming is required. Good thing is factory ammo can be fired in a pinch.

I want to stay with a round that can be reloaded and dies purchased with out special order.

Dave

Dave, IMO, the hot ticket for this round will be the 130 Berger VLD, but the 123's should be close. I will have one in my hands soon...

Keep me updated on this if you can, I have been interested in a take down since I saw Robar's many years ago.

JB

jb,

I have another take down rifle im working on for a customer, he wants the rifle as light as i can get it(4.5# ?), it will come apart in three sections, buttstock, action, and barrel. The longest part will be the barrel & forarm assembly, this has a 308 win chamber, 19" feather contour barrel. He wants it to fit into a back pack. I made up a Ti action that takes a rem 788 magazine. Lots of design issues with this rifle, lots of titainum parts. I will post some pics of that when the time comes.

The Vtac will be very different than the Robar folding stock, my stock system will be removable, could be shot similar to a XP100 pistol. It will have a user friendly rubber pistol grip, similar to a Ruger Redhawk.

I have most of the plans drawn up and will start making chips this weekend. Biggest thing will be to get a barrel ordered. I was looking for a decent used barrel, for testing. 6.5mm 8 to 9 twist. Anyone out there have one fire me an email.

Dave

I understand the differences, and prefer what you are doing.

2pc is best for accuracy and precision, obviously.

You mean Super Redhawk/GP100 handle? (Rubber with wood inlay)Thinking ar15/1911 type would be a better bet...

JB

JB,

I was looking at the AR grip design, but nothing is set in stone yet. The grip will certainly be detachable from the lower assembly, what style i'm not sure yet. My thinking is a comfortable pistol grip, target style maybe. The grip needs to look like it belongs to the overall look of the rifle. Once i get the lower machined i can focus on the grip style.

I have decided on a Titainum receiver with a Bi-metal bolt body. It will be the full bolt style with a Two lug tip, an estimated 75 deg lift, this will aid in the feeding from a detachable double stack magazine and a shorter cocking stroke. Either Sako or AR-15 extractor.

I want to keep the weight down if at all posible, a match dia bbl around the 4# range, 26". There are going to be some design issues along the way, once i built the first one i can see where to make changes and ease up some machining time. I started to draw the plans to this rifle in the late 80's, since then new thoughts and techniques have came along. New materials will make this build very unique. Carbon Fiber, Titainum, Aluminum will be a big part of this rifle.

Dave

how about 6.5 SSM? Then you could at least have room to play with seating and chasing the lands as they disappear.

6.5WSSM is not the best idea for various reasons.

Dave, I'd consider a sako within the lug like Lawton uses...nice ejection angle...

Cool,
JB

jb,

The extractor in the lug works very well, i did that on the Ti action i built for the other take down, its a three lug action. This works very good when picking cases up from a single stack magazine like the rem 788. I have to do more research to see if the three lug will feed from the double stack magazine, if not i will go with two lugs. Two lugs are vertical not horizontal, if you make a single shot then you can put the lugs horizontal and the extr in the lug. When vertical i put the extr between the lugs.

I'm still up in the air about the cartrige?????? 260rem vs 6,5x47 Lapua. The 260 would be less expensive and factory ammo is readly available.

I found a Broughton bbl, but its a straight 1.250 dia, 28" long. I have some concerns about contouring a button rifled barrel. I would like to take it down to a varmint taper of some kind, end up around 4#. 26" Any thoughts?

Chips will fly this weekend!

Dave

Dave - I like the 6.5x47 over the 260 due to component logistics...KISS...no one necking things every which way and having problems etc.

You buy lapua cases, and load them. Period.

Also, the 6.5x47 is the clear winner IMO for magfeeding...if you set the throat to just allow a 142 to fit totally in the neck, you can seat every other normal (123gn+) 6.5 bullet in the neck also (except the norma 130) that I have tested. You can't do this with a 260... even a 123scenar at the base of the neck won't feed in a SA rem mag...

As far as your mag setup, I'd go AICS over the 788 mags in a heartbeat...

AFA ammo costs, who will be buying a 3K$ ultralight take-down and worry about a couple bucks on ammo?

AFA Recontouring a buttoned tube...always makes me nervous...why not call Tim and ask him?

JB

jb,

The 788 mag is for the special ultra light take down rifle, thats what the guy wanted.

For my 6.5 build i was going to use FN 308 mags...I cut down the FN mags for what ever capacity i need. I will check into the AICS mags, might be a better fit.

You really like the 6,5x47 huh! I still havent made up my mind, but the Lapua sounds great.

Dave

Dave - will be shooting 2 this year, one tactical, and one BR...I was just stating facts that lead to my decision...

I think it has a lot of merit for a UL hunter setup also...

For "ultralite" why not the Plastic Tikka mags? I suppose though, that the 788 mags would be the next heavier option...makes sense, just hope Remmy doesn't stop making the mags! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't wait to see how this all pans out...

JB

jb,

The ultra light takedown is shaping up very nice, hope to fire it this weekend. The guy has decided on a 17" barrel length, its a lawton 10 twist contoured like a rem 600 small dia bbl, it wieghs about 15 oz. The takedown setup came out real nice. It will have a 3x9 Burris compact scope on top. After building all these 15# rifles this seems like a feather! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will look into the Tika magazines, that maybe a better option, the 788 mags are hard to get at times.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.