Opinions wanted......

Catshooter,

Thank you for your opinion, it was received and obviously we do not agree so as the originator of this post, please feel free to not reply any more. It is obvious we do not see eye to eye on this and thats fine with me.

Thanks for your imput, lets leave it at that.

Thank you,

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty

First thanks for the barrel info on my post.

After reading your original post it reminded me
of a resent biuld for my brother in law.

His requirements were almost the same so I built
him a 223 with a 1in8 twist 22" #7 tapered barrel on
a remingtion short action with a HS precision stock.

This thing likes everthing from the 40gr hollow point
to the 63gr armor pierce.

For your requirements the 40gr hollow point should be
very good. velocity is 3600 fps with 22" of barrel
and with 24 or 26" of barrel it should be very flat.
and as you know amo for the 223 is very cheep.Winchester
loads some 40gr at 3600fps in 40 round boxes for under
$10 dollars a box that shoot very good (under 1/2moa in
brother inlaws rifle) if you didn't want to reload.

And as far as 400yrds is concerned the military shoots
the 223 at 600yrds with great results.wind is the only
problem and I know you can dope wind.

Just a though. Cheep,no recoil,little or no ricochet
with hollow points,accurate,flat shooting.

Just a thought GOOD LUCK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
J E CUSTOM

Biffs Reloading,

You are correct in that the 243 is a hell of a great performer, with the lightweight bullets its truely head and shoulders above the 22-250 and 220 Swift(that should start another debate!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That said, I have several rifles in that performacne class and do not need that much rifle to fill this window.

I also agree, for the money, the Savage rifles are very hard to beat!!

Thanks for your reply!

Kirby Allen(50)

Specweldtom,

I have considered the AR platform for this project!! May look at that harder yet. Still I am a bolt action man at heart, hard habit to brake!!

Thanks for the reply and input!!

Kirby Allen(50)

JE Custom,

Yes, its hard to go far from the old standard 223 Rem for a rifle like this. Just wanted the extra 100 fps or so I could get with the 6mm version for a bit more splat without more bore heat.

I do already have a reamer in that little monster so that would ne good to go. Also have a #4 Lilja fluted SS blank sitting there in the shop with a 1-12 twist. IT was going to be a new 221 FB but it may turn out to be a 223.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Need to do some thinking on this one and decide which would be best. I have several 223s in the safe so maybe I should just put this money toward a college fund for my little one and just focus on customers rifles!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: Opinions wanted, again.....

Here is another idea I have been chewing on for the last year or so.

I have a Ruger M77/22 in 22 hornet. Well now its a K-Hornet which was a mistake. I had a smith ream it out long before I got into building rifles and the reamer he used was very large in the throat and neck area and accuracy went from 3/4" for 5 shots with the standard hornet to 1.5" with the K-Hornet chamber.

TO make matters worse, the larger shoulder diameter on the K-Hornet will not relaiably feed through the rotary magazine of the Ruger rifles, always binds up if more then two rounds are in the magazine.

I have had this rifle sitting in the safe for several years doing nothing at all, especially after I built my 218 Mashburn Bee on a Winchester M43 receiver.

Still, I have been thinking about what to do with this little rifle as I really do like it. Here are my thoughts on what I wanted to do:

1. Take the Hornet case and shorten it by 0.100". This would allow the use of the new tipped bullets in the short Hornet cases which is not possible with many of the current repeating Hornet rifles. This would still leave a neck length of over 0.280", more then enough.

2. Leave the shoulder-neck junction at the same location but increase the shoulder angle to 30 degrees and leave the shoulder diameter to the same as the old Hornet so that it will still function properly in the Ruger rotary magazines. This would increase case capacity just enough to return it to its original Hornet case capacity after shortening the neck length.

3. And this has been the undecided point so far, neck the case down to either 17 cal or 20 cal. The 17 cal version was what I was originally going to do but with the release of all the new tipped 20 cal bullets this really is an attractive caliber for a small round like this as well.

Basically this new little round would offer velocity potential higher then any standard 22 Hornet with the 20 gr 17 cal V-Max or the 32-40 gr tipped 20 cal bullets.

IT would have a much more positive headspacing shoulder compared to the old Hornet for better accuracy and consistancy and above all else, the shorter case length would allow you to use the tipped bullets in rifles with short magazine lengths which will offer these rounds a huge boost in ballistic performance.

basically what I would be looking to get would be to offer performance pretty much in between the 17 HMR an the 17 Mach IV which this round should do easily.

There is already the 17 K-Hornet and 17 Hornet Improved by these are on the full length Hornet case and shoulder diameters will raise hell with the Ruger magazines and the tipped bullets will often be to long to be seated to the lands with the full length hornet case. This would be solved with the shorter case design.

Anyway let me know what you think of this idea, totally different class of round then what I asked about previously for a much different use.

For those that think that one has to be rich to design your own wildcat round and that only rich gunsmiths can do it, that is really not the case. Here is a break down for anyone that wanted to do something like this providing they had a donor rifle to use for the project:

JGS custom reamer................$185 to $250(17 cal)
Lilja barrel.....................$315
Machining and chambering barrel..$180
Hornady Custom loading dies......under $100

Total............................$780 to $845

Now this is not chump change but I have ordered some new high tech barrels that cost more then the entire cost of this project would from start to finish. For the 6mm-223 it would be slightly more as there would be an additional $180 charge for receiver accurizing, $125 for installation of Sako extractor and bedding of stock to rifle($85 to $130).

Thats a total of $1215 to own your very own creation if you had the donor rifle to start with. Again, not chump change but many of us will spend more then this on some of the factory rifles out there so please do not feel you need to be "Rich" or a "Riflebuilder" to design and own your own round.

Dispite what many have said, if you do some homework and develop a well designed round, you will get alot more out of it then alot of spent time and money and only have one loaded round to show for it.

Many will make it sound like its rocket science to develope your own wildcat round and that its an investment of most peoples annual salary, that is simply bunk.

It can be intimidating at first but it is really quite simple and to be honest, not nearly as expensive as many would have you believe. Now bringing a new wildcat to the market for the public is a bigger deal because you have to really do alot of testing but this is not the case for a rifle for your own personal use.

Anyway, let me have it, what do you think of this little round. I just do not know if I would rather have the 17 or 20 cal version. Either would be a huge improvement over the standard 22 Hornet or even K-Hornet designs which are limited to rounded SP bullets or the very blunt 35 gr V-Max which I do like.

Thanks for your opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

kirby I was thinking of a 223 necked down to either a 20 or 17 caliber maybe heavy for caliber setup. Should be good to out to 400 yards and be fun to shoot. Just thinking of what I would like to make up, got to have something different. Oldfamily

Oldfamily,

I am building a 17-223 AI 30 degree shoulder for a good friend and will be testing the 45 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet. If it works out with this bullet I may look at a standard 17-223 but for really high volume shooting I have found that powder fouling is a real pain for the 17 cals with this capacity. For a more deliberate type of shooting, say chuck hunting or better yet predator hunting, this would be ideal but for really high volume, I just do not like cleaning powder fouling out every 25 rounds when your sitting on a hot gopher patch or dog town!!!

Thanks for the reply, the 20 cal would certainly handle higher volume shooting better but not as well as a 6mm or even 22 cal for that matter.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,was just razzin ya a little earlier.If you have the reamer already the 6-223 will outdo the 223.The 6mm barrel I had must have ben a little slow and my RugerVT in 223 has always ben a sweetheart.That and the 243 keeps steeling all the 55s it can get it neck around.Still think if a guy could do it a barrel block/heat sink might be worth doing on a bench gun.

Your idea of reserecting the Hornet makes a whole lot of sence!Would make a great little short range round that wouldnt scare the dogs much(biggest advantage of the 22lr and HMR)
Shotening the case and not blowing it out would realy work great in the mags...no more loading them single shot.Have always wanted a Ruger hornet but heard nothing but bad things about them.Your adjustments would solve a few of the problems,an aftermarket barrel and good smithing should solve the rest.Is there a way to duplicat the Target Grey finish that Ruger uses?

Kirby: if you want to get into the smaller cases, 17, or 20 cal, go to www.saubier.com All they talk about there are small things.

A 17 Ackley hornet on a CZ rifle, is very popular over there! 20 grain V-max at 3900fps. 25 grain V-max at 3600fps

Now, my dream varminter ( right now that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) , is a single shot 30BR. Shooting a 125 grain TNT, with a BC of .32 at 3000fps, would be like hitting a varmint at 300 yards with two 50grain V-max at the same time. Devastating!! Best thing about it, barrel life! Competetive benchrest life, is up to 6000+ rounds. That is shooting ..2-.3 groups. For a varmint rifle, that number could possible be twice. And this cartridge is winnig over the 6ppc in score shooting, and just slightly behind it in other events!

Read here: http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

For a repeater: perhaps a 20-222, wich is just a neck down, no other steps, and you have a 400 yard cartridge.

MachV,

No worries from me, I know you were razzing me a bit!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I already have a 22-250 AI, 22-6mm AI and 6-284 in the rack, adding a 243 just seems repetative to me but there is no doubt as to its level of performance. My brother has a Ruger M77MkII in the varminter chambered in 243 and he shoots the 55 gr Ballistic tips to 4250 fps pretty comfortably with sub 1/2 moa groups. It is truely an awsome varmint hammer out to 500 yards or so, even farther in good conditions.

As to my ideas playing with the hornet case, you picked up on what I wanted to do, get a bit more performance then the HMR but in a reloadable cartridge. The HMR is a great little round but it gets spendy to shoot in higher volume. Once set up, I suspect the cost of a smaller centerfire 17 or 20 cal round would be at least half that of the 17 HMR ammo costs.

I am not sure how Rugers gets that finish on their barrels. I am sure it is some type of chemical surface treatment but do not know the process. Not sure if they have released the process to the public??

Thanks for your reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Norham,

THanks for the link, looked some of it over this morning, very interesting for sure!!!

I really like the idea of the 17 Ack. Hornet but in the very short Ruger rotary magazine, it is pretty cramped length wise with the tipped bullets. In the CZ there is a bit more breathing room. This is why I would like to shorten the case a bit without loosing any case capacity.

A 20 gr V-Max at 3900 fps would be pretty interesting but I do not think I would get that in my version as it would hold a bit less then the Ack design. Still, I suspect I could easily hit 3600-3650 fps with that bullet which would give a solid 1000 fps advantage over the 17 HMR and in a reloadable package.

Your 30 BR has alot of merit as well. Like you said, **** near endless barrel life and amazing accuracy. I have no experience with this round, is 3K fps a comfortable load with the 125 gr TNT? Sounds like alot but I have only worked with the larger caliber BR cases in single shot handguns.

Thanks for the info.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.