338 Lapua build - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by varmintH8R, Nov 15, 2012.

1. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

This is my first post here but I have been floating around the site for some time now and learning a ton. I have decided to have a 338 Lapua built, and I am basically starting from scratch in terms of my knowledge of the process (I've never had a custom built). So, I am looking for a ton of opinions and experiences from the members here: Actions, Stocks, Barrels, Gunsmiths, etc.

I am looking for a tactical/target type set-up, so weight is not a concern. My budget is in the $3K range (w/o optics), and I want very good (but not match) accuracy.

I am in Michigan but am not at all adverse to having a gun built/shipped from elsewhere if the shop is highly recommended.

Let fly with opinions! Thanks for the help.

2. mt_archer

mt_archer Well-Known Member

Minimum for action is Remington 700, but by the time you get after market bolt, or open up the face and install a sako or m16 extractor, have threads recut, blue printed, etc, custom action is not much more expensive. I run a 338 lap AI on 700 with Tubb bolt, and it is fine, but only because I already had the action. Any high end barrel will be fine, but Kreiger seems to be really good at 338s. Don't try to save a hundred bucks for cheap barrel. If you want magazine, longer is always better. More options. I like the seekins, and think it is longest available. Good stock is must for heavy rifle. McMillan is my preference, but Manners is right with them in quality, I think. I personally cannot shoot a big scope mounted high without high cheek rest, so I think adjustable cheek is best route, especially if you change scopes, rings, or adjust your form. Even on heavy rifle, I prefer very light trigger, so I use 8oz Jewell on mine. Most high end triggers are good, and most for 700 work on custom actions. I'd avoid those without safeties, but I consider all my rifles hunting rifles. Just try to flesh it all out with your builder before you start, and do a complete build list. Look at all contingencies, such as threading for suppressor, if that may happen later. And enjoy your rifle. It's always fun to have one built.

3. sj-pratt

sj-pratt Official LRH Sponsor

If your a reloader 338 Lapua Improved cost no more if your doing a custom build and has alot better performance.

I would start with

Stiller 338 action
    Barrel from your choice manufacturer
    Jewell Trigger
    Mcmillian or Manners Stocks
    Bottom Metal BDL type

Could put a pretty nice rifle together for maybe 3000.00

Good Luck

4. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

Sincere thanks to both of you for the replies - great information as I get my education on this caliber and the process of having a rifle built. I do reload and will definately research 338 LM improved

To the forum at large: any other ideas or recommended gunsmiths for the build?