Opinions wanted......

Did this project ever get off the ground?

I have a remington model 7 CDL in .223 that I plan on barreling in 6x45 and I'd like to hear some peoples experiences with it

I plan to use the 65gr Vmax for varmints, 87gr Hornady HPBT for big game and potentially the 95gr SMK or BVLD for maybe a bit of LR paper punching/gong bonging

I never realy loked at this post i guess , but Kirby the 6mm-223 is a perfect round for what you want. I have two one in an AR and another in Encore.

You can push the 55gr 6mm Ballistic tips a good bit faster out of this than the regular 223 can push the 55gr 22cal Ballistic tips and the BC on the 6mm is higher.
Another great benifit is the barrel life , the bore to powder ration on the 6mm-223 is a good bit better than the 308 so you can possibly get well over 4000 rounds through it.
One more great thing is that the higher bore to powder ratio makes the round ALOT more effecient and you can likely get all the speed you need out of a 20"-22" barrel and a barrel that short is gonna be stiff and as we all know that aids in accuracy.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want any load data

.223 AI, 8 twist 22" barrel. You can fireform all day with Winchester White box or standard .223 loads. 40-50g pills to 450 yds. 75 Amax beyond. Proven combo that feeds reliably.

Kirby

Looks like you have a lot to think about with all the post so
I will just add to the choices.

I have built a few rifles in 243 WSSM and have been very impressed
with there performance. (NOT JUST VELOCITY) .

I like the 223 but hate loading because of the small rifle primers and
small cases (big Hands).

The WSSM's use large rifle primers and can be loaded to over 4000ft/sec
but can also be loaded down to 3300ft/sec with 55 & 70gr bullets increasing
barrel life.

Brass is about $23.00 for 50 and can be reloaded many many times at reduced
pressures because of the high pressure design of the case.

With a range of bullets from 55 to 115gr and a velocity range of 3300 to 4100ft/sec
this would be a very versatile round and it looks cool to.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I know this has been covered and rejected, but I would love to have a 6.8 spc necked to 6mm. Silverstate armory is making lots of quality brass that is reasonably priced, and I really dont think that the 6.8 will go away anytime soon. There are simply too many ar's out there, and if you look over on ar15.com, you will see that it has taken on a nice following. I know I love mine. easy to load for.

6mm-6.8spc has already had some decent development, and would allow the use readily available inexpensive magazines. the only problem I see is the need to wade through the ar15.com clutter to find the in formation.

That being said, I like your hornet idea too. Seems less blah than 6-223. ymmv

A .243 with 70 grain hollow points would work just fine. :cool::) You could also keep a few 105 grainers in your pocket if you get a chance at a deer.gun)

Ok kirby

There are at least 90 people that are dying to hear what
and why you decided on for this biuld ,an I'm one of them.

Let us know "Please"

I know that half the fun of a biuld is in the planing and the other
is in the results.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

6mmTCU

Hi Kirby go with a 6mm TCU we are doing lots over here and using an 8 twist they shoot the 105gr A Max realy well for heavier animals and the 55gr Nosler Balistic tip is probably the best of the 5gr 6mm projectiles. The 6mmTCU is easy to get dies for and just neck up the 223 case then fireform while shooting on the next shot you can gain a bit more capacity with a case that you will never have to trim.

Cheers Bill

I have been thinking over the last several months that I need to build myself a new varmint rifle for this next season but in looking at the arsenal I already have, the only really lacking area would be for a high volume shooter for use on gophers and P. dogs out to say 400 yards max.

Anyway, have been thinking about this and have come back to the same round every time. See, the goals I have for this rifle chambering will be as follows:

-300-400 round per day shooting volume
-400 yard reach
-Want 500 rounds loaded up at all times ready to roll
-Very low risk of bullet bouncing around after shots down range
-Very low recoil
-Good valocity for flat shooting out to 400 yards
-low muzzle blast
-very accurate

I am not opposed to wildcats but do not want to fireform. With a high volume shooter, forming 500 or more cases just is not practical in my opinion. Sure you can form while shooting but do not want it. Wildcat options must be able to be cold formed.

What I keep coming up with is taking a 223 Rem for a parent case(cheap as hell) and necking it up to 6mm in a 1-12 to 1-14 twist. The bullets I will be using will be the 55 gr Ballistic Tip, 55 gr Blitzking or 60 gr Wildcat bullets.

So why a 6mm-223 Rem? Well, with these weight bullets, it will easily match standard 22-250 velocity levels with the same bullet weight in same length barrels because of the larger diameter bore. Also, if you look at the BC of the 55 gr 224 cal Ballistic Tip and the 55 gr 6mm Ballistic Tip, the 6mm has an advantage. Really get something for nothing here.

So why not go with the 6-250. WOuld be a great option, no doubt but I want as much barrel life as possible in this little rifle and there is no comparision between the two in this area. Sure I could get another 100-150 fps out of the 250 version but at a cost of barrel life. This was however my second choice.

With heavier bullets, the larger 6mm on the 250 case would have a certain advantage but I will not be shooting bullets over 400 yards out of this rifle, have an entire line of rifles that can reach out long way and almost as many small ones that can take care of the close range stuff.

THis one will be my 150 to 400 yard rifle.

Anyway, just curious what your thoughts would be on the ultimate 400 yard and under high volume varmint round would be for you. Since we are well into the cold of winter up here, need to start thinking about warmer days in the field reducing varmint populations!!!

Personally, I think a 6-223 Rem loaded with a 55 gr Blitzking to 3600 fps would be very hard to beat for this specific use.

The 6mm BR would also be a great choice and very hard to beat but the 6-223 would feed much better in a repeater as well, plus they **** near give away 223 cases now days!! Not quite the case for the BR cases.

Curious what yours would be. Got to smile when I sit here and imagine the rifles sitting out on the next varmint shoot, 218 Mashburn Bee for out to 200 yards, 6-223 for out to 400 yards, 22-250 AI for out to 600 yards, 6-284 for out to 1000 yards, and old Black Sunshine to play clean up from there on out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok kirby

There are at least 90 people that are dying to hear what
and why you decided on for this biuld ,an I'm one of them.

Let us know "Please"

I know that half the fun of a biuld is in the planing and the other
is in the results.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

+1 Yes... talk to us. :)

I will be honest, When I started this thread, I was just getting started designing and working on the Raptor receiver. I got the test barrel in but have not taken the time to even fit it to the receiver. I have everything here, just no time for that project yet.

With the ability to cold form brass, I still feel this would be about the best, most economical high volume shooter out there.

Certainly larger capacity 6mm rounds like the 6mm BR, 6-250 and 243 would offer more velocity and the ability to use heavier bullets but they also use more powder and in some cases have much less barrel life.

Still, I will admit, with all the other projects and trying to get out from under nearly 30 receivers that were over a year in getting in shop, I have not had time to play with this idea more. Maybe this summer.

Kirby Allen(50)

Bill, what's the barrel/velocity with the 105A-Max?

Hi Kirby go with a 6mm TCU we are doing lots over here and using an 8 twist they shoot the 105gr A Max realy well for heavier animals and the 55gr Nosler Balistic tip is probably the best of the 5gr 6mm projectiles. The 6mmTCU is easy to get dies for and just neck up the 223 case then fireform while shooting on the next shot you can gain a bit more capacity with a case that you will never have to trim.

Cheers Bill

Thanks
Peter

I would be interested in any loading data anyone has for the 6x45, mine is 8-10 weeks away still and I can't wait to get my mitts on it

I'm thinking of using either 87gr Hornady BTHPs for hunting, maybe the 55gr Ballistic tips if I get bored of varminting with my .223 and .243... what sort of velocities can you realistically get with the 55grs?

and if I feel like doing some target shooting, 95gr VLDs or SMKs

It's going to have a 1:8 20" MAB Stainless barrel, I'm not very happy with remington though - brand new model 7 CDL, out of the box - and the rim around the boltface had a stress fracture in it. Having to wait for a new bolt to arrive:mad: Great quality control guys.

Hard to give advice to someone who has forgot more about reloading/shooting than I'll ever know. I have two gun projects being completed as of now.

1) 300WM by Gre'Tan
2) 204 ruger by Clay Spencer

I am looking at either a Bat or Nesika in 308BF for a LR varmint rifle. After lot's of research and speaking with several individuals who had this chamber, I can't think of a better round than the 6X47L as others suggested.

All a matter of perspective.

Wade

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.