First precision rifle.... Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Mitch Rapp, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Mitch Rapp

Mitch Rapp Well-Known Member

Ok, not trying to make a Savage vs Remington thread, but those are the two rifle I am looking at. I was set on the Savage, when someone suggested this Remington. I don't know enough to decide which is "Better" but I am partial to the Savages.

Here is what I was planning to get.
    Savage 308 20 5R THREAD BL $728.00 SHIPS FREE

And here is what was suggested to me.
    Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD 308 Hogue Overmolded Ghillie Green $645.00 SHIPS FREE

Really at a loss to know which would be better for a beginner.

2. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

3. Mitch Rapp

4. Speck

Speck Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with either for what you wanna do. Remingtons are better looking rifles IMO but I rather the Savages. I like the fact that the Savage trigger can be pulled down lighter and I think the Savage is a HS precision stock. Both will shoot well for "out of the box" guns. In the FTR matches I shoot in I see many "Stock" Savages but very few "Stock" Remingtons. I see alot of Remington actions "Trued up" on the line but they all have custom barrels, stocks, and triggers. Good luck!

5. Mitch Rapp

Thanks!

I think I will go with the Savage. I have heard good things about the 5R rifling as well.