Opinions wanted......

Sean,

Have to see if the numbers work out as I expect them to. Some say it is not possible. I tend to not pay to much attention to naysayers and prove it to myself.

If it does not get what I expect it will, I will freely report my results and admit I did not get what I wanted and was wrong. Whats the harm in trying, anyway you look at it, the 6-223 would be a hell of a high volume varmint round!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,

I think the 6mm-223 would be a great round for what you are looking at doing. I would last for ever and would be easy to clean and not carbon-up. Low recoil, low noise,low muzzel blast,you could shoot this thing all day long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also think you will get the velocity that you are looking for. I base this on 100gr. bullets in a 257 weatherby and a 264 win mag. I can load a 264 a good bit faster with the same bullet type and weight.

The 6mm-223 would be my vote for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lovetohunt,

Thank you for your comments. I agree with what you are seeing. Given same bullet weights in different calibers, you will always get higher velocity potential out of the larger bore.

I have tested this in the following and in every case it comes out the same:

223 vs 6mm TCU w/ 55 gr
22 BR vs 6mm BR w/ 55 gr
22-250 vs 6-250 w/ 55 gr
243 vs 260 w/ 100 gr
260 vs 7mm-08 w/ 120 gr
7mm-08 vs 308 w/ 150 gr
25-06 vs 270 w/ 100 gr
270 vs 30-06 w/ 150 gr
30-06 vs 338-06 w/ 180 gr
300 WSM vs 338 WSM w/ 180 gr
257 STW vs 7mm STW w/ 120 gr
257 AM vs 6.5mm AM w/ 140 gr

These are just the start of the chamberings I have tested with same case capacities using same bullet weights in different bore diameters.

In every case, the larger bores all produced higher top end velocites with similiar barrel lengths. This advantage ranged from about 75 fps up to 200 fps with some comparisions.

Now obviously, the larger calibers on average will have lower BC values compared to the smaller caliber bullets of same weight. That said, for the ranges I am looking to use this little varmint round at, 400 yards or less, the added velocity will make up for any BC disadvantage out to these ranges so BC really is not a concern as long as the two bullets, 22 cal and 6mm are similiar in BC and in the bullet weights I want to use they are very similiar.

YOu are right, you could probably get a full day of shooting in with a 6-223 and not worry to much about cleaning the powder fouling out.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I love that attitude. It is funny to me all the people that are familiar with what can't be done.

I defintately think for the projects I intend to have you create, that 6-223 will be the perfect practice platform...

Re: Opinions wanted, again.....

Fiftydriver,
Have you checked out a .17 squirel? I believe it based on a shorten hornet case. It could be just what you are looking for in your ruger.Saubier should have some info on it. Todd at woodchuck den might be able to give some info on it as well. He sells dies in this calibre I believe.
Regards.
hjl

Kirby,

How about a 243 Catshooter (ie. a 223 necked to 6mm with the neck area at .262)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

James

Kirby,

I like to reload as much as the next guy. I just can't figure out why you would want to stray from the .223, in an AR platform this seems to fit what you want to a "T". For the modest gains from the 6mm-223 it doesn't seem to add enough benefit for ranges out to 400. Why not just use a longer pipe? say 24-30" this will boost velocity to what the 6mm would give you.
If you really want to do some high volume shooting get a chromed lined barrel and go to town. I burn through 400-500rnds in two hours every trip out (5-8 shoots a year) in the spring and my barrel is going on 6 years of hard use with no ill effects. It's no benchrest gun but holds MOA out to 400. I have to reload all winter so I have enough to get me through the spring when the dog-towns go HOT.
gophers1.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

Ptaylor,

Valid points for sure. Nothing at all wrong with the 223. And you are correct that with a longer barrel you could make up alot of the velocity advantage for the 6mm bore but I want to keep barrel length to 27" or less.

I have several 223s in the safe. Maybe I just need to shoot them and save the money to pay for the next AM I dream up!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Chawlston,

that would be pretty much what am looking to do. I thought the 243 catshooter was on the 243 Win case though. I am probably wrong though and thinking of one of the other 243 wildcats, there are alot of them!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Im with Ptaylor on this one 50......granted we dont get to have fun in rat towns down here.....but who wants to load 2 or 3 thousand rounds? buy 223 by the case a large can of break free...Go to Town!

I hope I didn't talk you out of a new rifle. Build whatever floats you boat thats what makes this stuff so fun. Whatever you decided shoot it so much you can't stand to look at it anymore.

Never been to a dog town dont know nothing about it! but why would someone wanna do all that reloading? I had a Bushmaster once you could shoot it shoot it and shoot it some more...very accurate! But no way would I ever wanna do that much reloading. If i ever went doggin" Thats what Id do it with an....AR-?? Pick your brand!

Kirby is building me a 270AM......Big game!

You know what I just lied.....I have shot parrie dogs in CO....with a valmet model 76....in 223.

[ QUOTE ]
Chawlston,

that would be pretty much what am looking to do. I thought the 243 catshooter was on the 243 Win case though. I am probably wrong though and thinking of one of the other 243 wildcats, there are alot of them!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby,

You are thinking of the Catbird. I am actually making a joke because of some of the responses you received from certain individuals..

James

Chawlston,

There you go, thats the one I was thinking of. Actually that one may be on the 270 case if I am not mistaken.

With all the wildcats out there I can not keep up with what is a recommendation or a joke, should have picked up on that one though. Maybe to little sleep with the new little one slowing me mind down!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.