Novice reloader looking for help

I think you should check all the cases you have been firing, for thinning just above the case head/belt area with the bent paper clip or o-ring pick as suggested by others. I have seen dents like that from splits in the lower part of the case and/or complete separations of the case head. If one of your cases is showing this all the others are likely the same or close-you can't save them. Don't let this happen View attachment 349270
View attachment 349271

Excess lube on the cases during sizing or plugged breather hole, in my experience, cause dents on the shoulder not the case body.
YES

How have you installed the full length die?
1. Followed manufacturer's instructions.
2. Screwed into press some amount; perhaps as far as to contact the shell holder.
3. Tried to adjust amount of shoulder bump to match chamber size.

Do you have any tools to compare case length?
little related issue yesterday with a new caliber 264 WM , Nosler once fired brass, full length Redding with decapping removed, Brownell expander. chambering the brass before loading got an ever so slight hang when pulling back on the bolt during extraction on half of them. adjusted the full length die and gave it a little more bump and it was butter. does this make sense? I figured it was too much or too little.

The first thing would do is buy a comparator tool. If you have one case that does this you will probably find out why. This tool is the easiest way to get consistent cases and consistent accuracy. And the easiest way to set up your dies. I use the hornady . It's cheap and works fine . Good luck.

I have seen the dents before in other rounds, specifically the 7RUM (mentioned earlier). I think it has been passed down before that it is due to lack of the brass sealing in the chamber. In the overbore magnums this can happen in low pressure loads. This can be caused by a low amount of powder (starting load) or a phenomena called powder bridging. This has been explained before and can be searched further.
Specifically:

'Fiftydriver said:
Basically, when X amount of powder is trying to pass through a certain diameter hole, it has a limit in how fast the powder can flow through this opening.

With a very large case capacity round with a modern, sharp shoulder angle, this becomes a problem with smaller caliber cases. Now this depends on the caliber as well as the diameter of the case powder column and the total powder volume.

What happens is when a round is ignited by the primer, the blast from the primer forces the powder in the case foward until it is stopped by the shoulder and seated bullet. Then it begins to ignite.

As the pressure inside the case increases from the rear of the case forward, it increases the pressure on the powder. Powder bridging occurs when the pressure actually locks the powder granuals together because they simply can not pass though the neck of the case and pressure increases dramatically.

In the case of my Allen Mags, the 257 and 6.5mm are the only two that so far have had this problem. The simple cure is to use Ball powder. This solves the problem simply because this powder shape can flow at MUCH higher rates through even smaller neck diameters then any stick powder.

In the 270 and larger Allen Magnums, this has not been a problem at all but I still generally use the real slow burning ball powders simply because of their lower burn temps and they are much easier on the throat of the chamber as the powder is forced through.

Hope this helps some.

Kirby Allen(50)"

RoyInIdaho experienced it with his .270 Allen Magnum and I do not remember the powder he was using. I haven't heard from him in quiet a while. I have a .270AM but I haven't experienced it, as I have mostly shot US869 in it.

Back to your picture; it does appear that you have had a case head separation with this case and may just be the reason you lost pressure at the neck/shoulder junction. If this is a case head separation you can not use this case again and you need to check the other cases for the same.

As i understand the discussion, the case appeared this way only after firing and appeared normal after reloading and before firing?
That is not something i have ever seen in 50+ years reloading. But i have done it by over-lubricating when FL sizing. Especially when adjusting FL die per box instructions, instead of adjusting very carefully (what people call "bumping"). If you are new to reloading, it is difficult to appreciate HOW LITTLE case lube is needed - and the enormous pressure you can apply to the outside of the case with the mechanical advantage of the press…
The absence of gas residue anywhere up around the neck - and wrinkles - makes it harder to conclude there was any gas leakage (case head separation or any type of chamber sealing failure).
Can you be VERY sure it did not go into the chamber looking this way, after reloading? Please excuse me if im being insulting- but i have done some thoughtless things myself, that i failed to catch…😏.

As i understand the discussion, the case appeared this way only after firing and appeared normal after reloading and before firing?
That is not something i have ever seen in 50+ years reloading. But i have done it by over-lubricating when FL sizing. Especially when adjusting FL die per box instructions, instead of adjusting very carefully (what people call "bumping"). If you are new to reloading, it is difficult to appreciate HOW LITTLE case lube is needed - and the enormous pressure you can apply to the outside of the case with the mechanical advantage of the press…
The absence of gas residue anywhere up around the neck - and wrinkles - makes it harder to conclude there was any gas leakage (case head separation or any type of chamber sealing failure).
Can you be VERY sure it did not go into the chamber looking this way, after reloading? Please excuse me if im being insulting- but i have done some thoughtless things myself, that i failed to catch…😏.
6mmfan: I would believe that if the one round went in that way, upon firing the pressure would have expanded the round to match the chamber. IMO something else during the firing caused the issue.

Before anybody wastes any time correcting me…
Yes, i'm wrong; i have only seen these wrinkles ON SHOULDER, not below it, due to over-lubing; I stand corrected!