New reloader looking for help.

howlemup

I need someone to post a pic of a 300wm brass that was over pressure and shows a definitive mark from the ejector and any other over pressure sign that is present on the head of the case. Specifically from Rem 700 with factory ejector.

I think I am seeing things that are not there and maybe reading to much into it but want to be safe. The load I am working with right now is shooting great but I thought I was seeing signs of over pressure on the head stamp but not sure. Current load is
300wm
Rem Brass
Fed 215 primer
Berger 230gr. OTM hybrid tactical
74.0gr H1000
.020" off the lands

I don't have a chronograph so I validated my drop at 425 yards and came up with a velocity of 2554 fps velocity. Could I be over pressure and have such a low velocity? Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice I can get.

The Hodgdon manual says 76.0 grains is max with that bullet with velocity over 2700 fps. If you're not sure if there are ejector marks or not I'd say it's not a problem. Some of the softer brass varieties will flow into the ejector hole quite a bit with loads that are still plenty safe. I used Norma brass in my 270 WSM for a while and I could count the firings on my brass by the ejector marks. Primers will start to flatten significantly as you approach max pressure and you'll notice more difficulty opening the bolt as you hit the max. Even at that point you're only maxing out the pressure the brass can handle, the gun can handle a bit more. If you need a hammer to get the bolt open you are approaching dangerous pressure. When developing loads for my rifles I go by the "sticky bolt lift". Once I find that point I consider my max load to be a grain or so below that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.