Novice reloader looking for help

cbk57 In the picture of the case your finger is covering the bottom of the case. Is there a black ring around the case? Or is that black ring just crud against the belt edge on the case? Or a line where the case is going to separate?

HOW ARE YOU MEASURING YOUR POWDER?
I would say the cases with the weird indented marks, Had a low load of 7828.
CHECK YOUR SCALES or POWDER CHARGING SYSTEM and LOADING DATA. This could be dangerous.

I saw a lot of cases that looked like that, Back in the late 1960's. When Hodgden came out with military surplus 4831 powder in paper bags and sole it for .75 (Seventy Five Cents a Pound) in bulks of 50lb. orders.
At the factory I was working in we would pool money 1.00 a pound and order 100 lb. at a time. Divide it up in the parking lot.
The new magnum shells had little loading data available. And Hodgdon did not have a lot of data on 4831.
Some of my friends tried to start of with light loads of 4831 powder in their, 264 WM, 7mm Remington Mag. 7mm Sharp & Hart and some wild cat 25-06 rifles. They brought several case in to work and ask, (" What the H@!! is happening to my shell cases".)

At that time one of the gun magazines wrote an article on using low loads of Surplus 4831, Causing these problems and pictures.
As soon as we got loads worked up to pressure, No more sucked in case.
Good Luck and be SAFE in the adventure.

The reason has been covered, excessive case Lub and blocked vent hole in the die.The case can be recovered by putting slightly lighter load in it and fire it, the case will blow out to the chamber and recover it's shape.

Looks like running to much lube combined with vent hole clogged! That's where I would start! Looks like you sealed some air in that die when forming! Like others have said! …………..Clean the die completely including vent! Lube cases with just enough lube! To much (dents). To little (stuck case)! I'd rather have a dent! Good luck and enjoy the rabbit hole!

Looks like running to much lube combined with vent hole clogged! That's where I would start! Looks like you sealed some air in that die when forming! Like others have said! …………..Clean the die completely including vent! Lube cases with just enough lube! To much (dents). To little (stuck case)! I'd rather have a dent! Good luck and enjoy the rabbit hole!
OP said the dents occurred on firing, not sizing.

This is definately caused by pressure escaping into the chamber around the case. The black ring around the base by your thumb indicates a gas leak even though you say there is no sign of damage to the case. I've had this happen on my 300 Win Mag, but it was due to case separation. I agree with starting with 1-1/2 to 2 grains below max and work up from there. Good luck.
still personally I find it so strange.. I SQUASHEM MY shells with too much lube on the past... I split in half my necks. because I wasn't annealing. I always charge almost to the max and work out the load.. I always full resize my shells. I check my neck tension now.. and I try all m resized shell in the chamber and lock the bolt. I turn the neck if need to specs for reload. but..... i' m at my 15 16 reload with my Brass... and sorry to say it.only hornady Brass gave me problems and short life... the federal that I use... is.my best Brass compare to Hornady or Winchester. (never got new Brass I always start my.loads with used one time shot factory ammo...) again clearly on the picture he posted he has a case separation.. that all of us saw and we know that his load is too low is just a case but it will happen again

agree with DMAGNA with the lube and or vent hole in die. Clean the die first, but the pic shows case separation or is the lube ring ? Which lube you using - I only use the Redding Both the Imperial sizing die wax and the Dry neck lube / BB's

Last edited:
That's a case head separation. I've seen it many times with my 7mm STW back in the old days when we made cases out of 300 Weatherby brass. You had a leak in that case that caused a pressure differtial where the pressure pushed forward towards the neck and made those dimples. You are likely over bumping the shoulder causing brass thinning just above the belt. Drop your shoulder bump to 1-3 thou and be really careful shooting any of that brass you've been over working. Check for bumps using a paper clip or dental pick. Toss the ones that have signs of the start of separation.
Ditto Walker is right on I did same thing following die instructions that are included with dies. Imperative that you check for internal separation before reloading anymore. More than likely will need to toss all brass resized in this fashion. Should see. Bright ring appearing just above the belt

Bump your load up, to get a decent pressure seal, and when sizing, make sure you ignore that belt; set your die to make the case headspace on the shoulder.

The reason has been covered, excessive case Lub and blocked vent hole in the die.The case can be recovered by putting slightly lighter load in it and fire it, the case will blow out to the chamber and recover it's shape.
You are giving bad advise. The case has a head separation issue and cannot be reused. Blow the picture up on a computer and it is clearly visible. This happened when it was fired in the rifle, not during a resizing process.

You need more powder. you need to be on the upper side of the data instead of the lower side. If I recall some where in the post
i read this is a 7mm RUM if so it's a prime example of under loading a over bore case . Lots of smiths won't touch the 7mm RUM or the 30- 378 just to name a couple ,and their are others because most people don't understand the dangers of under loading certain cartridges.

I probably would be guessing ,so I won't, but if you can post a couple of good pics , someone will probably know .
Novice reloader, loading about a year now, i was working on load development for my 7MM RM, was on low end of charge and 1 round developed 3 wrinkles just below case neck, brass was of name brand, this was the 3rd time it had been loaded, i was clocking the rounds and it was in range of the 6 rounds i speed checked, can anyone tell me why only this one case did this.
So this happens up on firing the round? If not at exactly what stage of reloading?

Recent Posts