(novice)338RUM 300gr berger help

cblackwell

Hello all, I will have a 338 rum in my hands shortly. 28" bartlien 9.3 twist. Today I picked up 500 berger hybrid OTM 300gr along with some nosler brass. looking for the 338rum reloaders to chime in on what is working well for them? On a side note I fully understand that no two rifles are the same and would need to back down charge weights and work up slowly, no issues there. I have h-1000 and retumbo to try. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any advice.

Using Fed 215 primers (not GM) and Berger 300s:

90.5 of Retumbo = 2770 FPS
101 of US-869 = 2735 FPS
89.5 H-1000 = 2703 FPS -accurate load
101.5 H50BMG = 2750 FPS - goto load. Compressed. Can't get enough BMG in there to have a problem.

Rifle is Rem 700 w/26" sporter barrel.

Oh, if you load hot I'm thinking you're pretty much not going to appreciate your case life expectancy.

Roy, thanks for the info it is very much appreciated!!! Do you have any thoughts (advice) on where these like to run in relation to the lands? Seems the VLD's favor being closer to them. Just curious if if I should treat them as a VLD or not. This rifle will have a wyatts mag box installed and the goal will be to run it as a repeater. Thanks again!!!

All of my LR rifles are single shot actions.

With the Bergers jammed into the rifling so hard that extracting the loaded round results in the bullet stuck in the bore.

Accuracy was so extraordinary. Regular sub 1/4 300 yard 3 shot groups.

I seated the bullet just deep enough to alleviate the problem. Accuracy remains under 1/2 MOA. Even with its Remmy Tupperware stock this thing shoots right along with my 270 and 375 Allen Mags.

Every once in awhile a blind hog will find an acorn. :D

I have been running 88grs of H-1000 with the 300gr SMK .010" off the lands in my RUM at 2,734 fps for several years know.

In my new Edge I started out with the 300gr Bergers and have been absolutely impressed with them! With load I found a sweet spot at .035 off the lands. I plan on switching the RUM over to the Bergers this summer. I would recommend H-1000 for your RUM even if you give up a few fps to the other powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.