Need help with a 338RUM

Randy338

Ok guys I can not get this thing to shoot as good as I like...I want to shoot the 210 grain ScirrocoII. I have loaded 4831SC and I am working with RL25 know...Walked to bullet from .005 off the land to .075 off the lans and i am shooting a little under a inch...I want to get down to at least a constant.750 group at a hundred with this bullet any ideas. the barrel is a Shilen Fluted with a holland Brake on it at 27 3/4 with out brake. Oh yea Federal match 215 magnum primers...Help please... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Welcome aboard. Hmmmm, trying to shave <0.25" off of <1.0" @ 100 with a 338 RUM sporter! That's getting down to the fine points!

Assumptions:
Stock pillar & skim bedded
Stock is a proper one for the 100yd bench shooting.
Also, if u're shooting from a bipod, i like Froggy's advice about preloading it in the article on 6mmbr.com-- "bugholes From Bipods." (Kyped from sscoyote's post on another thread)
Proper barrel break in
Barrel is free floated except for maybe an inch or so ahead of the receiver.
Action and bolt are mated/trued/squared(Blue printed)
Primers seated w/a hand tool
Scope at least 14X with parallax adjusted out.
Fine cross hair reticle or very small dot
There is never any wind when you shoot
Shooting from pedestal w/ears up front and sand bag in rear.
Shooting from very solid bench with a decent seat
Chrono says SD and ES in single digits (not absolutely necessary @ 100 yds.
Probably a 12" twist for the short bullet? But the twist is more than likely 1 in 10"?
Brass is properly prep'd to the goal you have.
Loaded rounds are straight.

What if you looked at things just a bit differently? How about a goal of 0.75 MOA instead of 0.75" @ 100. Move your target out to 300 yds and you may already be there. The 338 RUM isn't much of a 100yd cartridge and with the 210 weight bullet it's a bit handicapped down range. 300 yds is a good distance to analyze performance with the cartridge.

Lastly the bullet you chose may well not be the one that gets the last little bit of consistency in your rifle.

HTH, I've just been there and done that w/a 338 RUM project. I never did get the bullet I wanted to shoot even 1 MOA at any distance but got the one I should have chosen first shooting pretty well for what I use its intended use.

Marriedman,

Welcome to LRH, good bunch of guys here with a wealth of knowledge.
Here are some loads that I developed in my M700 LSS 338 RUM w/ a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 scope. I am using R-P brass and Federal GM215M primers.

200 gr BT
RL22 90.0 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .325"

200 gr AB
RL22 92.0 grs
best 3 shot group at 420 yds 2.265" (2 shots were .507")

210 gr PT
RL22 92.0 grs
best 4 shot group @ 100 yds .425"
best 3 shot group @ 300 yds 1.285" (2 shots were .590")

JD338

first thing that came to my mind was the accubond also. i would also try cci250 primers and h1000 powder. just try different bullets.some guns just like a certain bullet over others.

Of the 4 elk that my 338 RUM have taken, 2 were with Accubonds. It is a devastating round. My best 4 shot group with the Accubonds was 2 1/2" at 440 yds. The Swift A-Frames worked fine as well, but do not have the ideal BC you are probably looking for.

The only complaints I had with the Accubond was that the top round in the mag had a little deformation after firing. I was hoping the polymers would not deform as badly as lead tipped bullets. The second, was that the bullet blew up on impact on an elk at about 320 yds. I don't know what happened there. The other elk taken was at about 280 and the bullet went on through.

Man you guys are great...i will work with some Accubonds today at 225 grains...as for optics i have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 LR. 50 mm with 30mm tube...One person said it could be the Holland Break since it does not port frm all four sides.only the sides and top...I dont think Holland would sell it if it dont work... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you are open to other bullets, the accubond would be it.

Nope, it ain't the Holland QD!

Plenty of 338 Shooters around here, and good ones at that!

Here are my 225 gr loads that for my 338 RUM.
R-P brass and Federal GM215M primers.

225 gr PT
RL22 90.5 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .450"

225 gr AB
RL25 96.0 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .567"

Hope this helps.

JD338

what is everyone seeing in a oal length or jump of the 338 bullets.for a 210 and a 225 i am about .075 off the lands to get what i got currently....do these like jump???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is a lot of free bore and no way to reach the lands unless you load as a single shot. I just load to the magazine max length.

JD338

I couldn't make the 4831 or 3100 shoot good in my 338 either. I tried the scirocco and the barnes xlc's too. I ended up going with the 225 Accubonds and RL22. It was the most accurate I found. I hope that helps.

My M700 shoots the 225 accubond into about .75" at 200 yds with the Fed 215GM primer and 92 gr IMR7828SSC powder. Like JD338 I just load mine to magazine length. Haven't tried any other bullets or powder, didn't feel the need to. Have killed one elk and one whitetail with that bullet, performance was textbook.
Good luck,
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.