Reloading manual for a novice

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Fellas, have always wanted to reload, more for hobby and precision then for saving $$.

I am ignorant on where to start.

Can someone recommend a good book/manual that can explain equipment, processes, some generic loads and the basic science behind it all? Looking to expand my knowledge a bit before I go out and start loading up on equipment and brass.

Thanks guys, yes, tons of info for free on the net, but when I travel for work, it's really easiest to have physical book with me. I already spend too much time hunched over my phone/tablet

I put the Lyman on order for starters

I'm considered a novice still as I have only been reloading for a year, but for manuals I always go to hodgdon online manual first, then cross references it with my hornady 10th edition. If you start getting into some not as popular loads or bullets, sierra has some available online and Nosler has some great published data also.

What rounds are you thinking of starting with?

.300wm is really it, for now.

If I build another caliber it will be probably he something thing smaller/cheaper like something from the 6.5 family.

As mentioned the Lyman one is a great manual. No prejudice towards certain bullets, powder, cases or primers. Just solid info.

I like Nosler, Speer#12/13 (these have really solid instructions on reloading steps and techniques) and Lyman.

Just to help you get started, I ALWAYS go to the bullet manufacturers data first, if they DO NOT list my chosen powder, then I will go with the powder manufacturers/distributors data.
Also, a manual is a GUIDE, it is not GOSPEL as some will lead you to believe.

Good luck with it, handloading is a great learning experience and also very enjoyable.

Cheers.
:)

Over all the Sierra Manual has been the best of them all for me. Their suggested accuracy and hunting loads under each bullet have usually been spot on for me over the past 40 years even with different make bullets of the same weight. Only thing I don't like about this manual is the way it is put together. The pages are too easy to tear out of the notebook type rings. But the information found in this manual is great and will teach you how to reload ammo. No you will not be saving any money getting into reloading but you will be able to really find out just how well your weapons will shoot by tailoring a load for them and if you are like me and end up with s few wildcats reloading is the only way to shoot them. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.