New Reloader Need Help

DougDownRange

Looking to purchase a new reloader for my new 300 winny. Wanting to be able to make accurate long range loads as well as possible handgun loads. I was looking into the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press but I read that the auto drum is +/- 0.1 gr for a lot of people on their powder charge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many many years ago I started out with a Starr Progressive Turret Press.
(Image below courtesy of Q&A: What type reloading press should I start off with? – Part I | Ultimate Reloader)
I was doing a lot of competitive pistol shooting in those days and I could load my practice pistol ammo almost faster than I could shoot it. It worked very well for that purpose. But I wouldn't use it or anything like it for loading consistently accurate long range rifle ammunition. Too many moving parts, too many tolerance variables.
If you want to load accurate long range ammo you're better off with a single stage press.
Lee makes a very good one: Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press - and there are other very good ones available from
RCBS RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press - RCBS AmmoMaster 2 Single Stage Press
Hornady Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press
Redding Redding 700 Ultramag Single Stage Press - reding single stage - MidwayUSA and others.

Attachments

• progressive-small.jpg
    progressive-small.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
.1gr is plenty accurate I don't weigh anything anymore just use a powder throw if your in an accuracy node .1gr will make no diffrence

I go down .02+-grain digital scale. Cheap out single stage press I would spend more quality dies and bullet seaters. My next step brass weighing and neck runout. Quest to go lower than .5 inch 300 yards 7mm setup

Have you done any 1000 yard loads? I know it will be awhile before I get up to that but would the turret press work for that or do you still recommend the single stage press?

My entire kit minus dies is the Lee one that was about $120 a few years ago.

It works and I can produce accurate, repeatable loads.

That said, if you can go to a place where they are laid out side by side and you can work the arms/stroke them up and down, I think you will find what you prefer. If I would have stroked them side by side, I would have bought the Rockchucker. It feels solid and has a positive end point unlike the Lee, I guess you get what you pay for.

Haven't changed because I'm cheap. Would rather spend on components.

I know this is been hashed out a lot several times before and everyone has there own opinion of what is the best. Out of all the presses out there I would not buy another one of the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press. Over time the pin in the arm warpped a little and would not bump the sholder on my 257 weatherby brass back this was about 3 years of use. I resolved the issues by buying a RCBS Rock Chucker. I have had it about 10 years now without any issues and its taken some minor abuse of removing a few stuck cases before and then ripping the case rem completely off. Not one of my prouder moments in reloading but stuck cases happen when you reload for a long time. sometime you make a mistake somewhere down the line. I also like Redding dies the most but I have Lees and RBS dies as well. They can make accurate ammo as well and save you some money. If I was getting into reloading I might get the hornady kit. It has about every thing in it and the dropper is not plastic parts like the Lee. I actually us the RBS charge master. Never had to change any setting on it to speed it up. It also about 8 years old. I suspect some day it will die on me but until then this is what I'm going to use. Below are a few links. the third one is the lee kit. It looks like every thing is metal well the drum is metal on the dropper so it might be worth it. One thing you will need is a case trimmer. I would get the RBS. It works great and has a course and fine setting adjustment. I would also get the hornady bullet comparator. I listed a few other tool that will aid greatly in making accurate ammo and also allow you to measure your shoulder bump when setting up your dies.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit

Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Basic Set 6 Inserts

Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Ga 5 Bushing Set Comparator

Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6 SS

RCBS Trim Pro-2 Manual Case Trimmer Kit

Just a couple of items that I have bought that save time, brass life, or aid in more accurate ammo making.

There are some things that you should not hesitate to spend a little more money on. Reloading equipment is one of them. If you buy quality equipment you will only buy it once (remember, only rich people can afford to buy cheap stuff). You spend lots of money on firearms and optics and then go cheap on reloading equipment? Doesn't make sense. I won't make a recommendation here but just buy good stuff. Really, it's not that much more. Years later you will not remember what you paid for your equipment. But that equipment will still be turning out quality ammo and you won't be having break downs.

My 2 cents worth. I started with a Pacific C Type press. High school days. Loaded alot of 7mm RM through it. Retired it a few years ago gave it away. Now I'm retired, and bought the Lock-N-Load. Didn't like the adapter/bushing idea at all. Hard to adjust in little increments backward. Sold it. Borrowed a Rock-Chucker. Ya it's been around for 1000 yrs. Probably like the 30-30 loaded more rounds around the world than anything else.

But, you're going to marry your press for life. So get one that really feels good.

I just got my Redding Big Boss II this week. Mainly because of the more open access to the shell head for shaky hands and more length from the shell head to the bottom of the bullet seating die. Again for old shaky hands.

And when listening to pro competitive shooters recommend the Redding Press or Arbor Press's. I took their lead. I really love this press. And the above comment re good bushing dies. Neck tension is probably the most significant issue in tight groups.

This is the best press I've ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.